Any interest in a carp tournament?

B
Bad Tuna
I brought up the idea of a carp tournament months ago. My goal is for people to have fun and help the environment by killing some carp. No hidden agenda or conspiracy, just good entertainment on trash fish. Hopefully there will be enough interest.

E
eggs
Can we hold it somewhere we can pump lead into them?

J
john montana
Guess I am out. I mistook the original post for a genuine sentiment. Seems more like an excuse to complain about "trash" fish and kill and throw dead animals on the bank.

If you guys really want to get together, have a good time and be respectful and not wasteful I am interested.

Reactions: eggs
brandon4455
brandon4455
john montana said:
Guess I am out. I mistook the original post for a genuine sentiment. Seems more like an excuse to complain about "trash" fish and kill and throw dead animals on the bank.

If you guys really want to get together, have a good time and be respectful and not wasteful I am interested.

i was considering it too until the word "trash" got envolved.

E
eggs
john montana said:

I'd go warm water fly fishing with you c&r on something other than carp..

D
Drew9870
Wasting fish is illegal, just like land animals, you can't legally just go turn an 8 pointer into nothing. Hopefully people would have some respect and show other O.F.F. members some decency for the law, people who let fish rot on the shore remind me of this guy.

This Guy

Totally reminds me of every person I have ever met in person who throws fish on the bank besides Squawfish.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Drew9870 said:
Wasting fish is illegal, just like land animals, you can't legally just go turn an 8 pointer into nothing. Hopefully people would have some respect and show other O.F.F. members some decency for the law, people who let fish rot on the shore remind me of this guy.

This Guy

Totally reminds me of every person I have ever met in person who throws fish on the bank besides Squawfish.

Even wasting of squawfish is illegal. You don't have to eat the fish - but do something useful with it. Take it home, chunk it or freeze whole and use it for crab bait, chunk or cut into strips and use as sturgie or catfish bait, plant the fish in the ground and fertilize your gardens with it - anything other than club & kill and leave in the trash can or on the banks.

A carp tourney would be great fun - but John and Drew are right - this should be done with respect to the law, and all fish harvested should be utilized in some way. Crap - why not publicize it among the Eastern European (okay, Russian) community and let them take all the fish they want for food?

The guy that showed me how to rig up properly for carp was a crusty old Russian man, who put a hurting on the Tualatin's carp population every time he fishes. Never throws a fish back, never wastes a fish. I couldn't eat them, but he and his family enjoy them. I wish I knew how to contact him - he'd probably win the tourney by a landslide (or, carp-slide). Last time I saw him, he took 20+ fish home, the smallest was a 'baby' at 5lbs. The biggest were bigger around, and as long as my leg.

B
Bad Tuna
I absolutely plan on using all the carp for gardening, crab bait etc. Nobody said anything about throwing fish on the bank, as there is a WEIGH IN. Nice try to villainize the tournament. Odfw used to call carp trash fish, then it was rough fish, now it's non game invasive species. Were talking about a fish, not somebody's girlfriend, (i hope) quit taking everything so personal.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
BT - I don't think anyone's taken anything personal - just want to make sure the laws are followed - even regarding the lowly carp. It's what differentiates sportsman from say, slack jawed in-bred sister-loving snaggers. I think the concern wasn't so much the whack & stack during the actual competition, but what happened to the fish *after* the weigh-in. Hell, you could get someone there w/ a wood chipper to feed the fish into and make fish-mulch out of them (maybe better fertilizer that way, since it'll already be partially broken down. Help ma nature along...). Every participant could then take a bag of fish fertilizer home w/ them as a door prize, or, dock prize or whatever.

Mebbe in addition to the carp killing - you could set things up so that ODFW has a squawfish bounty checker close by - should contestants get some qualifying squaws during the catch (Kill a squaw, save a thousand salmon?)

