Any interest in a carp tournament?

B
Bad Tuna
youngfishtyler said:
heres an idea i think people from both sides would like. Joe said he wouldnt participate if we killed the card needlesly. How bout we find a place that would take the carp that people would kill. like a fertilization company. i got that idea from the grass carp thread.

Tyler, I appreciate the suggestion. I will look into it. I had planned to take the dead unclaimed carp home for crab bait, and to work into my garden, as I do every spring.

Drew, since you have nothing positive to contribute here, why not just ignore this thread? You ASSumed the carp would be banked, although no mention was ever made of it. I clearly stated in an early post to this thread that any method LEGAL would be allowed, but you had to start with accusations of illegally throwing them on the bank. I know it just kills you that some carp will be killed in this tournament, and it's just as much our right to do so as it is for you to release them.

At this point I hope everyone just puts you on ignore, if you have no audience, maybe you'll go to Iflush for your entertainment.
This tournament will be held in total compliance with Oregon law. To keep it central to most everyone I'm looking at Blue lake in Portland, willamette river ponds in Salem and a couple possibilities in Albany-Eugene area. Date wise, probably early May at this point. I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to tell me what works best for those actually interested in participating. Thanks, Todd

D
Drew9870
Dude, your worthless on this forum for such a comment, now you want to keep going deeper and deeper just because i have a valid, realistic point in the last few posts, now you want to belittle a forum member and tell me I am not welcome even though more than 75% of my posts are informal and not just saying "nice fish", YOU belong on Ifish, I feel extremely low for saying such a thing and I know I am disrespecting the forum by saying such a thing as well.

I said nothing more than Montana, and I laugh at the fact that you guys kill your Carp, it doesn't bug me, because I hand off my Carp to the extremely friendly Russian and Ukrainian folk whenever they are present, Carp are a delicacy to them. So how much more can it bug me for you to use them as Crab bait, I do understand people like this exist in this world.

You are pretty sad dude, do you fish? DO YOU think I would share my knowledge with Ifish? HAHA.

Oh, I would love to show you my favorite hole on the Willamette for the event, there is a slough right up from where I mainly fish, great park as well, we could have a potluck or picnic areas, but who would be hungry after catching Carp right? :lol:

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Could I recommend this as our location, it is friendly for Bow or Hook, an awesome slough runs along Commercial going South, average depth for section running along Commercial is only about 6-7ft, perfect for stick flicking.

Google Maps

The big part of the slough averages about 10ft, great for us tossing the lines, the cove on your west side (inside of Minto Island) is a shallow mud flat, great for the bow guys as well.

What do you think? I am highly familiar with this section and could give more details so most of you have success. I would be MORE than happy to rig up the fellow line guys with some lead and a baited hair rig, bring your Salmon/Jetty rod. I am pretty sure I could lead the Bow guys into some fish as well, I have always wanted to access that cove on the east side of Minto Island, no shore access whatsoever. Maybe we could stop with the crap talking and get down to where/how this is getting setup, because I am confident in rod and bow with my recommendation.

P.S. Mods, feel free to delete my above post, I am pretty sick of myself for stooping to such a level.

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
Sounds good! Now all we have to do is nail down a date.

D
Drew9870
I personally have not ran into a spawn yet, it doesn't happen at a certain time of year, it could happen from sometime in May all the way to late July, just depends on how the water is fluctuating and temps of course, generally as the water drops down to a specific level, this year seems a little strange for weather, so predicting the spawn would be very tough, but it's Oregon I guess.

My best luck happens after May, somewhere in June would be prime. I am highly looking forward to it. I'll have to give mrlindman and a few of my buddies that aren't on OFF word on this event.

If we happen to have one of our fellow Russian or Ukrainian buddies at the park, he will have his fish basket overflowing, maybe I'll donate a few just in case not everyone walks out with Crab bait.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
GungasUncle said:
Mebbe in addition to the carp killing - you could set things up so that ODFW has a squawfish bounty checker close by - should contestants get some qualifying squaws during the catch (Kill a squaw, save a thousand salmon?)

DUDE, I would never need a job, this place is SQUAWVILLE, which is why I switched to using Boilies, corn on the hook doesn't last long, especially in the warm months, I will tie up some rigs tonight, you can just clip them on a swivel if you have a legit way of rigging the weight to be stationary without creating a weak point on the line, a split shot above a slider just splits right off whether it's Braid or Mono sometimes, very frustuating. I'll put an order in for some more Euro gear hopefully this month so the rod guys can be rigged with a reliable bolt rig if they choose to use it. I would recommend 16-25lb Mono or 50-65lb Braid, or bring a Trout setup if you want to fish light, there is a slight current however, so weightless or small split shot doesn't cut it sometimes.

Maybe this thread should be shut down or something, possibly start a new one so it doesn't go back off subject from past comments.

What would be most convenient, anywhere between late May - late August should provide good fishing/hunting conditions, once the water drops to it's lowest, the fish will sometimes bask in the sun like they are praying for rain, the water will be at its clearest, and they sometimes pack in (I have seen up to) 40-50 fish in an area that could provide a days worth of hunting for a group of people, some fish look to be around 30lbs easy, very few under 12lbs, so if you shoot them and they don't drop instantly, hold on!

