Any fish over there?

B
burlafisherman
I have never heard of anything to be caught on the sandy river. Is it any good right now? If not when? And where? The only places I know of is Oxbow Park and Dodge Park. Any help welcome. Thanks guys! (Slowly making my first steps into salmon/steelhead world :p)

B
bubs
I suggest a realistic 3 step approach, maybe someone else will have a nicer reply--

Step 1: Learn how to use the search function on this site. My mind is boggled by there mere thought of the plethora of results I'd get if I searched "Sandy steelhead" or "Sandy salmon" or "Sandy river conditions"...research on Google and in books at the library would help complete this fantastic wellspring of free information

Step 2: Go to the river and scope it out, observe others fishing (if there aren't others fishing, you're in the wrong place), scout good spots, get your line wet. Put in the work everyone else who learns how to catch salmon/steelhead (more or less) on their own has to put in.

Step 3: Come back to the forum and ask more specific questions & post your reports of chrome beauty..

Reactions: troutdude
B
bubs
Oh and Oxbow is a great place for beginners to practice different techniques btw

B
burlafisherman
bubs said:
I suggest a realistic 3 step approach, maybe someone else will have a nicer reply--

Step 1: Learn how to use the search function on this site. My mind is boggled by there mere thought of the plethora of results I'd get if I searched "Sandy steelhead" or "Sandy salmon" or "Sandy river conditions"...research on Google and in books at the library would help complete this fantastic wellspring of free information

Step 2: Go to the river and scope it out, observe others fishing (if there aren't others fishing, you're in the wrong place), scout good spots, get your line wet. Put in the work everyone else who learns how to catch salmon/steelhead (more or less) on their own has to put in.

Step 3: Come back to the forum and ask more specific questions & post your reports of chrome beauty..

Awesome thanks for the info! I just got back from oxbow. Went to the boat ramp. Used eggs and jig without a bobber. There were other people fishing as well and a guy caught a coho on a spinner! I was surprised to see him catch on a spinner. I then left to another spot downriver right after the entrance took a little hike to the water and walked all the way down river to where I found a decent spot. Saw 3 fish and I was fishing there alone but no bites.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

J
~JM~
Try the pulled pork sandwich, or if you like something spicy, he does up a nice dog.

B
bubs
burlafisherman;n599091 said:
Awesome thanks for the info! I just got back from oxbow. Went to the boat ramp. Used eggs and jig without a bobber. There were other people fishing as well and a guy caught a coho on a spinner! I was surprised to see him catch on a spinner. I then left to another spot downriver right after the entrance took a little hike to the water and walked all the way down river to where I found a decent spot. Saw 3 fish and I was fishing there alone but no bites.

Cool! Maybe hit that spot in low light conditions with a spinner as soon as you can, conditions & fish locations change by the day (if not hour/minute...)

Maybe ditch the eggs for a spinner or spoon (those Steel E spoons are cheap as heck and they catch coho well enough). I like coho fishing with spoons/spinners because you don't necessarily have to tick the bottom like you do with steelhead, so you end up losing less gear and it's easier to figure out. Good luck!

B
burlafisherman
bubs said:
Cool! Maybe hit that spot in low light conditions with a spinner as soon as you can, conditions & fish locations change by the day (if not hour/minute...)

Maybe ditch the eggs for a spinner or spoon (those Steel E spoons are cheap as heck and they catch coho well enough). I like coho fishing with spoons/spinners because you don't necessarily have to tick the bottom like you do with steelhead, so you end up losing less gear and it's easier to figure out. Good luck!
Thanks a lot man! Will do exactly as you advised! I learn everyday something new