Bond Butte Pond 2022

NKlamerus

NKlamerus

Most Featured
Wish I had some fish pictures to post, but one of my new years resolutions, other than fishing more, will be to hit bond butte more, I live less than 20 minutes away and I know there are some giants in there.

I fished it today for 3 hours and emptied my whole tackle box, not a single bite. Never even saw any bait or movement. Experimented with some colors and baits I usually don't throw

It was dead still, not terribly dirty but the worst I've seen it

Usually it's a wind tunnel, being right next to and parallel with I5, among all the grass feilds, the wind rips from the north the only calm spots are weed mats
84f4a640fecb0f9633b6ff0becbda36d.jpg

plumbertom

plumbertom

All I've ever caught there are small bluegill.
From what I read it's stocked with channel catfish now and then by ODFW and I've read reports of people catching catfish near 5 lbs.
It certainly looks like it would be good water for bass and with the numbers of small bluegill there is certainly plenty of forage to produce good sized large mouths. But the cold water could stunt their growth.
Then again, my understanding of how they relate is that you need to harvest 5 lbs. of bluegill to every pound of bass to grow bigger fish,
So grab the kids, even if you need to borrow them from the neighbors, the small Zebco's and bobbers, pick up a box of red worms and get out there to thin those blue gills and get the nose pickers started on a life long addiction that's good for them.

NKlamerus

NKlamerus

Most Featured
All I've ever caught there are small bluegill.
From what I read it's stocked with channel catfish now and then by ODFW and I've read reports of people catching catfish near 5 lbs.
It certainly looks like it would be good water for bass and with the numbers of small bluegill there is certainly plenty of forage to produce good sized large mouths. But the cold water could stunt their growth.
Then again, my understanding of how they relate is that you need to harvest 5 lbs. of bluegill to every pound of bass to grow bigger fish,
So grab the kids, even if you need to borrow them from the neighbors, the small Zebco's and bobbers, pick up a box of red worms and get out there to thin those blue gills and get the nose pickers started on a life long addiction that's good for them.
I would 100% recommend it for kids, it's loaded with bluegill and decent sized catfish, they did a net sample on 2015 and got at least one decent sized one. (Photos in link below)

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/pi.../30/net-sampling-at-bond-butte-pond/30919693/
I have seen some very nice bass caught out there via Facebook and fishbrain

As far as I can tell, based on Google Earth images back to 1985, it's never been drained. I can't find any more topo info or history on it, other than the fact it was gravel pit

Last edited: