Bobber and fly on The Deschutes

H
halibuthitman
so what temp is too high? you consider both water and air temp?

P
platteflyfisher
Doesn't anyone here sleep?

Doesn't anyone here sleep?

I just finished a half gallon of lemonade at home, after beverages at the golf course earlier. That I'd say means it's too hot. My first fly fishing experience was with Alpine Anglers. We booked a trip to Hubers Lodge in Ontario Canada, check it out on web. We fly fished for pike using large bunnies. I took a couple in the skull but worked it out. We caught smallies on flies and even an occasional walleye.

P
platteflyfisher
Too hot??

Too hot??

:think:Im sure you were asking in jest but just in case others want to know. Fish gathered at mouths of tributaries and in spring holes are struggling to survive when the main stream is 70 degrees or more. Catching fish in these locations during warm water conditions can deplete their remaining energy and cause their death. Small mesh or rubber landing nets remove less of the fish's protective slime than nylon nets. Using hooks that are too large can damage a fish's eye or brain. Hooks with barbs pinched down are much easier to remove. Dry hands can remove a fish's protective coating. Wet your hands before handling a fish or better yet release it without removing it from the water. Try not to squeeze fish, handle them very gently!
At times in the summer, the water temperature can rise well above 70 degrees. When the temperature is 70 or warmer, fish that are caught and released will often not survive to grow and reproduce. A good practice is to not fish within 200 feet of a tributary or feeder stream. :think:

S
steelhead1
platteflyfisher said:
We get it, you don't like wind knots, even they are self imposed. The most effective way of nymphing is short line nymphing but it's not really effective with high waters or strong current unless you plan on swimming. Let's get back to fishing. Headed to Detroit tomorrow after Ty Curtis show in Salem. Then I'll head around the lakes towards Eugene and a little MacKenzie action. I'll let you all know how it's fishing. I carry a stream thermometer so if water is warm, no line will be put in. I don't stress fish and it seems most cnr fisherman here, although unwittingly, are just abondoning fish to die. I'm sorry you all can't make it to the get together. You sound like cool people to meet with lot's of knowledge. I'm waiting for final say so from the "Boss". Hope I can do enough honey do's. Sorry for interrupting, cheers.

wind knots?Not the issue.Does "short line" mean using a shorter tippet?

H
halibuthitman
"short lining" is exactly what it sounds like.. fishing with about 10 ft of leader and tippet and almost no fly line.. essentialy no or very lttle casting. simply put on some bb shot about a foot above your presentation and bounce it off the bottoms and rocks in medium speed water under about 4 feet deep, I guess you could go deeper, but I never have... this is a great boat, or small river techn, but basicly just drift fishing.;) very few " wind knots " in this style!

S
steelhead1
cool,thanks!