Bobber fishing question

N
ninja2010
i'm gonna try my hand at bobber fishing for the first time tomorrow. how does one determine the depth of the water to set the bobber stop?

O
osmosis
adjust your bobber stop until you find bottom- and then adjust so your gear will be 1-2 feet from the bottom.

N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
adjust your bobber stop until you find bottom- and then adjust so your gear will be 1-2 feet from the bottom.

thanks, osmo. so i guess it takes a few casts to set it right... i thought there might be a "short cut" :lol:

O
osmosis
the short cut is remembering how deep the hole was for next time, or running over the spot with a boat and depth finder.
It is better to error on the side of not deep enough, rather than too deep (majority of the time).

N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
It is better to error on the side of not deep enough, rather than too deep (majority of the time).

not sure if i got this right... do you mean on the first cast (to check depth)? or on a typical drift/run?

O
osmosis
I meant on the first cast.

The reason I said majority of the time is that there are situations where having a bait/lure tumble right across the rocks picks up fish, but most of the time turns them off.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
I meant on the first cast.

The reason I said majority of the time is that there are situations where having a bait/lure tumble right across the rocks picks up fish, but most of the time turns them off.

gotcha! thanks a bunch.

O
osmosis
anytime.
hope you Kill some fish, and post some pics!

N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
anytime.
hope you Kill some fish, and post some pics!

if i kill 'em, you will see 'em. :dance:

N
ninja2010
okay, i have another question about bobber fishing.

does anyone rig their weight on the leader close to the hook? (i think this helps the casting tremendously.)

or do you normally rig it close to the swivel connecting the leader to main line?

how about spacing 3-4 split shots all along the leader?

F
Fishtopher
If im using 18" leader, I will put two split shot (or whatever it takes to set the float) on the leader about 2-3" under my swivel. I dont like to space out my split shot, I think it tangles on cast more often.

W
Whamaglass
I dont like using slip bobbers for steelhead. try a fixed bobber it may cure your casting problem. I like the solid hard plastic ones and the ones that you can pun water in to add weight. Give them a try it is much more simple to rig and adjust...:)

F
FishSchooler
Whamaglass said:
I dont like using slip bobbers for steelhead. try a fixed bobber it may cure your casting problem. I like the solid hard plastic ones and the ones that you can pun water in to add weight. Give them a try it is much more simple to rig and adjust...:)

Yeah but those can't be set more than 5 feet up if the rod is like 7 feet long...

W
Whamaglass
FishSchooler said:
Yeah but those can't be set more than 5 feet up if the rod is like 7 feet long...

This is true but I rarely run into this problem.

F
FishSchooler
Whamaglass said:
This is true but I rarely run into this problem.

so what if you are fishin a 12 foot deep stretch of river?

A
ArcticAmoeba
You are not fishing the right water.

N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:

yeah, then what?? huh, whama?? :think::think::think:

just kidding. i kinda like the slip bobber so i can control the depth. that's the cool part. just curious if anyone has different setups. right now, i just pinch slip shots under the swivel on a light line so if it hangs, i can easily break off.

W
Whamaglass
FishSchooler said:

Well I have 9 foot float rod. So I would probably rig it as deep as i could, probably about 9 or 10 feet... Again its an uncommon scenario.

W
Whamaglass
ninja2010 said:
yeah, then what?? huh, whama?? :think::think::think:

just kidding. i kinda like the slip bobber so i can control the depth. that's the cool part. just curious if anyone has different setups. right now, i just pinch slip shots under the swivel on a light line so if it hangs, i can easily break off.

And then Ill kick you out of my tree house!!:lol:

N
ninja2010
ArcticAmoeba said:
You are not fishing the right water.

does this apply to salmon too? i thought they hang deep and low...