Y
youngfisher21
shut up dude ya you can go out and kill a deer cut the horns off and leave it you dont know what ur talking about kid

B
Bad Tuna
Young fisher, you are right. Let's just let Drews wild comments and video links with F-bombs in them go. I'm trying to get a real tournament started. Let people decide how they feel about Drews comments and video. I reallywod hate to see this get off track.

D
Drew9870
Were talking about a fish, not somebody's girlfriend, (i hope) quit taking everything so personal.

Hey, chill out both of you, every single time I say something you think I am getting my panties in a bunch. Don't get all butt hurt and let this ''go off track'' by talking about my ''wild comments and video'', boohoo that we dropped an F bomb, what was that amendment? Isn't this a bit off track from a Carp tourny? I'm sure if a number of people from the forum would be disgusted by people tossing fish on the bank, I know you never said it would happen, but no one said it wouldn't happen at the beginning of the thread :think:. Don't think my last post was defensive, I guess it just sounds bad coming from me huh, because John Montana won't fish if the fish are tossed on shore either (Don't have to tell me, you never said it would/wouldn't happen), I posted that mainly so he would be under the impression that O.F.F. members would hopefully have enough decency to show others respect for the law.

Your timing to start this thread is extremely ironic, don't make up excuses around it because you know damn well the last controversial thread motivated you to start this one, ironic timing, it would not have been posted so soon. Don't make up excuses around this either, lol, cuz is is definitely fact.

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
"Carp will be spawning soon, what a great time to kill a few before they spawn! Any interest in having a carp tournament? Any legal method of taking carp will count, two prizes, one for biggest carp, second for most carp weighed in? We could get together on a Willamette slough, lake, where ever. Any suggestions? This could be a fun tournament that can bring carp lovers and haters together, while helping fish and water quality."

Where do you read anything about throwing fish on the bank? Have you ever seen a tourney weigh in? How could they weigh the fish in if they were laying on a bank somewhere? Use your head man.
As for the video with the F-bomb, we don't need that kind of language, This is a family friendly site. Btw, 1st amendment doesn't apply to private property, which OFF is.

The point of this tournament is to encourage people to catch and kill carp. If they are so sporting as you say, you'll gain some fishing friends, if not, our states waters will win by culling a few non native fish out. Either way, it will be fun, a chance to meet other OFF members and win a few prizes. How can anyone find fault in that?

D
Drew9870
Dude let's get off eachothers throats about the ''where did it say BS'', USE YOUR HEAD MAN, the fish doesn't magically 'poof' after it gets weighed, it is still going to be disposed of, so it can still end up on the shore, but we are playing the ''where did it say game'', right? Where did it say the fish do/do not have to be legally disposed of, don't try to change ''any legal method of TAKING Carp'' as pointing towards this in a future post, you obviously mean Shotgun, Bow, Net, Hand, Spear, other methods that require little to no skill/effort.

Use my head, lol, go read the Grass Carp thread, that thread didn't last long until it already seemed deserted, but who was ever comparing the Common Carp to Grass Carp, right? :lol: I figured someone would say that in the Grasser thread just to feel some sort of rightousness.

I even said I would be willing to participate, mainly just to meet OFF members as well as show them my fishing methods.

I bet you think I am terrible human being for posting this comment though, huh? :D;)

Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
heres an idea i think people from both sides would like. Joe said he wouldnt participate if we killed the card needlesly. How bout we find a place that would take the carp that people would kill. like a fertilization company. i got that idea from the grass carp thread.

D
Drew9870
youngfisher21 said:
shut up dude ya you can go out and kill a deer cut the horns off and leave it you dont know what ur talking about kid

And the Cabela's Gift Card for the most childish/ignorant post of 2011 goes to none other than........

The point was, how much respect do you think that kind of person gets? If you can go in public and happily explain that it is legal to slaughter Deer for no reason just to make a point, that is pretty disgusting. How could you say I have no idea what I am talking about, would you like a mirror? Do you know me?

