Best carp bait?

OliverW
OliverW
Hey all. I've never gone fishing for carp before, and I'm going to try and catch some at kirk pond in Eugene soon. What is everybody's bait of choice?

troutdude
troutdude
I can't recall fishing for carp in a standing water body. But I have caught some, accidentally, fishing in streams for other species. By using bobber & worms or worms OFF of the bottom. I've also gotten several while casting and retrieving surface plugs for smallies.

Reactions: OliverW
OliverW
OliverW
Thank you sir! I planned on trying night crawlers... my friend tipped me off that corn works well too so I'll go buy a can of it soon

troutdude
troutdude
Happy to help. A quick scan of this information looks like it may be very helpful. You might try getting some corn scent to apply to your worms too.

OliverW
OliverW
Thank you very much!!

Reactions: troutdude
Aervax
Aervax
HOMEMADE BOILES for carp bait. Carp eat both plant matter and meat. The biggest movement in carp bait is a homemade doughball combined with fish scent and color then boiled to firm it up to help it stay on the hook. Lots of recipes include berry flavored jello. Lots of videos out there on the subject and creative ideas on what to put in them. Some additives I've been wanting to put in the blender to try out in boiles but haven't gotten around to yet are clams, crawdads and goose poop.

Reactions: troutdude and OliverW
OliverW
OliverW
We got out too late for carp, but my dad lucked out and caught a monster. What really ticked me off is that we found 30+ carp corpses on the shore

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
If you go on Youtube, there is a channel called Bait Vault. You can find all kinds of boilies, packbaits, hookbaits, etc...
I've made their recipes and have created some of my own, as we go out for carp often. They work.

OliverW
OliverW
Caught some carp today using canned sweet corn. Definitely my favorite fish to catch! The first one is essentially a fat goldfish lol!

• image000001.jpg
  • image000003.jpg
  • image000004.jpg
Reactions: igquick and Admin
PhoFish
PhoFish
We used to get huge carp off canned sweet corn as well! I will never forget the day my friend was in charge of bringing the corn and behold.. a fresh can of creamed corn.

• Haha
Reactions: nikita_pdx and OliverW