2000 carp in 15 weeks

I
igquick
Obviously didn't take a picture of every fish so far in this little journey, but the average size is around 4 lbs

Last edited by a moderator:
C
CoastalMoe
Carp must fear you...

U
universalfishermatt
Very nice bounty!

E
eugene1
Sounds like a tall tale to me?

M
MikePierce170
^^^ :D

M
montym
That's like 20 carps per day man! Looks like your count is like your old weighing scale :) No offense meant.

Cheers
M

M
MikePierce170
Simple math. 2000 fish ÷ 15 weeks = 133.333 fish per week. Or roughly 20 fish per day as mentioned above. So maybe numbers aren't his strong suit. :lol:

I
igquick
Yes I have been fishing everyday/no life/slowly stopping, and 20 carp a day is still cake even with summer ending, other lakes open up as fall,starts...last time i went i caught 5 in less than an hour, but i was swimming in snags in which other fisherman have a hard time doing...carp fishing for me is like bluegill fishing

E
eugene1
Good stuff, ig.

congrats on the good carpin'!

Did you switch over to fly 100% now?

S
Stradic2000
Ok so let's say maybe I want to try fishing for crap, what rod& reel would you recommend?

I
igquick
Stradic2000 said:
Ok so let's say maybe I want to try fishing for crap, what rod& reel would you recommend?

Well if your fishing for crap, I highly suggest a toilet plunger from Home Depot

S
Stradic2000
Carp. What kind of rod n' reel are you using? 9-10ft pole with a baitrunner switch?

I
igquick
Stradic2000 said:
Carp. What kind of rod n' reel are you using? 9-10ft pole with a baitrunner switch?

I'll have ur answer later because I'm at work

I
igquick
Stradic2000 said:

Right now I am using a normal 6 foot pole with a fly reel. Leader is 12 lb test, and the pole isn't a fly pole, it's a normal pole; so kind of like a spey rod?

I just made this setup before my work because the rod I was using before was a 5 foot zebco that was really bendy and strong like an ugly stick. Honestly I really want to use the longest Ugly Stick I could find. Like a 9 footer would be perfect.

I've used baitrunners before with success but with failures included. I've used cheap baitrunners that I bought at local stores like Fredy Meyers or Wal Mart, but what I really HATE about them is that they are basically in free spool when you turn the clicker on. Now you could use a "fixed rig system" but I've always felt more comfortable using a running rig because my catch rates were better, and I would assume if the weight in a "fixed rig system" were ever tangled on a snag, then your in a really really bad situation to break your line. Unlike European waters, we have no idea where and what kind of snags we have in the water we fish in. So I try to use a running rig whenever possible. I was using a baitrunner with a clicker once, and the fish ran immediately to a snag and it was over in a few seconds.

I like to use the running rig because the carp doesn't feel the weight, and I have my rod propped up and secure so once the fish takes the bait, the rod basically sets the hook for you; and I have the line loose enough where you can pull out line from your reel but also strong enough to give some tension.

One major downfall I had with the running rig is bullhead would almost always swallow the whole entire hair rig, and it's over. So when that happens or if I'm in a waterway where I know the catfish are biting, I have to use a "fixed system" so the catfish feels the weight after the bite, then runs and spits the hair rig out at the same time, but as you maybe already know, most fish can't spit out a hair rig and it gets caught on their mouth. By all means though, my hair rigs with a running or a "fixed system" ain't perfect, because I have yet to catch a grass carp with one since their mouth is bony unlike a common carp.

I've been stuck on using a fly reel for carp since the beginning of summer and it's probably not going to end for a very long long time. Although I miss still fishing, I feel more accurate running around, chasing, stalking, and playing hide and go seek with the carp. I feel that you cover more water that way.