Astoria and ocean salmon

A
azbohunter
Was visiting friends in Ilwaco yesterday and watched a charter boat come in with these, Illwaco.jpg

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
So they should start arriving in coastal creeks ;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Right now there are very few coho in the river. I've seen a couple caught. When they start coming in in better numbers then the coastal creeks should pick up. The chinooks are either youngs bay fish, tule, or upriver brights. The up river brights is what we are waiting for they haven't shown up in great numbers yet either. But when they do we plan to be ready. The charter boats were mostly out on the ocean yester. I only saw a couple of them fishing the river. I'm looking for a nice flat ocean before I make another run out there. With gas prices going up so much I want to make the trip a good one. Gas at the fuel dock is close to $5 a gallon. Hope I can get out there on Monday, until then it's looking for the big chinook in the river.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Dam what a day almost got skunked, but late afternoon my son did land a real nice chinook just up from the Astoria bridge. We boated a couple yesterday and have some pictures but I think you've seen pleanty of fish pictures of chinook. The silvers still are not in yet and I would not mind seeing some. I talked to a few folks who made it out to the ocean and its not red hot their either.

Irishrover
Irishrover
They hve arrived

They hve arrived

010.jpg006.jpg

They have arrived, or at least they were here in great numbers yesterday. Lots of chinook in the river including up river brights. Yesterday we went out put the rods in and in 5 minutes had our first fish. 5 minutes later we had one bust off. 15 minutes later landed another nice fish. While we we busy with our fish we saw at least 15 other boats landing fish all right off Hammon by Point Adams Cannery. Still slow for silver so we headed back in.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
501.jpg

I'd be a poor guide I get way too excited when we get a fish on;). I did manage to get some friends of ours into fish yesterday. The wind picked up today and made the river quite bumpy so we took the day off. Will be back out there tomorrow.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Looks like your having fun at the coast this year. I was out on the river just below the confluence of the Willamette and the wind picked up about 3:30 and blew most of the boats OFF the river. It was great earlier in the day but alass the kill nets got most of the fish and the ones that did make it up to my location didn'y like my OFFerings.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's one of the benefits of fishing down here, no nets to deal with. Just have to deal with the wind and tidal conditions. We went out with a friend yesterday on his open sled style boat and got soked on the way in. Those kind of trips make me appreciate my walk around cuddy cabin with the top, I like to stay dry. The fishing was great so that made the trip worth while. More fish for the freezer.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishing is still good down here and more silver have come into the river. We have moved up river toward tounge point and got into the chinook. Folks up river should be looking forward to some good fish. I messed up the picture and I'm not sure how to delete the headless shot. It's most likley the better shot.

035.jpg

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Thanks for the updates Lonn. You're on a great run!

G
GDBrown
I'm debating if I should give the Columbia a try again, this time out of Chinook Landing with some wobblers...... Anyone want to help?

Irishrover
Irishrover
GDBrown said:
I'm debating if I should give the Columbia a try again, this time out of Chinook Landing with some wobblers...... Anyone want to help?
It might be a bit early up at chinook landing. But those chinook are on their way up river. The bite has fallen off here for sure. Would you believe the last two day have delivered no fish to the boat just a big skunk! At chinook landing I used to have luck in September using an alvin wobbler right as you go out of of the landing. I'd anchor just off to the right and a wee bit up river of the enterence of the boat ramp.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishing or I should say catching has slowed way down here. It seems the bulk of the run has passed through (Chinook). We are pulling out today and heading back to Sandy. I want to be home in time to get the fly gear ready for the 3rd Trillium OFF fishing event. Can't believe I spent a whole month down here in Astoria and not a drop of rain fell on me.....It was a lot of fun and we put pleanty of fish in the freezer. The only mishap was yesterday when a boat capsized right by bouy 29. Luckly the people were pick up out of the water quickly. There were lots of boats around to help them out and no one was lost!

S
salsinker
Ever notice the angler never tells what the fish was caught with? I guess there are some information that you just don't divulge.

E
eugene1
salsinker said:
Ever notice the angler never tells what the fish was caught with? I guess there are some information that you just don't divulge.

Huh? Ever notice no one asked not even you? No secret about bait or lures there... Herring or spinners, so there ya go.

Anyway, Irish, I enjoyed your thread! You are living the good life,

Irishrover
Irishrover
salsinker said:

Hey I'm most happy to share any information. That's what this forum is about. On this thread on August 14th I posted the following

"We were fishing by the sawdust pile again near Warrenton using divers with big Al flashers. Spinners and herring out about 28 pulls."

Generaly if I'm using spinners for chinook I use a size 6.5 to 7 willow blade. The hot blades this year were a Santa Clause (Red tip white stripe then brass) the other was a fire and ice. It's kind of half white half redishorange. When I pull heering I use a nose clip with a small spinner blade infront of it. If you check the older post you'll see pictures of it I have posted. Nothing to hide here heck most folks out there use very similar stuff.

Eugene1 thanks, and yes life is great. Next stop Trillium for trout then later off to Nehalem for crab!

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Thanks for taking all of us on your fishing trip Lonn. Sometimes you can hit it when you limit in a couple hours or less. Nonetheless, you caught some nice fish and the weather certainly cooperated. See you at Trillium!

C_Run
C_Run
I totally missed this thread because I was out of town when you started it. Man, what a great month you had. Congrats.

J
jd15
you can keep natives?? this is about the one on the right

Irishrover
Irishrover
jd15 said:
you can keep natives?? this is about the one on the right

Thanks for asking the question. Yes at the time the fish was caught you could keep a non fin clipped chinook. The regs fon B-10 to Tounge Point allowed "one aduld chinook" a day. No jacks and no non fin clipped coho. Right now the area is closed to the retention of any chinook but you can keep clipped coho. Out in the Ocean as of September 1 is the non selective coho season ( you can keep one non fin clipped coho). Now don't go keeping non fin clipped chinook in the spring there is a different set of regs for that season. It's alway a very good idea to check the regs especially the salmon regs because they can change so quickly. If you look at some of the other pictures on the thread you'll see more finners. Also check out some of the othere salmon threads and you'll see a few there. It was a good year for chinook now the coho should be headed our way. Tight lines.

Last edited: