1st time at Cedar

F
fishdog
So I thought I would try out Cedar Creek after catching only 1 good size steel near dodge. I hiked to the mouth of Cedar and then down past the bend to some nice looking holes that were FULL of fish. I pulled nearly a dozen little 7 - 10-inchers out before giving up on anything decent.

My question is: Do these holes full of baby fish ever hold anything decent? I am thinking the Cedar hatchery had just released these and I found the spot they were all hanging out. Seems like there should have been some bigger fish in that area!

CIMG5598.jpg

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah those are smolts.... heading out to the ocean, any area you are catching a lot of those you should avoid

R
rippin fish lips
Smolts smolts smolts! ODFW is now planting smolts in a lot of the river systems around here. If in doubt, throw it back! If you keep catchin smolts, move higher or lower and you will find some bows/cuts/ or a susprise steely!! And to answer your question about (babys bein in the hole) Yes if a baby fish can hold in a hole, you bet-ya a bigger fish can to!! If you catch a bunch of smolts in a hole or 2... your best bet is to let it be until they are gone!

T
troutmaster101
fishdog said:
So I thought I would try out Cedar Creek after catching only 1 good size steel near dodge. I hiked to the mouth of Cedar and then down past the bend to some nice looking holes that were FULL of fish. I pulled nearly a dozen little 7 - 10-inchers out before giving up on anything decent.

My question is: Do these holes full of baby fish ever hold anything decent? I am thinking the Cedar hatchery had just released these and I found the spot they were all hanging out. Seems like there should have been some bigger fish in that area!

nice fishdog! i havent had time to get to a fishing hole soon though. been adjusting to life. hope to see you out there. :)

F
fishdog
Too bad everything is washed out right now, i'm sure you are itching to go troutmaster! I'm thinking its time for a stocked mountain lake!

T
troutmaster101
im thinking your right! got doctors today! soon i will be able to get out! this weekend! then next wensday i have fishing time:) i picked up a pixee and a pink blue fox. lines tight:)

N
nw5785
Where is this place?

O
OnTheFly
nw5785 said:
Where is this place?
Turn left on Ten Eyck Rd at the east end of Sandy. Just after the hair pin turn, look for Fish Hatchery Rd and make another left. Drive down and park at the hatchery and follow the trail down. Fishing in the creek itself is off limits so stay on the Sandy. I don't know if there is a way to access the opposite bank from the other side but I have been able to cross the river during the Coho run in late September or early October from the hatchery side when the water was low. If you can find a way I think it might be a good area for steelhead. I cannot convey the need for caution better if you decide to ford the river there. Crossing the Sandy on foot during winter flows is impossible and/or foolish. There is a pool just down stream from the creek where people fish that resembles combat fishing on the Kenai but coho will be thick throughout the system at that time. Another good place to fish is the Revenue Bridge area a little further down past the Fish Hatchery Rd turn off.

Last edited: