Another drowning...

C_Run
C_Run
We see a lot of recreational paddlers where I live. Many have their pfd's neatly strapped to the tops of their kayaks and I always wonder if they intend to put them on after they flip.

troutdude
troutdude
Saw that on the news. Tragedy's like that; can often be avoided by wearing PFD's.

C
capblack
C_Run said:
We see a lot of recreational paddlers where I live. Many have their pfd's neatly strapped to the tops of their kayaks and I always wonder if they intend to put them on after they flip.

i'm guessing that doesn't meet the "readily accessible" requirement, nor is it very smart.

bass
bass
Wow, that is a bummer. I wear my PFD all the time.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv been on this section numerous times. Its a real mellow area, but if you arnt paying attention or know how to avoid strainers or other obstacles it can be deadly like any river.

Ill continue to not wear my life jacket unless there is a major rapid especially in the summer. Hopefully more people learn how to properly row a boat in a flowing river. Id hate for instances like this to cause the law to change to make me wear my pfd at all times.

Throbbit_Shane A Pontoon Angler

Reactions: TTFishon
bass
bass
Throbbit _Shane said:
Iv been on this section numerous times. Its a real mellow area, but if you arnt paying attention or know how to avoid strainers or other obstacles it can be deadly like any river.

Ill continue to not wear my life jacket unless there is a major rapid especially in the summer. Hopefully more people learn how to properly row a boat in a flowing river. Id hate for instances like this to cause the law to change to make me wear my pfd at all times.

Throbbit_Shane A Pontoon Angler

I wear my PFD all the time because pretty much any time I am on the water I am on the water with Powerboats. My biggest concern is getting run over and knocked unconscious, I figure a PFD would be nice in these situations. I am so used to wearing it that it would feel weird not to wear one. This year I did buy an auto inflatable PFD from fisherman's marine during the sportsman show. I have not used it yet, but I will likely switch over to it one of these trips.

When I lived in PA I used to fish a bunch of electric motor only lakes with my Coleman Crawdad. I always brought a PFD but I never wore it.

C
coyo7e
I wear a PFD any time I'm in water I'm not entirely intimately familiar with, or any time I'm in a group, when it comes to boats (Eagle Scout, swim team, etc, and with a bit of extra float I am pretty secure in being able to get most folks to safety at need, or be able to take it off if I need to). Solo in a canoe or something I'll whip the vest on just in sketchy areas, but if I am on any kind of river I probably have a helmet on because I am deathly afraid of clocking myself rolling a kayak or spilling out of a canoe and onto a rock.

Don't wear a bike helmet though because road rash hurts enough I don't know if I'll want to wake up from one that bad LOL, I hate being mummy-wrapped for weeks at a time! :blushing: Always wear gloves though, because being able to catch myself on my hands mostly saves me from my bike path wrecks.