2lb test reviews?

F
FernRidgeChamp
I purchased a new net after losing some monsters this past week from my 2 lb test leader snapping. I’d like to run 2lb test line and leader but will settle w/ 4lb test line and 2 lb leader. What is the strongest line out there? There has to of been some studies done somewhere that compare the different lines. I’m looking at Berkley’s fireline line but not sure and don’t want to drop $40 for a spool of it if it sucks. I’m getting a new reel (DAIWA CERTATE 1500 Spinning Reel) within the month and want a decent line to run w/ it.

Best line 2-4 lb line and best 2lb leader? Your opinions and any links to reviews/studies would be appreciated!

BTW, Fish-n-Fools knot rocks.

FRC

T
Troutier Bassier
My Friend has Fireline and it hasnt snapped yet.
6lb Fireline Pulled in a 10lb Carp In a Few Minutes.
Fireline is Strong and Thin, IMO

F
FernRidgeChamp
Troutier Bassier said:
My Friend has Fireline and it hasnt snapped yet.
6lb Fireline Pulled in a 10lb Carp In a Few Minutes.
Fireline is Strong and Thin, IMO

Hey thanks! I'm also looking into Sunline 2lb test. It is supposed to be the best but I cannot find any real reviews yet. Still looking. I found a 2lb test fireline that is used for jewelry making. Not sure why it's not available to fisherman but it's the same fireline I think.

2lb Fireline
Berkley FireLine Crystal 0.08mm diameter 2 lb test fnb - eBay (item 400071213298 end time Oct-03-09 09:22:25 PDT)
I contacted the seller asking if they have larger spools, as it seems they only offer 50 yd spools.

2lb Sunline
SUNLINE Super FC Sniper Fluoro 2Lb/200 Yd NEW - eBay (item 310162188076 end time Sep-14-09 13:22:22 PDT)

Thanks again.

S
steelheadstalker31
The fire line crystal is a good choice as a main line. I would not tie it directly to my bait or lure though as I feel fish can see braid much easier than mono. If you are using 2lb leader make sure if you have a braid main line that you use a long leader so that you have a decent amount of stretch, because 2lb snaps if you look at it wrong. I like seagar floro for leader material. You get what ask for when you buy seagar. Many Floro leader makers may be stronger for the quoted lb test, but actually they just have a thicker diameter and when you are fishing line shy fish that is not what you want.

J
JAYDEE
Fireline is braided and doesn't work good for spinning reels! In my opinion maxima ultragreen is the best mainline and leaderline for spinning reels at least. It is very stong and durable and my line of choice.

G
GoneFishin2134
Fish-n-fool knot! FTW. That is all I was ever taught to use, or a Uni-knot. I run the same combo ad it works great. Hooked a 3 1/2 Bass on my 2Lb leader with Fish-n-fool knot.

F
FernRidgeChamp
steelheadstalker31 said:
The fire line crystal is a good choice as a main line. I would not tie it directly to my bait or lure though as I feel fish can see braid much easier than mono. If you are using 2lb leader make sure if you have a braid main line that you use a long leader so that you have a decent amount of stretch, because 2lb snaps if you look at it wrong. I like seagar floro for leader material. You get what ask for when you buy seagar. Many Floro leader makers may be stronger for the quoted lb test, but actually they just have a thicker diameter and when you are fishing line shy fish that is not what you want.
I've always used a long leader just so I don't have to re-tie the leader when switching gear. I don't understand what you mean you get what you ask for. I am researching Seaguar and they claimed to be the best on the market (but what manufacturer doesn’t? :lol: ) I assume you use the blue label? Do you use the 2 lb test? Ever land a steelhead w/ it? Just curious... What do you use as a main line?

I'm getting a G. Loomis TSR series soon and am not sure of what length to get. I troll from a pontoon and length is desired so probably TSR-801. I feel with this rod I can get away with a stiffer line like the fireline. It has a very soft tip and should not get jerked from the fish’s mouth.

Seaguar was the first manufacturer of fluro-leader. I thought that was a cool fact.

JAYDEE said:
Fireline is braided and doesn't work good for spinning reels! In my opinion maxima ultragreen is the best mainline and leaderline for spinning reels at least. It is very stong and durable and my line of choice.

After doing a quick search I was unable to find any information why braided lines don't work anything but exceptional on spinner reels. Please explain why this is your opinion. I appreciate your response. I have always been a fan of the maxima ultra green leader and carry a 2lb and a 4 lb spool for lake fishing. I carry a lot of different types of leader for different scenarios but want one for strength to go w/ my next combo purchase.

