Best bobbers for steelhead jigs

B
bigsteel
I was curious as to what bobbers/floats are good for steelhead jigs and what sinkers do you use?is it etter to use an attached float or a sliding one...is there an advantage??????
 
F
Fishtopher
Im still experimenting with what float I like best. But I do know I like the sliding floats. I like the old cork floats with the orange cap a lot! No need for a bobber stop there. Just need extra caps cuz I always seem to loose em.:lol:
But I really like the in-line weights that have a swivel eye on both ends of the weight. At first I was skeptical of em, wondering what keeps those two eyes in place...big fish might pull that dang thing apart! but after some nice size natives (boulders) I hooked into, they seem safe enough.
 
G
GDBrown
Bobers and sinkers

Bobers and sinkers

bigsteel said:
i was curious as to what bobbers/floats are good for steelhead jigs and what sinkers do you use?is it etter to use an attached float or a sliding one...is there an advantage??????

I prefer the sliding bobbers becasue I can adjust the depth of the bait underneath it. I have no preference about weights under the bobber but I do when drifting. I like the slinky type made from the hollow cord and buckshot. I make them myself in multiple sizes and attach them to a swivel with a closed hook so they slide on the mainline and can be changed easily. I have tried the hollow core pencil lead as well but I leave too much of it on the bottom of the river.:shock:

GD
 
B
bigsteel
thanks for the replys,,,,i just got my new setup,,,7' ugly stik witha shimano 4000 reel.....seems like a nice heavy duty little rod......
 
M
Mike123
bigsteel said:
i was curious as to what bobbers/floats are good for steelhead jigs and what sinkers do you use?is it etter to use an attached float or a sliding one...is there an advantage??????

If your fishing deep water where a slip float is needed, West Coast floats are a good choice.
1/4-1/2oz are my favorite.
If your fishing just average med fast water I like Thill's Turbomaster's or Steelhead stalkers in 1/4oz... Those type floats are fixed floats and have a "balancing shaft"(not sure of correct term) out the bottom of them. then just add split shot to dial in the float.
Now in really clear shallow or slow and clear water where Im using small or micro jigs, a plain old small cork float with the orange peg work GREAT!
 
Last edited:
M
Mike123
bigsteel said:
thanks for the replys,,,,i just got my new setup,,,7' ugly stik witha shimano 4000 reel.....seems like a nice heavy duty little rod......

After you get into float fishing a bit your gonna want at LEAST a 8'6 rod..
Preferably 9'6 or larger... You may not think so now but try one out you'll be surprised! :)
 
B
bigsteel
thanks for all the great advise,,ill have to stock up this week.....
 
J
jeffcycles
Mike123 said:
After you get into float fishing a bit your gonna want at LEAST a 8'6 rod..
Preferably 9'6 or larger... You may not think so now but try one out you'll be surprised! :)

For sure! When drift fishing, bobber or not, one of your goals is keeping as direct a line as possible from rod tip to either your bobber or the water surface. The drag created by your line along the waters surface will affect presentation, often changing the path that your bait is drifting in, and always shortening the allowable drift length. It may not seem like much but the length of the 7' rod will make it exponentially more difficult to keep your line above the water.
 
Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Even a more important thing than keeping your line off the water is being able to pull more line off the water with a longer rod. Your not always going to be able to keep all of your line off the water and if you are there is a good chance that you are affecting your presentation under the water (especially with smaller floats and weight). Let some line sit on the water as long as its moving the same speed as the current and your float. Make as few of mends with your line as possible and you will be in good shape. Imaging trying to pull six feet of line off the surface to mend with a 7 ft rod then think about how much line you can pick up with a 10'5" ft rod. Keeping line of the water is important as well just make sure you are making a nice drag free drift! Good luck.
 
F
fishtales
GDBrown said:
I prefer the sliding bobbers becasue I can adjust the depth of the bait underneath it. I have no preference about weights under the bobber but I do when drifting. I like the slinky type made from the hollow cord and buckshot. I make them myself in multiple sizes and attach them to a swivel with a closed hook so they slide on the mainline and can be changed easily. I have tried the hollow core pencil lead as well but I leave too much of it on the bottom of the river.:shock:

GD

Is there an easy way to get the buckshot in the nylon? I made weights like this in the past with hallow green nylon from GI Joes and put the buckshot in one by one.
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
Use smaller buck shot or larger nylon. :)
 
F
fishtales
steelhead_stalkers said:
Use smaller buck shot or larger nylon. :)

or smaller fingers. I know I get it:lol:
 
Q
qwapaw
Hey Steelhead_Stalker, How about showing us the optimun way to fish your jigs, I just picked some up out at Mikes this weekend and have never used them before. I could use a little tutoring. They sure look nice and I image woork just as good if you know how. Thanks, Dan U
 
Diehard
Diehard
wax yo line

wax yo line

stlhead stalker i was wondering if you ever tried this and if it helps for fast water a friend of mine told me he waxes about 8-10 feet of his line just above the bobber for easier mends i have not tried this and was just curious if it works and what type of wax hes talking about i would hate to ask him especially if hes just messin with me something difirent though :think:
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
He probably is using just mono for his main line. It helps to add something to help your line float like wax or other similar products. I use braid so I don't have to worry about it. :D Braid is the best for float fishing for quite a few reasons one of which is it floats!
 
Diehard
Diehard
thanks

thanks

always lookn for that extra little edge that separates the fishing from the getting thanks for the advice and i will deffinetly be trying some of your jigs this year with a report or two they look very fishy
 
F
fishin_fool
Diehard said:
always lookn for that extra little edge that separates the fishing from the getting thanks for the advice and i will deffinetly be trying some of your jigs this year with a report or two they look very fishy

If your using mono yes wax the line above your float 8-10 feet, use Mucelin it works very well...

hope that helps ya

Mike
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
Diehard said:
always lookn for that extra little edge that separates the fishing from the getting thanks for the advice and i will deffinetly be trying some of your jigs this year with a report or two they look very fishy

Oh you will be getting reports!! Looks like we might make it down to Cali to fish the Trinity River again and it is prime and ready for micro jigs. :D Good luck this year.
 
K
koboabe
RAMROD

Say car Ram-Rod...
 
O
osmosis
I wrote it on the paper!
 

Similar threads

S
Replies
0
Views
319
Senkosam
S
S
Replies
12
Views
493
Senkosam
S
Admin
  • Article
Replies
3
Views
589
troutdude
troutdude
S
Replies
2
Views
872
troutdude
troutdude
Jahhn
Replies
11
Views
3K
troutdude
troutdude
Top Bottom