Deschutes at Eagle Crest in Redmond

A
alm21
I'm going to be at Eagle Crest in two weeks and want to get the line wet. The regs say it's open for trout all year for flies and lures. I'm new to fly fishing but will take both my fly rod and spinning.

Any suggestions on flies/lures for this time of year?
 
E
eggs
I'd call a local(Eagle Crest) tackle shop and ask them what hatches are going to be taking place and match your flies to that. Unless someone from the area on heer knows.
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
We caught lots of browns last Christmas (while staying at eagle crest) using small blue fox spinners and jerkbaits. Nice area there.
 
A
alm21
eggs said:
I'd call a local(Eagle Crest) tackle shop and ask them what hatches are going to be taking place and match your flies to that. Unless someone from the area on heer knows.

Ah, right - good idea.

steelhead_stalkers said:
We caught lots of browns last Christmas (while staying at eagle crest) using small blue fox spinners and jerkbaits. Nice area there.

Cool, I have plenty of blue fox spinners and a couple jerkbaits to throw at them. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a condo there so we end up going down 3-4x a year. I don't know why I haven't fished it before! :doh:
 
M
McMudpuddle
Check out the crooked river if you get a chance. it can be real nice this time of year just below the dam.
 
A
alm21
McMudpuddle said:
Check out the crooked river if you get a chance. it can be real nice this time of year just below the dam.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll have time to check it out though. I am only going to be down there a couple days one of which will be spent on Bachelor snowboarding with my son. The great thing about the Deschutes is that I will be able to walk out of the condo and take a trail to be on the water in about 10 mins. Snowboarding, fishing, lounging...it's going to be a great bday weekend! :D
 
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Have a great bday weekend...so jealous

Have a great bday weekend...so jealous

alm21 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll have time to check it out though. I am only going to be down there a couple days one of which will be spent on Bachelor snowboarding with my son. The great thing about the Deschutes is that I will be able to walk out of the condo and take a trail to be on the water in about 10 mins. Snowboarding, fishing, lounging...it's going to be a great bday weekend! :D

Pictures,pictures and more pictures!! :naughty: :lol:
envy:redface:
 
G
GreenDrifter
Lots of nice browns up there. Small scud flys and work great but the big fish love smolt color plugs.
 
M
McMudpuddle
alm21 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll have time to check it out though. I am only going to be down there a couple days one of which will be spent on Bachelor snowboarding with my son. The great thing about the Deschutes is that I will be able to walk out of the condo and take a trail to be on the water in about 10 mins. Snowboarding, fishing, lounging...it's going to be a great bday weekend! :D

And don't forget the great court games they have too. I never new my kid could play tennis until we stayed at E Crest:D so much to do and so little time!
 
A
alm21
Thanks for all the great tips everyone. It ended up being a fantastic birthday weekend. It started last Thursday with two days at Bandon Dunes playing golf. I met up with the wife and kids Friday night and headed over to Eagle Crest. The weather couldn't have been any nicer. Although I didn't get a whole lot of time to fish, the fishing was good. I could only get out for an hour or so here and there. I took my fly pole but didn't end up getting any flies so I ran with the blue fox spinners. The water was clear and flowing good, outside temps varied from low 30's to low 50's. I choose to use a #2 blue fox, metallic purple body and metallic red blade. I figured it would resemble a small rainbow for the browns. I found that the fish would hit witin the first couple casts in a hole. After catching a fish, I would pick up a move on. Caught fish every time I went out. I only kept two which I cooked up with a aged rib eye for my b-day dinner. The fish tasted great! I C/R the rest.
Sunday, I took my son up to Bachelor for a full day of snowboarding. Killer day!!!! It was a weekend full of golfing, fishing, snowboarding, skateboarding and extreme lounging. Life was perfect for a few days. :) Here are some pics from beautiful Central Oregon. I love this state!

IMAG0043

IMAG0049

IMAG0045

IMAG0047

IMAG0048

IMAG0051

IMAG0053

IMAG0055

IMAG0063
 
A
alm21
Here are some more pics from the trip. Including pictures from the summit of Mt Bachelor. Also, I am used to seeing deer all around Eagle Crest but we have never seen this many at the same time. We counted 35 as we drove around one day.

