Any luck on the McKenzie?

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
I'm hearing the below Dexter is pretty killer right now for them nooks. Ima bout to say screw the south s. and head that way.

Eww. Dexter is ridiculous.

N
natro
Spent the morning fishing a ways below the dam. The river is real high and moving fast. Never did have any luck, but the guy next to me lost what looked like to be a pretty nice fish. By 11 am I was soaked, even with rain gear. The river continued to get higher, and I decided I'd had enough and headed home. I hope the weather isn't so bad tomorrow and maybe the water goes down a bit. We'll see.

S
steelhead_stalkers
JeannaJigs said:
Eww. Dexter is ridiculous.

Better than not catching anything I guess. Its not to bad down the river away from the crowd :D

N
natro
Drove on up to the river this morning to see what kind of condition it was in, and took some pics to share. In the area I was standing there's usually a pretty good bank, but like the pics show, there was hardly any bank there.

Troutski
Troutski
Big Muddies

Big Muddies

Went over it on the way home from work...both the Willy and Mac are running very full and very brown. The back eddies are prime in these conditions, the fingers on the opposite side from where you were standing can be reasonable at these flows. You will have to go deep, but it will be possible, I might recommend heading up a little further up stream. Not so many brown feeder stream, so the water is at least colored perfect...still hallin ass. Fish deep and tag a 18# Steely in that water, you will never forget it.....:dance::clap::cool:
tight lines

Chuck

D
dtikey
dont let the high water fool ya...went up mac last night for about hour and lost 1 on 5th cast then landed a 12.5 lb buck then broke a hen off next to bank.Just fish a little slower and lots of scent.

N
natro
dtikey said:
dont let the high water fool ya...went up mac last night for about hour and lost 1 on 5th cast then landed a 12.5 lb buck then broke a hen off next to bank.Just fish a little slower and lots of scent.

Where about's were you at? I went this morning below the dam. The water's color was nice, but still real high. As I was showing up to my spot a guy was leaving. Said he caught 2 salmon, but they were natives.

D
dtikey
i was fishing hatchery side below the dam.went up there today also for 2 hours.broke off a steelhead them lost 1 on bobber and jig them got a 10 pounder.my brother also broke 1 off so there is fish to be caught.more people than i thought would be there but they were all fishing above me by the creek.seen a guy get 1 there on bobber and eggs also.

N
natro
I also tried fishing on one of the "fingers" there below the hatchery on sunday. Only tried it for a few minutes though. I tried floating some prawns, thought about trying to float some eggs but thought they wouldn't last but a few seconds in the water it was moving so fast. Looks like I'll have to keep trying that spot some more, I know I've heard it's a great area for the steelhead.

N
nwkiller
dtikey said:
i was fishing hatchery side below the dam.went up there today also for 2 hours.broke off a steelhead them lost 1 on bobber and jig them got a 10 pounder.my brother also broke 1 off so there is fish to be caught.more people than i thought would be there but they were all fishing above me by the creek.seen a guy get 1 there on bobber and eggs also.

u mind tellin what color jig you hooked one on?

E
everett464
Hit Hayden Bridge, and didn't have a ton of luck. The river is still VERY high. The color was great, but it was just moving too fast to get to the good seems.

I did get into one 10" Cutbow, that fought like a steelhead. I always forget how much fight those guys have in 'em; I thought for sure I was looking at a 15+ incher.

Last edited:
N
natro
Well I must be having some bad luck or something. Went out to the river today below the dam around 1 pm. Just after I get there a drift boat gets what I think was a salmon by drifting some eggs. A couple hours later a couple of guys show up and head about 50 feet upriver from me. One of em hooks into a salmon using just a corkie after being there for probably 45 minutes. I spent from 1 pm to a little after 8 pm, a varying combo of eggs and spin glo, prawn tails and corkies, catching only 1 trout. Guess I'll hit it again tomorrow.

S
specreck
I also went out earlier this week and drifted the intown route, water color was great but way to swift for my taste, couldn't even get my anchor to hold. We did catch a few trout on flies but no steelies.

N
natro
Decided today to hit the river after work. Got to down below the hatchery around 5:15pm. First guy I talked to had a steelhead on the bank. Went down river and another guy had a steely on the bank. Fished til about 8 and saw 2 more fish caught. Didn't have any luck myself, ended up getting caught up on something and ended up busting my pole in half . But just got back a little while ago from getting another one and plan on hitting it again tomorrow after work and this weekend. How about anybody else?? Any luck??

T
TroutSlayer
I've been out the the mack for the last 4 days now. I havent caught any of the big fish but been hearing lots of reports of salmon being caught out there. Caught lots of trout on my fly rod and missed several really big fish trying to get my fly.

R
rippin fish lips
went bankin on the mac at hayden today, was mainly targeting steelhead or salmon. no steelhead/salmon today tho =/ water is lookin really good now!! got out there at 6:00 am caught about 15 trout and a couple nice ones about 15-18 inches and one 19 inch cutty all brooded up like a football! thought it was a steelhead with the headshakes and how hard it hit my lure.