25 Feb 12

E
everett464
Went out to Lake Creek today - started just below the Green Creek Boat Launch (saw some guy fishing the Launch itself - across from the Deadwood store - right in front of a big yellow sign saying the stream was closed).

Anywho... worked our way down the river, and nada. Throwing flies - egg patterns, comets, yellow, pink, peacock, drifted, swung... Nothing.

The water looked great, a teensy bit cloudy, but nice and green. I suppose the water may have been just a tad high.

brandon4455
brandon4455
it's nuts how most places are not blown even with this crazy weather we have been having.. fish or no fish a day on the water is always a good one!i know how you feel, been skunked several times this year. when the water is higher ive hooked most fish(and lost them all) on egg patterns that have more sparkle then an average one, like instead of regular chenille on a veiled caballero egg i love to use shrimp pink cactus chenille..really seems to get the fishes attention when the water is a solid awesome steelie green or just a tad off color.

troutdude
troutdude
everett464 said:
Went out to Lake Creek today - started just below the Green Creek Boat Launch (saw some guy fishing the Launch itself - across from the Deadwood store - right in front of a big yellow sign saying the stream was closed).

IDK why a sign would indicate a closure. Lake Creek IS open, even above Deadwood Creek--for clippers.

P
plumb2fish
The closure sign is there for SALMON....Lake Creek opens for steelhead on December 1st and closes March 31st.

C
cobias
everett464 said:

Anywho... worked our way down the river, and nada. Throwing flies - egg patterns, comets, yellow, pink, peacock, drifted, swung... Nothing.

The water looked great, a teensy bit cloudy, but nice and green. I suppose the water may have been just a tad high.

Good to see your out there throwin em buddy. Havent talked to you in a while. Maybe a float is in order when the mainstem drops. Let me know !

E
everett464
Fair Enough - It seemed pretty clear at the time, Something like "Attention Anglers: stream is closed to fishing." but it would make sense if its only salmon.

Coby: Indeed! We need to get out soon! Yesterday was my first cast since Betty was born in November! :shock:

Badfish
Badfish
I believe the sign has closure dates written on it. Most rivers have similar signs which have handwritten season dates on them. I think the confusion with Lake Creek, is the written regulations indicate Salmon season is open in the fall, however the special regulations that come out in the spring / summer indicate all Salmon angling is closed. If a person just read the printed regulations under Lake Creek, they might think it's open if they don't read the notice which advises to check for special regulations online.

C
ConcernedCitizen
Badfish said:
If a person just read the printed regulations under Lake Creek, they might think it's open if they don't read the notice which advises to check for special regulations online.

I've done that myself. Was planning to do some fishing at Green Creek last fall, and was wondering why nobody else was fishing. Decided to do a quick search online to double-check the regulations, and found at that Lake Creek was closed completely. I was pretty bummed out about it, but it was better than getting a ticket for not knowing...