Bobber fishing question

G
GreenDrifter
ninja2010 said:
does this apply to salmon too? i thought they hang deep and low...

The salmon will be down there.

N
ninja2010
GreenDrifter said:

thanks, greendrifter. and welcome aboard!!

so can you impart any words of wisdom to a neophyte (me) on bobber fishing technique?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
New favorite fishing forum

New favorite fishing forum

GreenDrifter said:

GreenDrifter;
Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to your new favorite fishing forum. Make yourself at home and check out all the archives of interest or use the search feature for specific topics. You will find we are very helpful and friendly. If you can't find an answer to your question just ask. On the other hand, if you feel like contributing or just informing,please feel free to add your two cents worth. Again, welcome and be safe.
Barb

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
You are not fishing the right water.

doesn't have to be in rivers.... argh I knew you were gonna say that... ;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
GD is one of my buds. He has a green drift boat! Fancy the moniker...:lol:

And FishSchooler, of course I would say that...Steelhead don't hang oot in deep pools. Just not their bag perhaps. But where will you be fishin for steelhead, that are not in rivers?

K
Kodiak
not in rivers

not in rivers

Junction City Pond:lol::rolleyes:

F
Fishtopher
ninja2010 said:
does this apply to salmon too? i thought they hang deep and low...
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong....Most of the time 'nooks hang in different spots of the river than steelies. Ya you can pull a nook and some steele outta the same spot sometimes, but like ol' Billy says, " The random cast will produce the random fish". There is the rare occasion when fishing for summers, and the water clarity is good, you can see a Chinook and a Steelhead holding in the same pocket. But if ya watch em real good and long enough, you will see who the alpha fish is....

A
ArcticAmoeba
Kodiak said:
Junction City Pond:lol::rolleyes:

When Steelhead meat turns white from being in a lake...They are just Trout! Haha.:rolleyes:

H
Hawk
A man i know has Rainbow Trout in his spring fed pond. When they get about 18"-19" they get a Beautiful Red stripe on their sides.......................:D:D:D.......................:cool::cool::cool:................................

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
GD is one of my buds. He has a green drift boat! Fancy the moniker...:lol:

And FishSchooler, of course I would say that...Steelhead don't hang oot in deep pools. Just not their bag perhaps. But where will you be fishin for steelhead, that are not in rivers?

What about bobber fishin deep rivers like the columbia? :rolleyes: I know, who the heck would bobber fish in the middle of the big c, but what if?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Steelhead bobber fishin in a creek, or small river, compared to Steelhead bobber fishin in the Columbia... They are a completely different beast. I would rig a slip float, on a 9'6" bobber rod if I were to ever bobber dog in that River. Which I wouldn't, but if I did. Drift fishing is far more effective for me, even from the bank of the Columbia. The fish still run in less than 15 feet of water out there for the most part.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Steelhead bobber fishin in a creek, or small river, compared to Steelhead bobber fishin in the Columbia... They are a completely different beast. I would rig a slip float, on a 9'6" bobber rod if I were to ever bobber dog in that River. Which I wouldn't, but if I did. Drift fishing is far more effective for me, even from the bank of the Columbia. The fish still run in less than 15 feet of water out there for the most part.

Eh... looks like you has won this argument... as always... ;)
All out drifting... I forgot... :rolleyes:;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
Not at all man! Just where I fish primarily. But I have done plenty of Bobber fishin with 10'6" heavy weight fighters, for Chinook in AK and all, but I just have not found the fish around here to like a bobber presentation, over a properly drifted one. Weights ruins it I think. Thats all. I found what works for me. Every so often, I do fish bobbers, or slip floats, but a good drift is hard to resist.;)

C
Catch 22
ninja2010 said:
okay, i have another question about bobber fishing.

does anyone rig their weight on the leader close to the hook? (i think this helps the casting tremendously.)

or do you normally rig it close to the swivel connecting the leader to main line?

how about spacing 3-4 split shots all along the leader?

From the regs:

All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than
5/8‑inch gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.

N
ninja2010
Catch 22 said:
From the regs:

All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than
5/8‑inch gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.

thanks for pointing that out, jason. my bad. shoulda read that...

guess i can't be like Buzz fishing pinkworm, with splitshots all along the leader... :(:(:(

I
iliketofish
we call Bobbers "floats" up here in British Columbia. Many of the rivers I fish are smaller and shallower so I mostly use "cigar" or "dink" floats which are very easy to adjust and good to use in water that is less than 10 feet deep. I personally use the pencil lead weights or a slinky and attach it to a 3 way swivel (or I'll rig the weight just below the float on the main line so that the weight slides); but I almost never attach any weights (split shots) to the leader because it only will weaken the strength of your leader...it really sucks when your leader breaks!:wall:

F
FishSchooler
iliketofish said:
we call Bobbers "floats" up here in British Columbia. Many of the rivers I fish are smaller and shallower so I mostly use "cigar" or "dink" floats which are very easy to adjust and good to use in water that is less than 10 feet deep. I personally use the pencil lead weights or a slinky and attach it to a 3 way swivel (or I'll rig the weight just below the float on the main line so that the weight slides); but I almost never attach any weights (split shots) to the leader because it only will weaken the strength of your leader...it really sucks when your leader breaks!:wall:

Welcome to OFF!
I like "cigar" floats because, their slim/longer body reduces tangles and when a fish takes it, it will slide under the water easily. They also dont have as much drag in the current, and you can see them fall when a fish hits. :cool:

I am curious about your rig... could you describe it more spefically, better with a picture? So you have a 3 way swivel beneath the float, and on of the eyes has a slinky, and the other to a leader? That is kind of like a drift rig beneath a float right?
Welcome!

L
luv2fish
FishSchooler said:
Welcome to OFF!
I like "cigar" floats because, their slim/longer body reduces tangles and when a fish takes it, it will slide under the water easily. They also dont have as much drag in the current, and you can see them fall when a fish hits. :cool:

I am curious about your rig... could you describe it more spefically, better with a picture? So you have a 3 way swivel beneath the float, and on of the eyes has a slinky, and the other to a leader? That is kind of like a drift rig beneath a float right?
Welcome!

I guess he's doing it to change the weight fast if needed accoirdingly....I use to do similar stuff but now i just use pencil weight...right under my bobber and then swivel and then just leader with bait or jig ....

N
ninja2010
Catch 22 said:
From the regs:

i just measured all my jigs and hooks and none of them have a gap that's even close to 5/8". and i don't use triples at all...

B
Bassman
fishing with floats

fishing with floats

I fish with floats or bobbers all the time I rig it about 4 to 5 feet up from the sinkers and always cacth fish just get use to casting and setting the hook good luck fishing the bassman ,