2022 license

Casting Call
Casting Call
You all knew this topic was bound to come up. So, what is the cost (fishing only) for the full meal deal. I would like to read your take on "is it worth it to you" and electronic licenses including non-waterproof carry. Tony

C_Run
C_Run
How timely. I just got back from Bi Mart with all the licenses, tags, endorsements for me and my wife. I qualified for a Pioneer license this time around that includes hunting although I don't hunt. ( Could have gotten it last year but I didn't know.:mad: ) Anyway, $6 for the license and they give you the Columbia River endorsement and free parking at the state spots that require a permit. I wish I would have kept track of the breakdown but I did not. Mine was $94 and my wife's was $131.75 and each got shellfish and two-year waterway access as well. Is it worth it? I only kept three fish and some sand shrimp all of 2021 and my wife got several surf perch. Kind of expensive, I guess, but I don't have a lot of hobbies or travel a lot so I would say it's worth it to me. I do feel bad for some folks on a tight budget that have to skip fishing because of the costs of the licenses.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon, jamisonace and Casting Call
jamisonace
jamisonace
I agree with @C_Run It sucks that a lot of people are priced out. Is it worth it to me? Well I'm going to pay it so I guess so. Oregon does a terrible job managing our fishing resources yet has some of the highest license costs I've ever encountered. Every year there are less fish, more closures and reduced limits but every year you can count on the license price increasing.

Reactions: cchinook, troutdude, NKlamerus and 1 other person
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Well, Texas is far from perfect despite what most Texans will tell you, but they sure make an effort on freshwater fisheries management. (And road maintenance, but that’s another ball of wax.)

I don’t think I’ve kept a fish that came from a hatchery the entire time I’ve been out here, some bottom fish on charters, a few surf perch, a few trout. I resent paying for the license, but what can you do?

S
Snopro
Interesting. I see it differently. Totally worth it for entertainment value alone. If you factor in the retail cost of quality seafood the license pays for itself very quickly. The knowledge my food was handled and cared for properly is priceless.

Electronic license has been working great for me. I wish WA would offer the option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diehard, LazyBrewer and Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Ain’t nothing getting any cheaper, that’s for certain. 😬

jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
Well, Texas is far from perfect despite what most Texans will tell you, but they sure make an effort on freshwater fisheries management. (And road maintenance, but that’s another ball of wax.)

I don’t think I’ve kept a fish that came from a hatchery the entire time I’ve been out here, some bottom fish on charters, a few surf perch, a few trout. I resent paying for the license, but what can you do?

Yeah, I resent it too. Maybe if someone explained to me why the state has to charge me for the privilege to fish I might feel different.

Reactions: troutdude
S
Snopro
jamisonace said:
Maybe if someone explained to me why the state has to charge me for the privilege to fish I might feel different.
They need $$$ to raise all the put and take pellet heads people like to freezer burn and throw out. ;)

Does any state not charge for the privilege?

Reactions: cchinook and Shaun Solomon
jamisonace
jamisonace
Snopro said:
They need $$$ to raise all the put and take pellet heads people like to freezer burn and throw out. ;)

LOL.....So charge for hatchery harvest.

I doubt it but that isn't a justification.

I don't see a reason why a person should pay to go into any unimproved area to catch wild fish.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I went years in Colorado without buying a license. I was in my late teens and early twenties, they don’t stock bass and at that time I never fished for anything else, and never kept any. I had a nice little speech all prepared and ready, I never got to give it. Let me tell you what, I was fishing a LOT back then, like every day without ice. But I never got stopped, I guess because I never propped up a rod on a forked stick, never had pellet-eaters on a rope.

I haven’t been asked yet in Oregon either, but I still buy it. I’ll probably never “tag” anything because I have no idea how that chit works.

C_Run
C_Run
I am not going to lug my phone around in the field as I tend to get soaked and lose or break small things on a regular basis. I have been using these waterproof carriers for all the documents. They are intended for phones and are fairly inexpensive. I have been checked three times in the last ten years or so, so they stay in my vehicle or in my pocket and you can keep a ball point pen inside as well for those rare occasions when I actually tag a fish.

• P1060550.JPG
LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
Snopro said:
Interesting. I see it differently. Totally worth it for entertainment value alone. If you factor in the retail cost of quality seafood the license pays for itself very quickly. The knowledge my food was handled and cared for properly is priceless.

Electronic license has been working great for me. I wish WA would offer the option.
Agreed! For the hours I spend fishing every year, it's cheap entertainment.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Well! I want to thank all of you for your replies. Times being as hard as they are and me being an Angler Educator with ODFW. It has been difficult for some to afford the high fee's; I would like to sponsor someone for 2022. How does one go about doing so? Most vet's get special rates and old timers also, as an educator I would like to sponsor anyone under the age of 20 that can show me their catch tag of 2021 with at least four entries. PM me if you qualify. Tony

Reactions: shiverfix, NKlamerus, jamisonace and 4 others
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
^I like this dude. 😎

Reactions: Snopro
Casting Call
Casting Call
Lazy Brewer...I agree if you fish often.. Jamisonace...."unimproved area for wild fish" I guess that tribal is exempt from licensing but you, I and others have to pay for the privilege to have the state watch over us to see that any laws are not broken??? In my many years (77) I have learned that all the rules, reg's and laws that 95% of us law abiding peeps must live by, were made for 5% of the screw-ups. Thats the end of MY rant. Here's hoping that you all have a better year. I pray with-in myself for those thousands in Colorado who lost all their memories and what they have to do to recover. Tony

Reactions: LazyBrewer
troutdude
troutdude
Hey Tony, I'm looking to be adopted! ;-)

But seriously...that's a very kind gesture. You da man!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Sold to a A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N! OFFer went one of Pk's friends. Tony

Reactions: Troutski, Snopro, troutdude and 1 other person
Admin
Admin
Casting Call said:
he should post his happy face

Casting Call
Casting Call
I'll ask him to join the forum, but he doesn't speak English. Sold to American was a figure of speech. Tony

jamisonace
jamisonace
Casting Call said:
That's an awesome gesture.

Back to the discussion about license prices. I was watching a documentary last night on lobster fishing in New England. One comment that stuck out was that they keep the licensing prices high to keep license sales lower and help with species recovery. Not sure if the brain trust at ODFW keeps increasing prices for the same reason but it made me wonder.

• Haha