Sinkline
Trout food

Last edited:
A
alm21
Mysis diluviana, aka opossum shrimp

E
eugene1
Very cool, waiting for the answer sinkline!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Decapoda ..................As you can tell......................I cheated ...............................:naughty:

But, I also fed those Krill to my Reef tank fish...............................Hope you had a great time on the water!!!!

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Ferry Shrimp?? They're real, but I know not the correct answer. :)

Chromatose
Chromatose
Diatoms

Final Answer.....................
:lol: ............................... Your making me have to think and seems to be hurting.

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
I fish the same lake as you do. Interesting was when I cut open a nice 20'' trout, it was FULL and I mean FULL of salmon Eggs. Not trout eggs but Salmon Eggs.What had me a bit confused is that it was March and this fish also had a Sculpin prob 3" in size inside as well. Very interesting stuff you're posting.

L
lilsalmon
Nice pics, Randy. How are you making them throw up? :lol: JK....The 17 incher is a beautiful fish...good job once again.

F
FlyBum
These are some of my favorite trout's food :)

S
steelhead_slayer
FlyBum said:
These are some of my favorite trout's food :)

i have been thinking about that hatch daily as it is getting closer and closer

brandon4455
brandon4455
never saw this thread.. when you said started wit a d i would have guessed daphnia right away.. ibe been told they are impossible to imitate.. (i can see why) have you ever tried imitating them randy?

brandon4455
brandon4455
:lol: yeah those things look way hard to imitate.. i heard people just strip small flashy streamers trough the daphnia the fish are feeding on..but who knows..maybe there is someone out there that ties a daphnia fly on a size 18-20 hook :lol:

F
FlyBum
October Caddis

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Blue Winged Olive

F
FlyBum
Mantis (they eat these too on some rivers in MT)

HPIM1136.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
ill make sure to add more in late april-mid may when i start getting out a lot

O
OnTheFly
April at Harreit Lake. Pale evening dun. It's what's for dinner.:D

100_1033.jpg

F
fish_4_all
I tied some of those Daphne when I first got my tying stuff some years ago. Had to use a huge magnifying glass and human hair to keep them small enough. Never did fish them because without the magnifying glass I couldn't see the eyes in the size 26 or 28 hooks. Size 16 is about as small as I go now with my fumbly fingers and just not wanting to mess with anything much smaller.

Gotta find out about doing that pump thing. I saw them online a while back and they had some sort of soft bulb on the end to protect the stomach. Don't know if it is needed but with my clumsy self can't hurt. The hatch around here is so sporadic finding out if they are eating black gnats, Caddis or something else should improve my fly fishing success a lot.

W
waco
I don't know what kind of bug is this, I don't even know if trout would eat it!!! Some how it got hooked in my fly!!
IMG579.jpg
This is a pic of the underneath you can see some black dots in the middle!! funny thing was, that with those black dots that bug was stuck to my finger!!
IMG580.jpg

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
It looks like an aquatic Isopod. Have seen a lot of brackish ones on the rocks around here at night coming out the water, I assume to feed. I would bet trout feed on them and could be a food they target at dusk and dawn when they start moving to shallow water, if they do. Either way trout likely feed on them at some time or another. Looks like the alder pine cones that I find in a lot of trout locally.