Astoria and ocean salmon

Irishrover
Irishrover
Just a little information for anyone headed to the lower Columbia. Tongue Point to Buoy 10 is real slow, I mean real slow.:confused: Yesterday the checker at West Basin, only checked in to salmon from the river. The Ocean has not been hot either. Looks like it will be a good day weather wise to hit the salt. Tomorrow I'm going to head out some where near the CR Buoy and start looking for those fresh silvers.;) I'm staying the month down here so I hope to be here when the fish do show up. It should pick up by the last two week. I'll post if it does.

E
eggs
Good luck man and get into em!

Reactions: OnTheFly
T
Toyracer38
Thanks for the info.

O
OnTheFly
Where's the CR bouy? Is that ocean water?

Irishrover
Irishrover
021.jpg

Made it out yesterday and the ocean wasn't too bad at all. We laned 9 silvers 7 were nonhatchery and two were hatchery. Lost a few and one was a chinook. I like to use light gear on the silver, it makes for fun time when they hit, but when the chinook take a liking to your line on the light gear it can be a challenge. The CR buoy is the first buoy that marks the entrance to the Columbia river. It's in the ocean and there were lots of boats there yesterday trying to catch fish. We went out past there about five miles to deeper water. I did take pictures of the chrome bright fish but I can not get pictures to upload. When I try the attachment thing I get a blue screen instead of the browes thing like I used to get.....Help. Headed home today for a couple of days then back down on Friday. There are still very few fish in the River.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
065.jpg066.jpg067.jpg070.jpg

Things are starting to pick up in the river. We went out by Youngs and the sawdust pile today. We fished from 7am until noon and landed three chinook for four rods. We saw more than a few other boats landing fish as well. It's not red hot yet but it sure has picked up. The weather isn't bad either, but after we were off the water the afternoon wind picked up and for folks still out there it was a bumpy ride. The ocean is still too ruff to make it out there so it will be back to the river tomorrow. It should be a lot of fun my son and 12 year old granddaughter are going out with us. Today my wife and I were guest on my friends boat. He runs RBV Adventures, a guide service, and has fished down here for years. It was fun to be with friends, good weather and nice fish. I'm thinking the river fishing is only going to get better as it is still early.

Last edited:
F
flocaster
Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck tomorrow

B
bran_man
Irishrover said:
I did take pictures of the chrome bright fish but I can not get pictures to upload. When I try the attachment thing I get a blue screen instead of the browes thing like I used to get.....Help. Headed home today for a couple of days then back down on Friday. There are still very few fish in the River.

Yeah that doesn't work for me either. When making a new/ editing an old post right above where you type with all the little options like fonts amd emoticons, just click the little picture icon with the tree inside next to the little strip of film and it should POP up the same photo uploader

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks bran_man it works. Back to posting photos..... We went out today and lost three. The wind picked up and the river was a wee bit ruff so back to the docks early.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
B
bigsteel
nice work Lonn!!!!!!!!!!!!sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Irishrover
Irishrover
Dave I'm just practicing for Trillium this September! I'm looking forward to that weekend.

Today the bite was just so-so. We lost four and brought one hatchery chinook into the boat. I'm hoping things pick up and Friday looks good for an ocean venture. Here is my fishing partner with her chinook.002.jpg013.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Made it out again today and fished the river. The weather was good in the morning which was OK because we were done by noon. We landed two nice chinook and called it a day. We were fishing by the sawdust pile again near Warrenton using divers with big Al flashers. Spinners and herring out about 28 pulls. No sign of the Silver pushing into the river yet but that always comes later. Now that it's into the last two weeks of August things should really heat up. Life is great!012.jpg019.jpg That bite on the tail of my chinook, well that was from a seal, I guess they like chinook also. Thats not the first time that has happened to me.

Last edited:
E
eggs
Dang looks like someone will have a stuffed freezer!

O
OnTheFly
Nice! The coast is the place to be right now not only to fish but to get out of the heat!

Irishrover
Irishrover
They won't last too long in the freezer with those 6 grand kids living with us. Good grief they can eat, but that is OK. It's a great thing fishing to feed grandkids. So also I did hear it's going to be hot up in the Valley. Hope that doesn't bring to much fog this way. That's what happens when it get hot up there. By the way notice the coat my wife is wearing.

E
eugene1
Nice nooks Irish! The seals have been tough for us so far this year, we lost one nice fish to a seal but at least it was exciting.

You gonna fish down South this year too?

Best, and nice reports from the big river keep them coming!

Irishrover
Irishrover
eugene1 said:
Nice nooks Irish! The seals have been tough for us so far this year, we lost one nice fish to a seal but at least it was exciting.

You gonna fish down South this year too?

Best, and nice reports from the big river keep them coming!

Thanks...This year I'm staying up north. I really do like fishing out of Newport, it's a great bar to cross and better bottom fishing than up here. The nice thing about fishing up here is when you can't get out to the ocean there is a lot of river to fish. When that tide starts to come in it brings in a good amout of fish with it. I'm taking today off to do some repair amd maitance on the boat, then we will be back at it hard for the rest of the month.

B
bigsteel
dang lonn your puttin the hurt on em out in the ocean!!!!!!!!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Took a couple of days off for repair and rest. Today we went out by Hammond and landed one lost one. Then went up above the Astoria bridge and my 13 year old granddaughter landed her first salmon, a nice chinook. What a thrill for her and us! The river was easy to fish today as the wind was light. The bite is spotty and we are hoping for a heavey surge of fish.

021.jpg

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Nice getting the girl into her first nook!

Sounds like it's heating up your way. My buddy got limits earlier this week and it is still early.

Best,