Trout food

A
Arlen
Waco, your bug is a net-winged midge larva. One of the strangest bugs around here, in my humble opinion.

Here's a larger in-water picture that I took a few years ago.

original.jpg

W
waco
Oh yeah thats the same bug!

D
desertbull
Just got home from the Res, my guess was Daphnia, aka-"Water Fleas"...nise specimen Sinkline!

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice pic arlen those are some weird bugs!!

A
Arlen
Definitely weird. I had never heard of them until I went looking for them for a project. As closely related as they are to "standard" midges (chironomids), you would think the larvae would be similar. But the difference is like night and day.

brandon4455
brandon4455
might have to try an imitation sometime,probably not easy and very small but looks like trout food to me! except on the McKenzie... the fish in that river pay no attention whatsoever to midges.

W
waco
What about this bug!? Would a trout eat it? I don't think would be too hard to tie!! :think:
IMG590.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
yes, some trout do eat craneflies, and their larva i believe

A
Arlen
It's a crane fly. Some of them are aquatic, but that one is not. It's larvae burrow into the ground and damage lawns.

Fish will eat both the larvae and the adults of the aquatic type, which are much smaller than the one in your hand. Try skating an adult imitation across the water at dusk during the summer.

Reactions: FlyBum
W
waco
And this one?
IMG600.jpg

S
steelhead1
Looks like a salmon fly

brandon4455
brandon4455
that is a salmonfly..where did you see that at?

V
Van
Im guessing he was looking at his flies and fishing pics in the pictures folder on his pc. lol

W
waco
Nope that was yesterday!

S
steelhead_slayer
Wow! Early one

brandon4455
brandon4455
very early.. hatch may be early this year? or just a retard salmnofly?

E
eggs
We saw a a good amount of those this weekend flybum ... we were wondering what type of yellow bellied stone fly we were hanging out with!

A
Arlen
FlyBum said:
Yellow Sally????
(Where's our resident bug geek to verify?)

He's probably off playing with spiders somewhere. ;)

But if you were to think, oh, say "Skwala", you might just be on the right track.

F
FlyBum
Arlen said:
He's probably off playing with spiders somewhere. ;)

But if you were to think, oh, say "Skwala", you might just be on the right track.

I was thinking that too, but on the lower D?? Ya, most likely.....

A
Arlen
They're in most Oregon--and Northwest, for that matter--rivers, but don't get much press except where they are very abundant. And you wouldn't really be wrong to call them a "Yellow Sally" or "Little Yellow Stonefly", which are catch-all terms for a group of stoneflies that are small-to-medium, and, well, yellow(ish). But Skwalas have enough of a reputation that calling them by their specific name is a bit more informative, I think.