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
youngfisher21 said:
shut up dude ya you can go out and kill a deer cut the horns off and leave it you dont know what ur talking about kid

Actually no, you can not. It's called wasting game, and it is a crime. Look it up. And with a name like "youngfisher21" - you're probably in no position to be calling anyone "Kid"

B
Bad Tuna
Ok drew, let's get this nailed down so people can sign up. I'll start a new sign up thread. I haven't fished that area in 20 years. Is there a boat launch at mint brown or will boats have to launch at Wallace marine park? Which park is better for the weigh in? I'll ask to see what works best for others, maybe late may/early June so the water is a little warmer?

D
Drew9870
Wallace if you can't carry-in, I would recommend putting in behind the Arco/AmPm on Commercial and Mission if you can carry in a flat bottom boat or a small aluminum boat. Working your way up the channel where Pringle Creek pours into the main Willamette is a challenge, I watched a couple flip an aluminum boat trying to get down it (unharmed, one lost rod), better to unload and carry the boat across the island if your in a small enough boat, they do also pile up around where the creek dumps in, high oxygen levels, great Smallie water.

Fishermen are recommended to fish the dock behind the Willamette Queen Sternwheeler, the area around where Pringle dumps in is a bit trickier for angling, I have landed maybe 7-8 fish right here, and most of my time spent Carp fishing is in this section.

Bow guys, you know the drill, scan the shorelines, check the flats, and maybe take a run up the slough towards Minto Park if possible, a lot of this water is beautiful Carp/Bass water only accessible by boat.

T
Troutier Bassier
I'll go, if it's close to home.

D
Drew9870
TB, if I can talk Olivier into getting involved in this trip, maybe he could scoop you up.

I talked to him on the phone last night, and told me you two were in contact as well, he is quite knowledgable on Carp, he has caught many 40+lbers in France. He has great success on the Willy, really knows how to fish it.

I'd like to see a lot of people involved, even if we have had our downs, I have no problem tossing our internet days behind us like it never happened.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
TB, if I can talk Olivier into getting involved in this trip, maybe he could scoop you up.

I talked to him on the phone last night, and told me you two were in contact as well, he is quite knowledgable on Carp, he has caught many 40+lbers in France. He has great success on the Willy, really knows how to fish it.

I'd like to see a lot of people involved, even if we have had our downs, I have no problem tossing our internet days behind us like it never happened.

i might drop in if you two are goin. i mean, odds are ill see you out on the willy within the next two to three motnhs but it would be fun to watch you whup some ass. and we can talk while waiting for a bite and all that. i just hope one of those beasts won't break my steelhead rod.. ill be fishing lightweight stuff.

D
Drew9870
You would probably want your Salmon setup, I have a hard enough time controlling them with 12lb Maxima on my Salmon/Steelhead rod, mrlindman uses a Steelhead float rod, I forgot the name of it but probably 35% of the Steelhead guys own this rod along with the Shimano Sienna reel, he runs 14-16lb I believe.

A loose drag can usually always save your rod, and you if your heavy duty fishing, lol.

I'll be at the Willamette a lot this Summer once again, last year I got pretty well into the Bass, if Carp slows for a period of time, I'll target some Large and Smallmouth. Can't wait for Springers.

T
Troutier Bassier
Drew9870 said:

Oliver seems like a G. He gave me his number, so I'll be sure to go fishing with him on the Columbia soon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
You would probably want your Salmon setup, I have a hard enough time controlling them with 12lb Maxima on my Salmon/Steelhead rod, mrlindman uses a Steelhead float rod, I forgot the name of it but probably 35% of the Steelhead guys own this rod along with the Shimano Sienna reel, he runs 14-16lb I believe.

A loose drag can usually always save your rod, and you if your heavy duty fishing, lol.

I'll be at the Willamette a lot this Summer once again, last year I got pretty well into the Bass, if Carp slows for a period of time, I'll target some Large and Smallmouth. Can't wait for Springers.

thanks for the help ;) i'm hoping we can do one lclose to home so i can make it. has anyone suggested minto brown park? theres a sloguh abck there with some flats that are loaded with carp. my dads friend got one on corn that was atleast 15lbs

D
Drew9870
Minto Park is only a mile away from where we will be, Riverfront is a lot more Rod friendly, I have never caught one in the Minto Brown Park BACK area, let alone get into a school, but the front is a totally different story, just not enough room for a considerable amount of people.

I'll ride my longboard from Riverfront to Minto sometimes if my spot gets crowded, usually the crowders are people who are just casting and casting, and when you have a hair rig out, it is either leave it or bring it in, you cannot pick your rod up and slide your weight across the bottom, the hair will be rendered useless if a slight bit of weeds gets on the hook.

I guess TB, You, and I are all in the same predicament, the rod guys might have a hard time having a chance of winning the tourny if I don't bring the riggins, I usually catch/hook 6 on average in my spot ever since I used a hair rig.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the place we went was to the right of the parking spots in the front and you keep going right on the trail until youg et to the water.

T
Troutier Bassier
I tied up some hairs a few nights ago. Do they really produce that much more then bait on the hook?

C
colbypearson
if any of you are subscribed to FLW magazine they had a great article on some of the nations top invasive/ non native species you bet common carp, grass carp and the asian/big head carp were all included it was a good read.... it had them scaled on a leveling system one to five and why it was really interesting, what good timing too.

D
Drew9870
colbypearson said:
if any of you are subscribed to FLW magazine they had a great article on some of the nations top invasive/ non native species you bet common carp, grass carp and the asian/big head carp were all included it was a good read.... it had them scaled on a leveling system one to five and why it was really interesting, what good timing too.

Really? Carp? Invasive?

Explain more, I've never heard such a thing ;):lol:.