Any guess to the weight of this one?

C
colbypearson
rl206 said:
This electro-shocking is interesting,
Fall of 2010 they electro-shocked Silver Lake in Cowlitz Co. WA, appearently they got a 13lb 3oz largie to float up.
Crazy to think how old it must have been...

Might have been old but maybe not as old as you might think, really depends on the health of a fishery and the opportunities present to grown trophy class fish. I know Silver has some giant fish, it would be interesting to see test results on that fish, too bad fish are so hard to age!

I believe dottie California's 25.1lb behemoth was a relatively young fish I wont say exact age off memory, but it stands out in my mind.

I read somewhere that a bass was caught and released at 3.5lbs the fish had a tag witch was removed and that fish was in the upper teens also!

S
SeanC
Thanks for that article. Very interesting.

C
colbypearson
LOL GZ you know my friends better than I do, Steve P is the person I was looking for the years of dottie earlier and couldnt find.

Love that article!

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
No big bass today, only juveniles. Oddly enough the sloughs with a lot of juveniles don't tend to hold adults, and the sloughs with adults don't hold many juveniles.

G
GDBrown
Sounds like the little ones get smart real quick and leave the big ones to themselves, I have heard that bass are canabals. Like most other fish, right?

C
colbypearson
GDBrown said:
Sounds like the little ones get smart real quick and leave the big ones to themselves, I have heard that bass are canabals. Like most other fish, right?

True, opportunistic fits better in my opinion. I feel they will and do eat other bass but prefer their meals easier to digest & requiring less energy expenditure to attain.

D
dozer365
colbypearson said:
True, opportunistic fits better in my opinion. I feel they will and do eat other bass but prefer their meals easier to digest & requiring less energy expenditure to attain.

my buddy and i each caught a small mouth last week. mine 11'' and his 15 and a half. each had a small bass in the belly. reading this post has changed my mind of how many bass i will be keeping. does this info hold true for smallmouth too?

C
colbypearson
dozer365 said:
my buddy and i each caught a small mouth last week. mine 11'' and his 15 and a half. each had a small bass in the belly. reading this post has changed my mind of how many bass i will be keeping. does this info hold true for smallmouth too?

Yea same principles occur with smallmouth as far as aging and size ratio's but smallmouth reach smaller sizes, 3lbs is a true quality smallmouth anywhere in the state thats what I personally would call a nice one!. Very rarely do I hear of many 5+lb smallmouth outside the few awesome smallie fisheries Oregon has to offer.