2lb test reviews?

F
FernRidgeChamp
hendrixfan said:
I have been using the Fireline crystal its a "translucent" white for my last few trips and have liked it so far. I am actually using the 10lb for river trout fishing with spinners as it allows me to not lose as much gear, and I really don't think the trout have cared. I have always used Maxima UG in 4 and 6lb in the past, and have it on my other spool. On a recent trip to a high lake I forgot my spool with the Maxima and despite super clear water(easily see the bottom and fish 15-20ft down) the rainbows still attacked my spinner very regularly. I will also quite often use a black #12 snap swivel with my spinners, I know direct tie is better, but while spending all day walking the river I get lazy! For bait I would probably still switch out to a lighter mono like UG but so far the Fireline has taken plenty of abuse and worked well for me.

That’s awesome! You seem like you’re doing something right but I wonder what you could do with a stealthier set up. Ha ha. I feel you on not wanting to re-tie a lot, a good solution is using a barrel swivel then a good foot or two of leader than a fly-snap hook or no-knot fas-snap. You can pop them on and off, get better lure action than w/ a knot, it’s a smaller unit entirely, stealthier for sure, less line twist than a direct tie… I think I could go forever. Ha ha.
There are many benefits to using a snap swivel or fly-snap hook over a direct tie, rather it be to a leader or your main line. There are big disadvantages as well but that goes for everything IMO.
I only mention the fas-snaps and fly-snap hooks over the conventional snaps because they are smaller (well, fly-snaps are). You can still use the other locking type snaps with that set up FYI. Look for Mustad brand fly-snap hooks if you are interested in that. Otherwise thanks for sharing about the Fireline, it is good to know and helps me a lot!

F
FernRidgeChamp
steelheadstalker31 said:
I've use fireline crystal for the last 2 years on my steelhead rods with spinning reels and it works great. What I meant about the line is when you buy 2lb seagar you are getting a line with the diameter of 2lb, where if you buy maxima ug 2lb you are getting a line with 4lb diameter and thus the reason everyone thinks it is so strong. Just an example, I am not sure the exact diameter of Maxima compared to other lines, but it is thicker than most for the lb test rating. I have used the 2lb test, but not for steelhead. We have landed them on 4lb though. Before you pull the trigger on that Loomis I would look into having a custom rod built. You could get top end components on a custom rod for less than what you would pay for that Loomis. My 2 cents

Hey, not sure how I missed this. I'm going to get some Seaguar leader, I already have the Maxima UG and I did not know that. It does feel very strong. Actually the 2 lb test leader I felt was stronger than the 4 lb test I have on my line (it's P-Line).

Thanks!

H
hendrixfan
Thanks for the info on the fly snaps! I will have to get some and give it a try next time out. After doing a little reading the 2# Seaguar fluoro looks pretty good, I might have to get some for the next time I hit some high lakes.