Alsea River fishing reports

Combat Chuck

Its been awhile since I have posted an actual report,so,here goes.My bud and I hit the the n fork Alsea about noon,wasnt long before I remembered why I dont fish here much.Seems like the most of the meatheads that frequent this place are less interested in catching fish as they are just beating you to the hole you intend to fish.But whatever,there is plenty of water to hit up.Started at clemens,missed a couple,and so did my bud(I'm fly'n,he's jig'n).The sqeezers started to get thick, so we blew and hit the confluence. Five minutes later we have banked three nickel bright beauties(one for the tag) and missed more than I care to admit.Hiked the rest of the top stretch,I hooked up with two more chromers,lost em both on the jump.Back to the top of the run for one more pass,my bud nails a good bright ten pounder,hen,and tags out.I continue to flog until sqeezie squeezerton shows up, and just starts casting right into my bubble.The fishin is hot,but not hot enough to deal with combat condition, when there is miles of open river to fish.So to sum it up,there are some nice fish movin thru,should be to honey grove and clemens by tommorow,And conditions are good,so......:D
I was at Clemens on wednesday but never was really around anyone. Sounds like your a magnet for em! lucky you. I talked to a fly guy on the bridge, was that you?

steelhead1

I always eyeball people.
Seems like most of the peaple I interact with on the river(I try to avoid this whenever possible) end up being down to earth and like minded,probably due to the kind of places I like to fish.When time or circumstances dont allow for a long trip in, I will hit some of the "popular" stretches of water.This is where the unsavory characters tend to invade my little stretch of river,sometimes in a rude or pushy way.It sucks but there is nothing I can do,exept call 'em an *ss and find a different place to fish(and whine a little on this forum).:rolleyes:

Combat Chuck

Continued a good season today. Caught one on the second cast at the hatchery. It was bright red so he went back. Got a little crowded when the sun came out a few minutes later so I went down river. Took some work but I got to take home some chrome!

steel.png

Combat Chuck

Fought 2 and landed 1 yesterday. One chromer and one turning red. Had some other strikes but never saw em. Sure looks nasty today!

steelhead1

Little bows and cutties, perhaps a nice sea run cutt now and then. There are a few summer steelhead around,but it is a small run. Crawdaddin' is your best bet!

troutdude

Little bows and cutties, perhaps a nice sea run cutt now and then. There are a few summer steelhead around,but it is a small run. Crawdaddin' is your best bet!
Yep. X2. An occassional bow to 16". But, they are few and far between. It's mostly cutties under 10". Not likely to find to many SRC's this time of year either. They run in the late summer and fall.

qwapaw

Anyone know how crabbing has been. I can always find something to fish for if crabbing is good. Had to cancell my reservations at Siltcoos as I was too ill last weekend and first par of this week, but am doing better now and can wander wherever I want this weekend. Let's hear all about the crabbing, and where to you drop your crawdad traps too. Thank Qwa (Dan)

steelhead1

Anyone know how crabbing has been. I can always find something to fish for if crabbing is good. Had to cancell my reservations at Siltcoos as I was too ill last weekend and first par of this week, but am doing better now and can wander wherever I want this weekend. Let's hear all about the crabbing, and where to you drop your crawdad traps too. Thank Qwa (Dan)
I have not heard about any good crabbing, But the Alsea and five rivers are packed with nice crawdads. One spot seems as good as the next for 'em.

steelhead1

Yep. X2. An occassional bow to 16". But, they are few and far between. It's mostly cutties under 10". Not likely to find to many SRC's this time of year either. They run in the late summer and fall.
Yes the src's do come IN late summer and fall,but I have had some of my best days for 'em in the early spring, before they return to salt. At least I assume thats why there will be numbers one day, and very few the next.

brandon4455

ive found sea run cutts in coastal rivers all of the time. they poke in and out of rivers year around. ive caught some big ones while steelhead fishing in march.

JonBouy

where abouts should i go to get into the salmon? What are you usin if ya dont mind me askin? I hooked my first salmon out at dexter about a month ago..foul hooked so i had to let the 15 lb beauty go. Been on the hunt ever since almost daily. Not even a bite in about a month straight. Help!! I live in eugene but maybe not a good time for fishin here?

JonBouy

where would be a good spot to go for steelhead and salmon combo? Or if anyone would be willing to let me tag along with them on a trip that would be awesome!!

Last edited:

JeannaJigs

Fish the mckenzie or willamette for springers and steelhead right now, good numbers meandering around eugene right now. The alsea is a winter and fall show.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom