4 oz.Costal Trout or 20-30 lb

J
JeannaJigs
What the shirt is going on here...

C
colbypearson
Hes right if only i had a nickel for everytime a future 50lb trout is killed, well i would have.... hmmmmm.

C
colbypearson
Razz said:
Just saying if you kill a 4 oz trout it will never return as a adult salmon or steelhead .
i hate it when the trout dont grow up to be salmon too!... :(

S
Spydeyrch
Razz said:
Just saying if you kill a 4 oz trout it will never return as a adult salmon or steelhead .

Ok, I can kind of see what you are saying but to make it make more sense, you should really use the proper tuerms to better communicate what you are truly trying to say.

Trout are trout. There are rainbow trout, cut-throat trout, brown trout, etc etc etc..

Steelhead are just sea-going rainbow trout. Not all rainbow trout go out to sea to become steelhead.

A smolt is one of the stages of juvenile fish. salmon smolt are very very similar to trout smolt in appearance, with just a very distinguishing features, such as the size of the eyes.

thus when you say if we catch a 4 oz. trout, I am assuming you really mean a 4 oz smolt. But is that smolt a salmon smolt or a trout smolt?

-Spydey

M
Modest_Man
If you want to get technical the smolt stage is when the young salmon or steelhead turn silver and head down river and out to sea. If you're catching juvenile salmon or steelhead 95% of the time they're parr, not smolt. If they have the vertical markings they're parr. If they are nice and silver they're smolt. As smolt they're only in the river for a couple weeks as they head downstream, while as parr they're around for quite a while.

D
DB Crouper
Don't shoot geese

Don't shoot geese

Kill a 5 pound goose today and it won't come back as an 800 pound elk tomorrow.:)

• elkmarch 005.JPG
Reactions: colbypearson and ninja2010
M
Modest_Man
I just hear people calling parr smolts all the time. Guess I just felt like adding something else of use to this useful thread. ;)

H
Hawk
Anadromous fishes spend most of their adult lives at sea, but return to freshwater to spawn. :)

ANADROMOUS FISH

T
tnffishman
does anyone out there actually INTENTIONALLY kill smolts/parr?

N
ninja2010
for the most part, i doubt it... but i don't think anyone's gonna fess up here if they do.

they'll ultimately just have to answer gravely to the fish gods.

Reactions: OnTheFly
D
DB Crouper
ninja2010 said:
for the most part, i doubt it... but i don't think anyone's gonna fess up here if they do.

they'll ultimately just have to answer gravely to the fish gods.

This young man killed a smolt. These fish gods arrived shortly after to mete out justice. It was terrible.

J
JeannaJigs
tnffishman said:
does anyone out there actually INTENTIONALLY kill smolts/parr?

Uneducated people, and the same people usually don't have licenses or tags

N
ninja2010
DB Crouper said:
This young man killed a smolt. These fish gods arrived shortly after to mete out justice. It was terrible.

i'll bet it wasn't intentional, hence the wrath he faced faced was merely with the demi-fishgods (they look too cute). but, hopefully the young man learned his lesson...

troutdude
troutdude
Razz said:

Killing a four ounce trout...is ILLEGAL.

P.S. Look up the definition of trout. It will not include the word Salmon.

J
JeannaJigs
In the words of Rose.... la la la la la la la la la....yawn

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
In the words of Rose.... la la la la la la la la la....yawn

hahaha

G
GoldFishSlayer
I for one think they look completely different every one I have ever caught anyways parr or smolt hold one nevt to a rainbow or cutty the difference can be seen but then again not everyone is aware of smolt or parr they aee a little fish and think trout

F
fish4life
I have seen people before catch smolt before and kept them thinking they were trout, use to happen a lot on the Molalla. The worst part about it is that when you try to tell the people that they are smolt they argue with you and tell you that they are trout. I think that is why they changed regulations for streams a few years ago.

G
GDBrown
troutdude said:

Unfortunately ODFW has stated in the regs in many places that:

• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
• Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon,
which are always considered salmon regardless of size.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater,
May 28-Aug. 31. See exceptions under Special Regulations
where use of bait is allowed.

G
GDBrown
Salmon or Trout?

Salmon or Trout?

troutdude said:

Unfortunately ODFW has stated in the regs in many places that:

• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon,
which are always considered salmon regardless of size.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater,
May 28-Aug. 31. See exceptions under Special Regulations
where use of bait is allowed.

That means that you can catch a 14 inch salmon and keep it even if salmon season is closed if trout season is open! Go figure.....

Last edited: