Applesauce...

S
sportsmanlio
...is the key to a good fish. I use a healthy slathering of applesauce when I cook trout, kokanee, or salmon. It gives the meat a light, sweet flavor without altering the natural taste of the fish. It also keeps it moist.

Here is an easy recipe that kids love to make (cuz it's kinda messy):

1) Take a whole trout or a salmon fillet and place on a greased piece of aluminum foil
2) Put a little olive oil on the fish and brush with a BBQ sauce brush
3) Apply your dry rub or spices (I like a dry rub that uses black pepper, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, oregano, and a pinch of salt)
4) Apply applesauce liberally and rub all over fish using either a BBQ sauce brush or your hands
5) Flip fish over and repeat process (place a few apple slices or applesauce in the body cavity if using a whole fish)
6) Close up aluminum foil but leave a hole in the top for steam to escape
7) Place one more piece of foil around fish for extra support
8) Bake or BBQ until meat flakes with a fork

This is easy, works for camping or the kitchen, and makes the best trout or salmon you've ever eaten!

Reactions: skunk
S
skunk
Hmmmm, gonna have to give this one a try. Thanks

L
lilsalmon
that sounds very good......gonna have to give it a try

S
sportsmanlio
I really like it. I forgot to mention this, though: when the fish is cooked, the skin and the dried applsauce should be peeled off. This allows a more appetizing dish...unless you are a fan of fish skin.

C
ChezJfrey
Hmmm, after watching Hoodwinked, I was convinced this post was some sort of alternative curse word since that's how Triple G used the term in the movie when she decided to blow the mountain side into an avalanche ;)

PS: I was really surprised how much I liked that film...I was tearing up when she popped her chute and it had the logo of her cookie company splattered across it...too funny! Oh, and your recipe sounds great.

S
sportsmanlio
ChezJfrey, that was a great movie. I forgot about that part! I like to sneak up on my little cousins when they are wearing hooded sweatshirts and pull the hood over their face and then tickle them while they can't see. I call that "hoodwinking." Also off topic, but you gave me a good laugh, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Enjoy the recipe!

C_Run
C_Run
Apples and fish go together. Smoking fish is new to me so I just try different brines each time. There are a couple of brines in Haugen's book, Smoking Salmon and Steelhead, that use apple juice for the liquid. I got favorable comments about the apple flavor when I tried it. I'll try your recipe sometime soon.

S
sportsmanlio
Perfect! It works best on trout and salmon, but it is still good with white meat fish, too. Enjoy it!