Trout in Benton county area

F
Fishdontbitemylure
Anyone know a good place for trout near to Corvallis/Benton county area? I heard the Mary’s river has trout, but I only pull small mouth out of that river. I’d love to fish for cutthroat or rainbow but can’t find anywhere besides the muddy pond up near EE Wilson to do so and that’s just stocked small trout
Any advice on location or setup for better trout?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. I grew up close to the Mary's River, and walked a good deal of it's banks as a kid. I can confirm that there are trout in it. That stream, and Greasy Creek that flows into it, south of Philomath, are good bets. At least they are the closest trout opportunities.

Park at the bridge by the Grange Hall, on Grange Hall Road, south of Philomath. From their you can work your way down Greasy Creek, a short way, to the Mary's. Then explore the Mary's from their. You can also work your way up Greasy Creek from that same bridge. It's going to be ultra low water, so "stealth mode" is the secret. But there are some 16-18" fish in there; but they spook easily.

There is also a pond out by Fort Hoskins that should have some cutties. But it's a bit sketchy so be on your guard. Packin' a side arm wouldn't hurt. 10-4?

Somewhat further away are the Alsea and Siletz Rivers. They will have some SRC's throughout each stream at this point in the seasons.

Good luck, tight lines, and let us know how you do.

Reactions: ssom2
Rogersjd
Rogersjd
I will be fishing the upper Alsea later this afternoon. Will let you know how it goes!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Just remembered that there are cutties in the Long Tom River too; south of Corvallis.

The Willy, up around Harrisburg, has trout as well. But, IMO, I wouldn't eat ANY resident fish from the Willy. Way too many pollutants IMO.

F
Fishdontbitemylure
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF. I grew up close to the Mary's River, and walked a good deal of it's banks as a kid. I can confirm that there are trout in it. That stream, and Greasy Creek that flows into it, south of Philomath, are good bets. At least they are the closest trout opportunities.

Park at the bridge by the Grange Hall, on Grange Hall Road, south of Philomath. From their you can work your way down Greasy Creek, a short way, to the Mary's. Then explore the Mary's from their. You can also work your way up Greasy Creek from that same bridge. It's going to be ultra low water, so "stealth mode" is the secret. But there are some 16-18" fish in there; but they spook easily.

There is also a pond out by Fort Hoskins that should have some cutties. But it's a bit sketchy so be on your guard. Packin' a side arm wouldn't hurt. 10-4?

Somewhat further away are the Alsea and Siletz Rivers. They will have some SRC's throughout each stream at this point in the seasons.

Good luck, tight lines, and let us know how you do.
Thanks I’ll try out some of those spots next time I make it out fishing!

F
Fishdontbitemylure
Made it out to the Mary’s this weekend threw a rooster tail for an hour or so, still no trout but caught something I didn’t recognize, any idea what it is? Built different from a pikeminnow, hit the lure in about 12-15 inches of water

• 2EEF9393-49CC-4202-B9D6-84A6EE07858C.jpeg
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the report. That looks like a standard Pike Minnow to me.

Reactions: Fishdontbitemylure
F
Fishdontbitemylure
troutdude said:
Thanks for the report. That looks like a standard Pike Minnow to me.
Yeah probably is I just never caught one with clean colors out of that spot, they also are usually nice and fat there, this guy was a little bony

F
Fishdontbitemylure
Finally got a trout in corvo, nice little 13 incher, I don’t think they stock the area so I’m guessing it’s wild but could be wrong
7EE79FEC-A413-4115-B0EE-205433417925.jpeg

troutdude
troutdude
Good job! There seems to be an adipose fin on that one. If the adipose hasn't been clipped--to indicate a hatchery reared fish--then it's a native and/or naturalized one. I'm not sure if it's legal to retain or not. I'd have too know which stretch, of the stream, and look it up in the reg's. And I know of no stocking spots on the Willy.

Reactions: Fishdontbitemylure