Best carp bait?

OliverW

OliverW

Hey all. I've never gone fishing for carp before, and I'm going to try and catch some at kirk pond in Eugene soon. What is everybody's bait of choice?

troutdude

troutdude

I can't recall fishing for carp in a standing water body. But I have caught some, accidentally, fishing in streams for other species. By using bobber & worms or worms OFF of the bottom. I've also gotten several while casting and retrieving surface plugs for smallies.

OliverW

OliverW

Thank you sir! I planned on trying night crawlers... my friend tipped me off that corn works well too so I'll go buy a can of it soon

Aervax

Aervax

Most Featured
HOMEMADE BOILES for carp bait. Carp eat both plant matter and meat. The biggest movement in carp bait is a homemade doughball combined with fish scent and color then boiled to firm it up to help it stay on the hook. Lots of recipes include berry flavored jello. Lots of videos out there on the subject and creative ideas on what to put in them. Some additives I've been wanting to put in the blender to try out in boiles but haven't gotten around to yet are clams, crawdads and goose poop.

https://americancarpsociety.com/boilies

OliverW

OliverW

HOMEMADE BOILES for carp bait. Carp eat both plant matter and meat. The biggest movement in carp bait is a homemade doughball combined with fish scent and color then boiled to firm it up to help it stay on the hook. Lots of recipes include berry flavored jello. Lots of videos out there on the subject and creative ideas on what to put in them. Some additives I've been wanting to put in the blender to try out in boiles but haven't gotten around to yet are clams, crawdads and goose poop.

https://americancarpsociety.com/boilies
Thank you very much!

OliverW

OliverW

Good lookin' out @Aervax. I just did a quick search of the OFF archives (old threads) regarding boilies. Here is a link to those threads. Reading through those threads will tell you what the local carp clan uses, the "how to's" and what not.

https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/search/870526/?q=boilies&o=date
That is a huge help! Thank you all very much! It means the world to me. I'm going to try and target them with corn tonight, and I'll try boiles next time

OliverW

OliverW

We got out too late for carp, but my dad lucked out and caught a monster. What really ticked me off is that we found 30+ carp corpses on the shore

nikita_pdx

nikita_pdx

If you go on Youtube, there is a channel called Bait Vault. You can find all kinds of boilies, packbaits, hookbaits, etc...
I've made their recipes and have created some of my own, as we go out for carp often. They work.

OliverW

OliverW

Caught some carp today using canned sweet corn. Definitely my favorite fish to catch! The first one is essentially a fat goldfish lol!

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 56
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 58
PhoFish

PhoFish

We used to get huge carp off canned sweet corn as well! I will never forget the day my friend was in charge of bringing the corn and behold.. a fresh can of creamed corn.