Best bobbers for steelhead jigs

F
Fishtopher
(

K
kayakkid
How deep do you want to be under your float? How close to the bottom do you want to be? What other baits can you fish under a float?

O
osmosis
You can fish essentially any bait (that is legal) under a bobber, from herring and anchovies, sardines, all kinds of shrimp and prawns, squid, tuna, eggs, worms you name it.

Generally you want to be within 2 ft of the bottom, but that is not always where the fish are. there are many spots where fish suspend at different depths but as an average place to start keep lowering that bait till you find the bottom and then slowly work your way back up.

M
Mike123
osmosis said:
You can fish essentially any bait (that is legal) under a bobber, from herring and anchovies, sardines, all kinds of shrimp and prawns, squid, tuna, eggs, worms you name it.

Generally you want to be within 2 ft of the bottom, but that is not always where the fish are. there are many spots where fish suspend at different depths but as an average place to start keep lowering that bait till you find the bottom and then slowly work your way back up.

You can even fish lures under a float in certain situations.. thanks to the canadians(I think) for this technique. Sometimes a light weighted spinner or just a clevis and blade can work good especially for salmon in those narrow deep slots that you can't keep a spinner in from casting on the bank. No you have to be fishing water that is fast enough to spin your spinner. It basically will drag your spinner just off the bottom down stream. I've tried it once and it worked. But best for narrow, fast, deep shutes and slots.

O
osmosis
they call 'em "blades" a lot when they do that from what I know. The ones I've seen are made out of split rings with a swivel on top and the blade just stuck onto one of the split rings, and the hook on another split ring..
You can do a lot of weird stuff with a bobber.

I know a guy that uses a 2 liter bottle as a float, and runs clancy wobblers (yes the giant ones) under them.

M
Mike123
osmosis said:
they call 'em "blades" a lot when they do that from what I know. The ones I've seen are made out of split rings with a swivel on top and the blade just stuck onto one of the split rings, and the hook on another split ring..
You can do a lot of weird stuff with a bobber.

I know a guy that uses a 2 liter bottle as a float, and runs clancy wobblers (yes the giant ones) under them.

HAHA funny you mention... one time "back in the day" on the South Santiam.. a guide boat was coming down river so we all decided we'd screw with them.
We tied on 16oz. beer cans for floats and 2 liters bottles. The guys/gals that were in the boat were like "so do those really work good for bobbers!?"
We were all "yea man theres no better float than a Keystone float!"
Then my friend snagged up and led them to believe he had a fish on... well he wasn't snagged he actually had a springer on! hhahaha... funniest thing I've ever seen while fishing. :lol: