Bass on the Umpqua

B
bas
driving through southern oregon this week. I was wondering where a good place to fish for bass off the bank was. Somewhere near the I5 corridor would be preferable, and what tackle would you recommend?

B
Backcastwards
The South Umpqua river follows the I 5 in Roseburg. There is some real nice action for smallies in the river behind the fairgrounds. Exit 123 I-5
Usual bass fare I guess. I use small green nymph type flies.
Gary

N
novicewila
floating the river

floating the river

whats that area like to drift in a drift boat and hoe would the fishing be out of a drift boat?

M
Mad dog
novicewila said:
whats that area like to drift in a drift boat and hoe would the fishing be out of a drift boat?

The main Umpqua fish's well out of a drift boat for bass, the south is flowing less than 100cfs right now....I doubt you could drag a drift boat down it! :D

M
MontanaMoose
Just got back from there about an hour ago

Just got back from there about an hour ago

One good thing about it was nobody there 'cept me and a whole lotta bass.

And no, you'd be hard pressed to get a boat down through there but you could go to town and row or motor up to the slower deeper water...there weren't any bass there though...nope...not a one.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
Went there again...

Went there again...

Had it all to myself as usual...watched the switcher make up a train, watched an equestrian putting her pony through it's paces...hooked about 70 smallies and beat the heat. Fly of the day was white boa yarn minnow imitation with short purple feather tail...biggest smallie was 1.5 lbs. approx...puked out a smaller smallie it had eaten. Beat the heat wading there up to my knees.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose