Artificial feeding of trout in scenic waterways.

R
Russ
Are their law or regulations that prohibit regular daily feeding of Trout by riparian land owners? I ask specifically about the Fall River.
thanks
RWinge @mac.com

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
1.) what's the point?
2.) Research the clean water act and how it may apply - if the NFS can claim that *fish* hatchery versions of the wild fish in the river, are a pollutant and win court cases with that logic - throwing in artificial food could very well be pollution.
3.) Call the ODFW, DEQ, and the State Police with this question - what a bunch of chuckleheads on the internet have to say means jack when you've got THe Man handing you a multi-thousand dollar fine for illegal dumping because you didn't ask the right people.

M
Modest_Man
I'd probably consider that a form of chumming, which is prohibited by ODFW.

S
Spydeyrch
Modest_Man said:
I'd probably consider that a form of chumming, which is prohibited by ODFW.

-Spydey

S
sunsalem
GungasUncle said:
1.) what's the point?
2.) Research the clean water act and how it may apply - if the NFS can claim that *fish* hatchery versions of the wild fish in the river, are a pollutant and win court cases with that logic - throwing in artificial food could very well be pollution.
3.) Call the ODFW, DEQ, and the State Police with this question - what a bunch of chuckleheads on the internet have to say means jack when you've got THe Man handing you a multi-thousand dollar fine for illegal dumping because you didn't ask the right people.
LOL.
Don't you know common sense answers are forbidden on the internet?

troutdude
troutdude
No bait is allowed while fishing. So, why would you think it's okay to "feed" them?

This guy has no common sense.

18406ej
18406ej
In poor Russ' defense I should point out that he did not specifically ask about some generalized broadcast spreading of food, and note that his query could refer to the hand-feeding of a certain favorite trout, one that returns to the shallows along the bank each morning to receive a treat and then spend a fun-filled day frolicking in the woods with Russ until Mom rings the dinner bell and they each have to go home again.

Think that this sounds improbable? Well Vice-President Lyndon Johnson had just such a friend, a Texas Broadcreek Trout named Stalv, and the pair were well known for their antics around the Johnson ranch. The Secret Service even presented Stalv with an award for bravery that one time when Lyndon fell into the old abandoned well and Stalv ran 13 miles to summon aid. Despite the fact that Stalv couldn't speak, he communicated the urgent need for aid by frantically slapping his tail on the dry kitchen floor until Agents finally understood what was going on.

Then poor President Kennedy forgot to duck, and Lyndon had to go and live in DC.

But seriously Russ, welcome to OFF!

EJ

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutdude said:
No bait is allowed while fishing. So, why would you think it's okay to "feed" them?

This guy has no common sense.
Wow, kinda unfriendly...feeling grumpy this morning? :confused: He didn't ask if he could do it, he asked about the laws pertaining to doing it. Sheesh! :rolleyes: ;)

H
Hawk
Grange COOP sells floating & sinking fish food pellets fer folks who have a pond on their place, where fish live. Some ponds don't have enough natural food, to sustain the numbers of fish in the population.

Reactions: 18406ej
troutdude
troutdude
The dude was asking about tossing food (i.e. pollutants), into the Fall River; not a private pond. There's a huge difference. It may be his land, but it is not his river. If you guys are okay, with him polluting a river so be it. I'm not. I rest my case.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Russ said:
Are their law or regulations that prohibit regular daily feeding of Trout by riparian land owners? I ask specifically about the Fall River.
thanks
RWinge @mac.com

troutdude said:
The dude was asking about tossing food (i.e. pollutants), into the Fall River; not a private pond. There's a huge difference. It may be his land, but it is not his river. If you guys are okay, with him polluting a river so be it. I'm not. I rest my case.
1) You do not know if he plans on tossing "food (i.e. pollutants)" into any body of water just from reading the post.
2) I do not see where he proclaims ownership of land much less "his river".
3) I did not state I am okay with anyone polluting any of our waterways in Oregon, river, stream, lake, pond or gold fish bowl. :doh:

ps
The "dude" is named Russ :D

H
Hawk
no one is ok with polluting the rivers .:shock::shock:

T
Tinker
troutdude said:

The dude was not asking if it was okay for HIM to feed the fish. It was a short question (unlike my own), and maybe he saw someone else doing it and wanted to know more. We shouldn't make an ass of you and Uma Thurman, should we?

bass
bass
Troutdude, the bottle says 2 pills every 4 hours, not 4 pills every 2 hours :)

Seriously though, I am glad to see that folks are passionate. The manner in which the original poster asked the question made me think that they saw someone doing it and wanted to know if it was OK. Whatever the motivation I think that the best reply is to simply say that it could likely be considered polluting or chumming which are illegal. However, I did not find anything in the regulations that directly addressed the situation.

C_Run
C_Run
Guilty as charged. We've got a tiny creek, with a tiny population of tiny cutthroat trout. I haven't fished it in over 20 years but I do toss my little friends the occasional grasshopper or worm and they seem to appreciate it.

T
Tinker
C_Run said:
Guilty as charged. We've got a tiny creek, with a tiny population of tiny cutthroat trout. I haven't fished it in over 20 years but I do toss my little friends the occasional grasshopper or worm and they seem to appreciate it.

There's a special corner of Hell reserved for folks like you! :D I'm guilty of intentionally walking through high grass to scare 'hoppers into ponds just to watch the trout rise on them... I'll bring the iced tea!

A
Andrew8100
18406ej said:
In poor Russ' defense I should point out that he did not specifically ask about some generalized broadcast spreading of food, and note that his query could refer to the hand-feeding of a certain favorite trout, one that returns to the shallows along the bank each morning to receive a treat and then spend a fun-filled day frolicking in the woods with Russ until Mom rings the dinner bell and they each have to go home again.

Think that this sounds improbable? Well Vice-President Lyndon Johnson had just such a friend, a Texas Broadcreek Trout named Stalv, and the pair were well known for their antics around the Johnson ranch. The Secret Service even presented Stalv with an award for bravery that one time when Lyndon fell into the old abandoned well and Stalv ran 13 miles to summon aid. Despite the fact that Stalv couldn't speak, he communicated the urgent need for aid by frantically slapping his tail on the dry kitchen floor until Agents finally understood what was going on.

Then poor President Kennedy forgot to duck, and Lyndon had to go and live in DC.

But seriously Russ, welcome to OFF!

EJ

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that the secret service even presented stalv with an award for bravery that one time when Lyndon fell into the old abandoned well.