Another adventure on the Prairie 8/11/12

J
JohnOD
First fish of the day was a nice Koke starting to show his kype. This fish put up a great fight!
001-30.jpg

Next up was a 24" native that in the process of being released left me with a little gift, the dropper buried past the barb. She spent more time in the air than the water, jumping five or six times and was pretty well spent after that.
002-22.jpg

003-17.jpg

The day started out warm and got down right hot by mid afternoon. The breeze that has been starting in the early afternoon never showed up. I went through a big bottle of Gatorade and eight bottles of water in nine hours.
We must have had a fire up near Sisters as the smoke completely obscured our view of the Cascades at times.
013-3.jpg

Without a breeze to churn up the water the surface temp was pushing 76 degrees by mid afternoon. That’s when we headed to cooler water to fish.
014-2.jpg

Damsel heliport
010-8.jpg

After four hours without a hookup (the afternoons can be very slow), almost delirious in the unrelenting sun my indicator dove deep and the battle was on! This one dove, went where ever it wanted and besides one boil never came up till the end of the battle.
020.jpg

Another native! The pics don’t do this fish justice. It was just a tad over 24” and a good 1 1/2lbs heaver that the bow I hooked in the morning.
021.jpg

Where’s the beef?
022.jpg

This is the fly the fish in the pic above ate. Proof that loop size doesn’t matter. One of Sinkline’s ties... THANKS RANDY!!!
024.jpg

All in all it was a slow day on Crane with three bows, a Brook Trout (on the Pumpkin Head) and four Kokanee the total for the day. My season on C.P. is quickly drawing to a close. While the numbers of fish are down there is something about the Reservoir and it’s Trout that always calls me back. It is indeed a special place and I consider myself blessed to be able to fish it as much as I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin and Sinkline
O
OnTheDrop
Well done ! Aint nothin' like wild bows....

F
flocaster
Beautiful fish! Really makes me want to want to get back into fly fishing. Too bad none of the lakes here on the coast have room for a back cast LOL

L
lilsalmon
Excellent report! Beautiful fish. That is a very nice fly of Randy's. Thanks for the report, makes me want to get out on some stillwater even more.

troutdude
troutdude
Well, it looks like you've "OD'd" on fishing once again. But, what a GREAT addiction to have, eh? LOL

Excellent report.

F
FlyBum
Nice!! Like the hook, here's the last one that stuck me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FlyBum
Sinkline said:
Ouch! I think that would be more painful then the hand to try and yank out! :shock:

Randy

Ya, had to get pushed through, have the barb pinched then backed out.

C
c_chickens
looks like those non-native large mouth fishies r doing a number on those trout.... btw on ifish we went down bass fishing a couple weekends ago my buddy got a 9.14 trout with a crank bait going for bass by the docks an it came from under the dock an slammed it.. great place for bass fishing! crazy other then that 1 3pound largie an a bunch of 1-2 pounders! also 10 channel cats