a learning process

W
Wickerdave
Hi Guys,

Ok, 2nd try at Green Peter for Kokenee. Got on the lake by 8:00am. Set down riggers at 65" down rigger rods rigged with Silver and chartreuess and silver dodgers with chartruess and pink Hootchies set about 12" behind the dodgers. Corn dipped in Kokenee scent on the hootchies. Trolled at the slowest we could get my 140 Suzuki down to, GPS on sonar was reading 1.9 to 2.4 mph. I caught one Kokenee within 2 minutes of dropping our lines in, and not a bite the next 3 hours. Others on the lake were catching fish. What was I doing wrong? Trolling speed too fast? Help!!

C
ChezJfrey
Wickerdave said:
Hi Guys,

Ok, 2nd try at Green Peter for Kokenee. Got on the lake by 8:00am. Set down riggers at 65" down rigger rods rigged with Silver and chartreuess and silver dodgers with chartruess and pink Hootchies set about 12" behind the dodgers. Corn dipped in Kokenee scent on the hootchies. Trolled at the slowest we could get my 140 Suzuki down to, GPS on sonar was reading 1.9 to 2.4 mph. I caught one Kokenee within 2 minutes of dropping our lines in, and not a bite the next 3 hours. Others on the lake were catching fish. What was I doing wrong? Trolling speed too fast? Help!!

I don't know much about Kokanee fishing, but what I've seen about it...there are probably a number of things to consider:

Are you sure you were running your gear through fish? Both location and depth? Do you have a finder? I've seen accounts where the fish can be 15 feet, through your 65...if you're trolling in the right area, but your gear is way below them, you won't catch them.

If you're certain you're running through a number of fish, then perhaps try slower (I've seen suggestions that it should be slow and one mentioned trolling speed range of .9 to 1.2). Still no go, change up your colors/presentations. Dodgers seem to be preferred distance attraction, so keep those, but maybe switch up colors or switch lures in favor of Dick Nites, small buzz bomb, spin n glow, or ???

D
DYJ
figure out a way to slow your troll down to at least 1.5 or lower

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. The biggest mistake that I see trollers make; is trolling too fast. Slower is usually best. However, occassionally bumping up the speed--and then backing OFF fast on the throttle--has been proven to catch fish. Its the sudden change that triggers a bite sometimes.

Most also do not understand the concept of the "S Curve" trolling pattern. In other words, don't just troll in a straight line. Making turns, will drop the gear deepers on the inside of the turn. While the gear on the outside of the turn, will raise up. This trick will also trigger bites.

You also may have been either too deep--or not deep enough. So, varying your depth will help too (as will a variety of flashers/dodger, spinners, spoons, colors, etc).

Don't rely on just a single scent either, on your bait. Take several scents along, and find out what works (and it can be different from day to day).

Try different baits as well. Corn is a proven bait; but don't ignore others. Grubs sometimes work; as do others.

BTW, these principles apply when trolling for other species too. Not just kokes.

Good luck.

P.S. It is indeed a learning process.

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
X2 on what troutdude said. In addition I find I get more hits when trolling perpendicular to the morning sun. Figure the angle of sun at 90 degrees makes for more flash. I've had more luck with anise scent than any other. Good lures for me are the trout & kokanee killers by pro-troll in silver, watermelon and orange. But I share your misery. When I'm being skunked at GP, I pull off near the bank, throw in a worm and catch a couple of trout.

N
Ntofishing
I agree... going slow was the key for me catching them this year. I ended up catching them wind drifting which I would estimate under that 1mph barrier. Also don't forget to try inline blades as attractors to change it up.