J
JAYDEE
I have tried fire line and other different line that is braided and all it ever does is twist and makes a mess and I spend more time getting tangles out then fishing. When i use mono i never have problems idk maybe its my luck but i know people who also claim to have the same problems as me with the braided line.

S
steelheadstalker31
I've use fireline crystal for the last 2 years on my steelhead rods with spinning reels and it works great. What I meant about the line is when you buy 2lb seagar you are getting a line with the diameter of 2lb, where if you buy maxima ug 2lb you are getting a line with 4lb diameter and thus the reason everyone thinks it is so strong. Just an example, I am not sure the exact diameter of Maxima compared to other lines, but it is thicker than most for the lb test rating. I have used the 2lb test, but not for steelhead. We have landed them on 4lb though. Before you pull the trigger on that Loomis I would look into having a custom rod built. You could get top end components on a custom rod for less than what you would pay for that Loomis. My 2 cents

Last edited:
F
FernRidgeChamp
If you don't mind me asking what size swivel do you use? Also, what size leader? The swivel must be in proportion to the leader material otherwise excessive line twist will occur. Possibly because typical braided line floats the use of a smaller swivel will prevent this. Also a slower retrieve. The line must also go on the reel (off of the lines spool) in a counter-clockwise motion, so that it comes off of the reel in a synchronized clockwise motion.

I battle line twist with all of my main lines no matter what type, my gear is so light usually it's hard to find swivels that can function properly. Ideally the smaller the line the smaller the swivel, some claim the diameter of the wire of your swivel should not exceed the diameter of your leader material. But when using 2 lb test it's nearly impossible to find that swivel. Ha ha.

I have read bad reviews of the fireline crystal on tackletour but no one says what's wrong with it, only that they don't like it. I will have to get a spool and experiment. See if I can make it work differently. The best line I’ve used yet was the Maxim Chameleon, red. It's diameter is rather thick but it's a tough line I cannot refuse. Ha ha.

It goes unsaid but I believe to be true that line twist is not the result of the line but rather the angler. Like I said, I battle line twist daily, I will respool very often and just recently began a proactive approach to prevent it.

J
JAYDEE
I use a size 12 barrel swivel with 2 or 4lb leader on a 6lb mainline(when using 2lb i might downsize the swivel). Like I said when i use mono no line twists when i use braid i get them. Also i do believe that some lines are prone to line twists more so then others(like cheaper line bargain spools) without anglers error.

F
fishin_fool
I have had great results from Bagleys Silver thread it has done me well for years for both my spinning reels and baitcasters. I have not used any 2 lb test but the rest have been good to me.

F
FishSchooler
I wonder what kind of money one will make if they invent a clear braid... :shock:

F
FernRidgeChamp
FishSchooler said:
I wonder what kind of money one will make if they invent a clear braid... :shock:

Fireline Crystal from what I gather is the clearest available and is supposed to be very clear.

F
FishSchooler
I thought it's red:think:

F
FernRidgeChamp
T
Troutier Bassier
Theres Fireline thats White, and Fireline thats Yeller. As far as I know.

F
FernRidgeChamp
Troutier Bassier said:
Theres Fireline thats White, and Fireline thats Yeller. As far as I know.

I know of a green and alternating tracer pattern (appears black in pictures). Fireline smoke is gray colored hence the name. Fireline crystal is white and I believe there is yellow for the larger # tests. There is also a flame green and yellow/black but I'm not sure what they really look like. Just from the Berkleys website. There also may be a pink and the red. That was gathered from 5 seconds of google... Probably others as well :think:

H
hendrixfan
I have been using the Fireline crystal its a "translucent" white for my last few trips and have liked it so far. I am actually using the 10lb for river trout fishing with spinners as it allows me to not lose as much gear, and I really don't think the trout have cared. I have always used Maxima UG in 4 and 6lb in the past, and have it on my other spool. On a recent trip to a high lake I forgot my spool with the Maxima and despite super clear water(easily see the bottom and fish 15-20ft down) the rainbows still attacked my spinner very regularly. I will also quite often use a black #12 snap swivel with my spinners, I know direct tie is better, but while spending all day walking the river I get lazy! For bait I would probably still switch out to a lighter mono like UG but so far the Fireline has taken plenty of abuse and worked well for me.