Summit looking South:
IMAG0058

Looking towards Sisters:
IMAG0057

Riding Up Rainbow lift:
IMAG0059

Deer and more deer:
IMAG0062
 
C
Caveman
alm21 said:
I'm fortunate enough to have access to a condo there so we end up going down 3-4x a year. I don't know why I haven't fished it before! :doh:

I am a WorldMark owner and we stay at Eagle Crest several times a year also... Don't know why I have never fished the river when staying there but you can bet your a$$ I will now!
 
C
Caveman
alm21 said:
Here are some more pics from the trip. Including pictures from the summit of Mt Bachelor. Also, I am used to seeing deer all around Eagle Crest but we have never seen this many at the same time. We counted 35 as we drove around one day.

Nice pics. We saw about that many elk one day on our way up the mountain on a snowboarding trip.
 
A
alm21
Caveman said:
I am a WorldMark owner and we stay at Eagle Crest several times a year also... Don't know why I have never fished the river when staying there but you can bet your a$$ I will now!

I'll be throwing my pole in the car from now on. We'll be back there this summer so it will be interesting to compare the fishing then to now/winter.

Caveman said:
Nice pics. We saw about that many elk one day on our way up the mountain on a snowboarding trip.

Yeah, not used to seeing that many deer at one time at Eagle Crest. Interesting you saw that many elk, curious if they were on protected land.
 
C
Caveman
We had to wait nearly five minutes for those elk to cross the road. It was just past the Inn at Seventh Mountain on the way upthe hill. I am hoping to get back up there one more time before the snowboard season is over, my kid just got a new burton custom he is itching to break in. I will defenantly be taking fishing poles.

BTW, I see you use the rainbow lift. That is our favorite side of the mountain. It usually has good snow and less of a crowds.
 
A
alm21
Caveman said:
We had to wait nearly five minutes for those elk to cross the road. It was just past the Inn at Seventh Mountain on the way upthe hill. I am hoping to get back up there one more time before the snowboard season is over, my kid just got a new burton custom he is itching to break in. I will defenantly be taking fishing poles.

BTW, I see you use the rainbow lift. That is our favorite side of the mountain. It usually has good snow and less of a crowds.

Nice! I know the feeling, I bought a new Ride Yukon from REI while we were down there but I haven't been able to ride it yet. I'm itching to get up. May be able to ride tonight if I can get a hallpass but that will mean I won't be able to fish tomorrow. Oh what to do?!

That is a fun side. My favorite run is to go up to the summit and ride all the way down to Rainbow. The slower Rainbow lift isn't so bad since my legs are usually burning from the long run and can use the rest. :)
 
F
FishFinger
Looks and sounds like you had a great time, sorry i didn't catch this thread sooner (before your trip). My folks live @ EC and I head over the hill a lot. Next time you plan to head over there drop me a PM and perhaps I can show you a few other stretches of water worth considering.
 
jamisonace
jamisonace
Speaking of waiting for Elk to cross the road....when I live in Dubois Wyoming I got appendicitus and had to drive 1.5 hours to Jackson at night to the emergency room. We had to stop three times and wait at least 2 minutes each time for Elk to cros the road. I thought I was going to die on the way over (literally). By the time we finally got there I was so close to an appendix burst that I was in surgery within 30 minutes. I'd done that trip dozens of times and that was the only time I ever had to stop for wildlife to cross. Tho we did have to slow down for the occasional moose or bison on the side of the road.
 
C
Caveman
I had the pleasure of driving through Wyoming last fall. Hands down the MOST wildlife I have ever seen from the road and that includes a lot of time spent in Alaska and Montana.
 

Similar threads

The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
352
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
jamisonace
Replies
15
Views
1K
C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace
Replies
11
Views
704
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Irishrover
Replies
3
Views
408
bass
bass
F
Replies
2
Views
715
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Top Bottom