April fishing

A
analyticgamer
I'll be travelling from North Dakota to visit some family around Easter time, and thought it would be fun to try some fishing in Oregon. I grew up in Portland but never really fished until I was in college in North Dakota. I'll have my daughters with who also enjoy fishing, so I'm curious if anyone could share some good shore fishing areas (not looking for your secret locations) that I could possibly take my daughters to and fish for a bit one of the days we're out visiting?

P
pcstock
What kind of fishing are you looking for? Bass? Salmon? Steelhead?

If the latter two I would seriously look into getting onto a guide boat.

Reactions: analyticgamer
troutdude
troutdude
Well streams don't open for trout fishing, until May 22nd. So you'll have to hit one of the lakes (most are open year round).

Here is a hotlink to the ODFW stocking schedule, for your time period:

https://myodfw.com/fishing/species/...ue[date]=2023-04-30&page=&page=1&page=&page=0

You can select whichever zone, you will be in during your visit (NW / Willamette / SW / Central, etc.

Here's a hotlink to an ODFW video series on how to fish for trout:

https://myodfw.com/articles/how-fish-trout

And a link to a thread that I started many years ago, with some tips on using Power Eggs:

https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/threads/berkleys-power-eggs-best-thing-since-apple-pie.10073/

If you'd like to PM me...maybe we can connect and dunk some bait together. Depending on where you'll be. I'm in the Central Willy Valley. But don't mind traveling an hour or so away.

Reactions: Fish_bot9000, PezVela, pcstock and 1 other person
A
analyticgamer
Thanks! I'll be around east Portland/Gresham area, so anywhere that's not too far away from there. I'll check out the links, appreciate the help!

I'd be looking for any fish. Something to pass the time with. I fish the soft water in Minnesota, so things don't open up at all until May, and even then it could be snowing. So anything that's warmer than freezing and open water and I'll be good.

S
Snopro
Any riprap or rock bank along the Columbia should produce many smallmouth in April.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
analyticgamer said:
Thanks! I'll be around east Portland/Gresham area, so anywhere that's not too far away from there. I'll check out the links, appreciate the help!

I'd be looking for any fish. Something to pass the time with. I fish the soft water in Minnesota, so things don't open up at all until May, and even then it could be snowing. So anything that's warmer than freezing and open water and I'll be good.
You're welcome. I didn't know where you would be; nor the skill level of your kids. Ergo, trout fishing is the easiest.

If you want to go after trout (or bass)...Henry Hagg Lake is outside of Hillsboro on the west side. And is a beautiful lake which is well kept by Washington County Parks & Rec. and patrolled by the Sheriff's office. Stop at the Lake Stop Store outside of Gaston for tips, bait, licenses, food, etc. The owner's are super nice and the food is good. Which on the way to, and just south of, the lake.

The easiest places to get to on foot are the Scoggins Creek arm/inlet, Seine Creek arm/inlet, the Ramp C area, and the Ramp A area. And the crappie should be on the bite then too.

WORD: I've seen 12 lb. rainbow trout pulled out of that lake. So if you get bites--BE READY and leave your drags a little loose. Most of the trout, though, will be in the 10 - 18" category.

1673564224318.png

Reactions: PezVela and analyticgamer
troutdude
troutdude
analyticgamer said:

@analyticgamer You're welcome.

Hagg Lake will be about an hour away from you (a bit farther from Gresham). It's pretty much freezing there, until about early March.

D
Davpot
troutdude said:
@analyticgamer You're welcome.

Hagg Lake will be about an hour away from you (a bit farther from Gresham). It's pretty much freezing there, until about early March.
Hello Anylitic: If you’re on the East side, I’d check out Canby pond, near OC. Well stocked for kids 17 and under. Set in the city park. Nice place.
Dave

Reactions: troutdude