Advice on rod and reel

Gravel_Bottom

I just picked up a SST-S-962ML at Dicks on clearance for $56.00, I have a Shimano spinning reel. I have 12# P-Line CXX main line and 8lb leader. Can't wait to give it a try... good luck with your setup!

kevn47

What will be your primary technique for this set-ups?

Same rod I've used for quite awhile now for bobber/jig and really like it. I'm partial to the Okuma reels, I've had really good luck with my Epixor......

I'm also a Fireline guy, really like the 14# for bobber/jig (bait)....
So do you use the the fluorescent colored Fireline? I tried the dark stuff and had a hell of a time seeing to mend it properly.

ChezJfrey

So do you use the the fluorescent colored Fireline? I tried the dark stuff and had a hell of a time seeing to mend it properly.
LOL, I did the same thing for a few years; was using dark green on my float rod and even though I couldn't see it most of the time and it stifles mending, still kept buying the same stuff. Last year, I finally 'remembered' to grab yellow. What a difference! I still use dark colored for everything else, because I'm superstitious that way, but yeah, buy a lighter color for floats.

ChezJfrey

Cool thanks. But that means I have to go spend another $17. :sad:
Just do what I always do...suck it up and keep thinking, "lesson learned," keep using it until it's end-of-life and you have to re-spool anyway, then pitch out the money because you were going to anyway because it's now frayed and weak. Just don't do the part I did, where I repeated that same cycle several times...never really "learning the lesson." LOL Just do it once, use what you have until "it's done," then go to something like white/yellow.

Artwo

I use the Crystal..................

My buddy just re-spooled with the fluorescent but I haven't seen it in action yet to say if I might like it better or not. I don't have any problem seeing the crystal however..............

Hooked Up

For float fishing I use yellow 30# braid. I think the larger diameter line floats better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kevn47

Just do what I always do...suck it up and keep thinking, "lesson learned," keep using it until it's end-of-life and you have to re-spool anyway, then pitch out the money because you were going to anyway because it's now frayed and weak. Just don't do the part I did, where I repeated that same cycle several times...never really "learning the lesson." LOL Just do it once, use what you have until "it's done," then go to something like white/yellow.
LoL. You mean doing the same thing over and over with the same results doesn't work? :D Don't worry man--I been there plenty too. I'll use the dark stuff this summer for trolling for trout. It was jus almost impossible to work with and I don't want to waste time on the river. Thanks for all the advice.

upstate88

The reel came in the mail today and i got some line on it. I put some mono backer and put some bright green I found in the garage. I will most likely get some better line down the road but free is free. I just hope free garage line does not result in lost fish. I also picked up a couple spools of flora carbon 6lb and 8lb for leader material. Now the next step is going to be acquiring tackle.

kevn47

The reel came in the mail today and i got some line on it. I put some mono backer and put some bright green I found in the garage. I will most likely get some better line down the road but free is free. I just hope free garage line does not result in lost fish. I also picked up a couple spools of flora carbon 6lb and 8lb for leader material. Now the next step is going to be acquiring tackle.
Lesson learned today--as long as your fluoro is not P-Line Fluoroclear you should be ok. I lost about 5 jigs and a fish because of that crap. I also heard that when using fluoro you may need to increase #test to like 10lb. I'd actually like to see what folks on the forum think about that.

Any feedback?

Willerman

Lesson learned today--as long as your fluoro is not P-Line Fluoroclear you should be ok. I lost about 5 jigs and a fish because of that crap. I also heard that when using fluoro you may need to increase #test to like 10lb. I'd actually like to see what folks on the forum think about that.

Any feedback?
I use 10 and might go up to 12. If it's 100% flourocarbon I doubt the fish will be able to see it or tell. I'm not an expert though so I would love to hear others opinions as well. I actually was gifted some pre-tied yarnies w/ 14lb flouro for the leader so I might try those, too. I actually use p-line flourocarbon so I hope it holds when I snag a fish!

ChezJfrey

Any feedback?
You're not the only one that passes on fluoro. I know some swear by it. I know it's a bit more particular about how knots are tied. I'm meticulous when it comes to knot tying; I typically use lots of slobber on my knots to get a tight, neat, non-friction knot. But I was getting all kinds of breaks at the knot with flouro and finally resigned myself to just use mono instead...usually Maxima UltraGreen. I too was also using a P-Line version of fluoro, so it might be the brand I was using? I don't know, but I gave up on it a couple years ago. Might be me, might be 'wrong', but I catch fish without it and without the frustration fluoro was giving me.