Bullhead catfish

I
Ifishforfood
does anybody have any idea when the bullhead catfish will be biting again? i did a lot of it over the summer and just recently fried up some of their fillets. very good! i know they spawn in spring< and many northern lakes catch them as soon as the ice is off the lakes. the columbia never freezes over, so im not sure when to start. march? april? may? thanks

F
fish4life
caught a little catfish at Walter Wirth lake last weekend, but looked like a small channel cat to me, not sure. Maybe they will bite all year long just not as much.

C
chrisohm
Walter Wirth has tons of little bullheads. Channels are silver or grey. They will bite for most of the year but get preoccupied with their spawning. Like most catfish they go for a spot that has some good cover, submerged structures or fallen trees. Rocky outcroppings as well. They just hold tight to those spots. Always target those areas first, then hit up deeper, slow pools. The largest bullhead and channel I have seen came from the Willy. Do some searches through the forum. You will find some good reading in there!!

C
catfishman89
I have caught them fishing deep in the multnomah channel in december. Its easier to catch them in winter when the waters clear.

I
Ifishforfood
hmmm.... still wondering if they are active right now in the columbia. the only time i ever catch them is at night, so maybe i will try that. anybody else have any info?

F
fishOregon
So do they hit well right now in the willy ?

F
FishNinja
fishOregon said:

You can catch them year round but I would highly caution eating them out of either the Columbia or Willamette!

C
chrisohm
fishOregon said:

Depends on the spot you are in but yes. Chicken livers (fresh/frozen/rotten), gobs of worms, shrimp/craws or pieces of fish. Near Molalla River State park is where I have caught the most bullheads. Down river by the islands of 99E you will find more channels. I would caution eating any bottom feeders for a while since the floods were not very long ago. Depends on where if any sewage spills were. Just clean them properly and cut off all the fat. Pay attention to where you are fishing on the Columbia since most areas around Portland are very nasty. There was a recent article in the Oregonian about pollution levels in the Willy around Portland. Above the falls you don't have as much concentrated industrial runoff.

F
fishOregon
So what time is best for bullhead and dose stink bait work ??

T
tomriker
but the "industrial runoff" is what makes them big right?!:think::think:

C
chrisohm
tomriker said:
but the "industrial runoff" is what makes them big right?!:think::think:

Oh yeah baby!!Big fat and...uh...no thanks. I would rather fish for them in cleaner water before I eat one. My cousin caught a couple channels, cleaned them and ate them that he caught from the dirty Willamette. The smell when he cleaned them almost made me puke. Smelled worse than a bluegill...or his nasty shoes.

I
Ifishforfood
i read a pamphlet on the warmwater game fish in oregon< and it said that bullheads start biting from the first warm days of august through october. is this true? we have already had plenty of warm days this month...

I
Ifishforfood
anybody caught any yet?

I
Ifishforfood
well i found a spot where i caught 70 bullheads in 2 days. answered my own question.

F
fishtales
Had a bull head break my poll tip years ago. It was the biggest mudcat i ever caught. Funny thing was we where in an old wood boat and the lost it under the floor boads. guess it was no that big.

I
Ifishforfood
thats crazy. them bullheads have a way of fighting unlike other fish

F
fishOregon
Care to share your location. Ive benn really wanting to fish for bullhead (or well any catfish in gen ) . Feel free to message me location if you dont want everyone to know . If not no worries I understand