No announcement yet.

Best winter baits?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best winter baits?

The cold weather makes for tough fishing. This is what works for me! Hopefully it can help you too!!

I'm not a bass fisherman but should be after seeing some monsters at Wickip a couple of yrs ago, my question is I was watching west coast bass fishing at Shasta lake and one of the guys was using a bobber and jig . Is this something new ? I've never seen that on any other shows.

Comment

Originally posted by 4labs View Post
      I'm not a bass fisherman but should be after seeing some monsters at Wickip a couple of yrs ago, my question is I was watching west coast bass fishing at Shasta lake and one of the guys was using a bobber and jig . Is this something new ? I've never seen that on any other shows.
      I'm no expert on bass either but I did try a pink worm under a float one and it worked fine for smallmouth.

Comment

I have never heard of someone using a bobber with a jig but itís very possible people are consistently coming up with new fishing tactics for these bass! You should definitely get into bass fishing. I think pound for pound small mouth bass fight like champs!! Give it a shot with some of my tips and have some fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartankidfishing View Post
          I think pound for pound small mouth bass fight like champs!!
          True dat! And bucketmouths, are no slouches either.

Comment

I love going to the Umpqua in the summer and fishing for smallies, they are a blast! Easy to catch and they do fight like champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartankidfishing View Post
              I think pound for pound small mouth bass fight like champs!
              You are right. Pound for pound, the smallmouth bass is the hardest fighting freshwater fish. However, there is a report i read somewhere that a bluegill may actually be the hardest fighting freshwater fish pound for pound.

Comment

Originally posted by colt View Post
                However, there is a report i read somewhere that a bluegill may actually be the hardest fighting freshwater fish pound for pound.
                Ha ha. I've actually gotten some 'gills, on my hollow S-glass 5' ultralight Lamiglas rod. Which is FUN! I've also battled some 17-18" trout, on it too. Talk about a BEND, in the blank!!!

Comment

not new, the float n' fly is popular in states like Tennessee for winter smallmouth.

For me, the best bait is definitely a blade bait when the water is in the 30's and low 40s.

Comment

MIght keep a sinking jig at the depth the fish are at? then drift through?

Comment

Originally posted by tbrinks View Post

not new, the float n' fly is popular in states like Tennessee for winter smallmouth.
                      A Southerner tried his bass fishing technique of bobber and jig on the Clackamas for the heck of it for steelhead about 30 years ago, give or take... the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                      X