I couldn't leave your comment alone, you have no business in such an argument if your COMMENT sounds very uneducated. Do you have something educational to share with, or just a reason to jump on in?

Sorry everyone else.....

If I had the software to bleep out the F bomb I would have, I don't really mess with video making, I thought you were speaking of one of three fishing videos mrlindman made that I was in.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Drew9870 said:
And the Cabela's Gift Card for the most childish/ignorant post of 2011 goes to none other than........

The point was, how much respect do you think that kind of person gets? If you can go in public and happily explain that it is legal to slaughter Deer for no reason just to make a point, that is pretty disgusting. How could you say I have no idea what I am talking about, would you like a mirror? Do you know me?

I couldn't leave your comment alone, you have no business in such an argument if your COMMENT sounds very uneducated. Do you have something educational to share with, or just a reason to jump on in?

Sorry everyone else.....

If I had the software to bleep out the F bomb I would have, I don't really mess with video making, I thought you were speaking of one of three fishing videos mrlindman made that I was in.

drew you are as arrogant as they come,you keep on calling people out then get mad when they respond....If you want to talk about uneducated comments then what was the education in your carp thread?then you start a CARP SECTION thread with no info other then to tell people not to come to the carp forum or look at pics if they dont like carp........you act like some local carp celebrity......then you ramble on about methods that take little to no skill or effort,,REALLY what is so complicated about tying on a chunk of lead and a hook with a breadball on it.?you have gotten really arrogant since you caught that catfish:rolleyes::rolleyes:

D
Drew9870
You are TaaRRIPPPIN Mr. Thinks he's oh so Holy, "I'll bring the Shotgun" And your can of dip? ;) Sorry if I sound harsh when I flick people ****.

Arrogant since I caught the Catfish, lol, if you add the fact I caught that thing on my first cast after being on the spot for 45 minutes, I believe it took no skill, just luck, skill would have been aiming for a specific spot from an educated guess of why the fish would hang out there, I blind casted 60yds out just so I could get close to the main Willamette current without being in it, using a Trout fillet for any damn Carnivore that exists in the Willamette besides Crayfish.

It is quite obvious when you tell someone to ''Shut up'' and want to make a point just by saying it is in fact legal to kill Deer and leave them, you have no business in an argument with people who are educated on the point of the argument. Get the flow? Or am I still the bad guy in this page of the thread?

Complicated about tying on a lead? Hard when you can't find proper utensils that are only shipped across seas with an order, just for me to fish Euro methods I had to make a custom order instead of getting a cheesy starter kit, ran around $160 just for proper hooks, weight clips and all the rigging goodies alone.

But hey, we will never be idols, so why do we communicate?

Last edited:
E
eggs
bigsteel said:
drew you are as arrogant as they come,you keep on calling people out then get mad when they respond....If you want to talk about uneducated comments then what was the education in your carp thread?then you start a CARP SECTION thread with no info other then to tell people not to come to the carp forum or look at pics if they dont like carp........you act like some local carp celebrity......then you ramble on about methods that take little to no skill or effort,,REALLY what is so complicated about tying on a chunk of lead and a hook with a breadball on it.?you have gotten really arrogant since you caught that catfish:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I know.. I want to know details.. sourdough or whole grain...

D
Drew9870
bigsteel, you should be arrested for internet manslaughter, you make more stabs than anyone I know, your rep is the biggest joke in the history of the web, I'll admit you don't act so full of yourself anymore.

P.S. No matter how much we trade words on the forum, I just look at it as a joke for the most part, we all have one thing in common, we loooove to fish. I'm still up for that in town fly fishing trip with Bigsteel and Mrlindman this year, no matter how close bigsteel and I have got to each others throats on the web, but that could be a totally different story in his view. Hell it would be a pleasure for eggs to show up, I kinda sorta dunno about that Bad Tuna dude though.

Last edited: