2015 bows

F
fishfry
Well I broke my previous October record landing 35 bows from 23-28". It was a great fall. River lvls stayed higher then I had expected and the weather cooperated for the most part. Absolutely my favorite month of the year, hands down.

Reactions: Irishrover
F
fishfry
Gotta figure out how to post pics again from my phone since everything changed on here.

Last edited:
F
fishfry
Heres a couple from Oct. Hopefully this works.

• IMG_20151024_154709.jpg
  • IMG_20151029_105144.jpg
  • _20151017_182144.jpg
F
fishfry
No these are not steelhead and the ones taken where it looks dark were caught before sundown.

F
fishfry
Check out the mouth and teeth on this bad bow. Wasn't my biggest of the year but had an impressive mouth and set of teeth on him.

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
Big3d
Wow man, nice pics. Fat bows.

S
sapo
Huge fish!! What River?
Do u keep those?

B
BaldTexan
Impressive catches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
fishfry
Sprague River Sapo. Yes I keep some to smoke and some to cook up for the family. There's a few older couples I take a few to each year also. I also let some go. The ones in the pictures were kept and eaten.

S
sapo
Dude I need to get down there!!! U fly fish?

F
fishfry
Yes sir. Love it. I do a bit of everything depending on the day. Big ones on the fly are my favorite though for sure.

S
sapo
Dude that's awesome I think I'm gonna go down to K Falls in the summer, hopefully I'll hook into some like those!! What patterns do u use?

F
fishfry
I personally use allot of leach, minnow and sculpin patterns. Spring and fall are the most productive times of year generally.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice post some great pictures too. I haven't fished it in a while but there are some monster fish in that river.

troutdude
troutdude
I've been wondering, where you have been. Now I know. You were out gettin' it done, as usual!

F
Fish
Those are great lookin' bows for sure. Way to be!

D
DrTheopolis
Those are ridiculous.

Without the pics, I'd have a hard time believing it.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Those are incredible! Please help a newbie to the steelhead country. You made the disclaimer, "these are not steelhead". They looked like giant bows to me, so how would one confuse it with a steelhead? I am under the impression, steelhead are effectively sea-run bows, is that correct? I have tried looking at pictures and some online research, Based on my findings, steelhead do not have the red/pink band running from head to tail. Thanks for any feedback.

F
fishfry
Hey fishnbuck. Yes steelhead are just sea run bows. I only put that disclaimer because I have had people jump on my case in previous years claiming I was keeping and not tagging far to many steelhead. Figured I'd get a jump on it this time and remove any confusion. In many other waters especially on the coast side any bow over 18 inches or so is considered a steelhead so make sure and read the regs for the specific water you are fishing. Hope this helped out some. Feel free and pm me with any questions.

Reactions: troutdude
Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Ok, thanks. I have seen in the regs that "size matters" depending on which body of water I am looking at. I hope the 2016 reg book is a simpler, and worded more clearly. I keep a copy with me whenever the boy and I go out, even after reviewing the night before. I hated CA mismanagement of wildlife, and lack of support for recreational fisherman and hunters (barely qualified as second class citizens) but as overreaching and restrictive as their rules were, they were clear and understandable. I am having a tough time knowing I am coloring within the lines since I moved up here.