4 oz.Costal Trout or 20-30 lb

troutdude
troutdude
Did anyone ever say that there are "intelligent" peeps at ODFW? Well, that reg sure takes the cake. Insert the voice of Mr. Rogers here...

"can you say counterproductive...sure...I knew you could!" LOL

M
Mad dog
GDBrown said:
Unfortunately ODFW has stated in the regs in many places that:

• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon,
which are always considered salmon regardless of size.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater,
May 28-Aug. 31. See exceptions under Special Regulations
where use of bait is allowed.

That means that you can catch a 14 inch salmon and keep it even if salmon season is closed if trout season is open! Go figure.....

This law makes perfect sense to me! :D ;)

C_Run
C_Run
Go away for a week and look what happens. I am glad all of you hashed this over thoroughly because now it is crystal clear. Mr. Razz made the exact same comment on my thread called south coast trout last week and , to say the least, I was confused. I kept hoping he would write back to clarify his meaning.

M
Mad dog
Best post of the thread right here!!! Answers Razz's question perfectly! It all has to do with smolts, the 8" minimum trout length and why the season starts the last weekend of may. Modest man is spot on! Once the smolting process begins for salmon they are gone....genetic repose that occurs while smolting that sends the down to the estruaries where the acclimate and feed for several months before heading to sea. Right now, Coos bay is packed with salmon smots, go try to jig a herring off of the docks, you would catch 1,000's of salmon smolts if you tried. Head up to Coos river, I doubt you could find a salmon smolt, probably be able to find a few steelhead parr which are not going to be over the 8" minimum trout retention length anyway.

Personally I don't see a lot of trout fisherman in coos bay??? Lot's of cormorant's and other predators that can ravage smolt populations. Do coastal trout fishermen need to be educated and aware of what the are harvesting? Damn, Straight!!! Are they doing a lot of damage? I doubt it!

M
Mad dog
GDBrown said:
Unfortunately ODFW has stated in the regs in many places that:

• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon,
which are always considered salmon regardless of size.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater,
May 28-Aug. 31. See exceptions under Special Regulations
where use of bait is allowed.

That means that you can catch a 14 inch salmon and keep it even if salmon season is closed if trout season is open! Go figure.....

It all has to do with Mini Jacks, the ODFW is allowing them to be harvested in aggregate with the trout limit as trout. The smolts have migrated out and this allows some opportunity to harvest some of these sub legal jacks as trout, there good eating, they are going to die when the run spawns anyway, plus....If I was into fish management I wouldn't want those little suckers sneaking into the reds and trying to spread their gene's into the fish population.

G
GDBrown
I agree they are very hungry little suckers aren't they. I catch them all the time down on the Wilson. Great fun on a fly rod but most are too small to be worth keeping and I don't intentionally leave fish on the bank unless they are carp. :lol:

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:
Did anyone ever say that there are "intelligent" peeps at ODFW? Well, that reg sure takes the cake. Insert the voice of Mr. Rogers here...

"can you say counterproductive...sure...I knew you could!" LOL

There are dozens of intelligent peeps at ODFW, many of them educated at your favorite school.

C_Run
C_Run
Here's another interesting fact I just read in the April 2011 Salmon Trout Steelheader on page 8, reporting on OSU research on steelhead genetics. Apparently the species is not simply either rainbows or steelhead but rather the steelhead can interbreed with regular rainbows in the rivers or breed with each other. Also, they state that instream rainbow trout can produce individuals that become steelhead. So, the conclusion is that the genetics is more complicated than one might have imagined and rainbow trout play a big role somehow in the steelhead gene pool. So, yes, a four ounce trout can come back bigger in a few year in this case.

Razz, if you are still out there, in the future could you take an extra minute of writing to state your ideas clearly, please?

C
capblack
GDBrown said:
I don't intentionally leave fish on the bank unless they are carp. :lol:

careful gd. this comment has gotten me in trouble with the public a time or two. although i agree