Spring Chinook Fishing Mckenzie River

F
fugitivefisherman
Hey all,

I live in the Eugene area and have recently gotten super into Steelhead and Salmon fishing. Unfortunately I struck out with the steelhead on the Siuslaw this season, but I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Spring Chinook season I've heard so much about. I am relatively new to the area so I'm not really sure where the best spots are to target these fish, but I don't have a boat and will most likely be bank fishing.

I've heard positive things about the upper Mckenzie River for salmon, although I've struggled finding much info about it online. If anyone has any suggestions, holes, or gear recommendations it'd be much appreciated! Also, if there's better spots within 1ish hours of Eugene I am totally open to that too. Have had an absolute blast with the trout on the Mckenzie but I'm getting the itch for a fight (and some food)!

Again, if anyone has any recommendations pertaining to anything Spring salmon fishing it would mean a lot!

Thank you :)

Reactions: beavis
F
fugitivefisherman
Thanks troutdude,

Spent some time looking through them but couldn't find anything super conclusive, aside from maybe below the Leaburg Dam starting in late May? It was helpful in deciding which gear and setups to use though. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but could hardly find anything.

On another note, does anyone have any good recommendations for April fishing near Eugene? Seems like the winter steelhead season will be over (closed on the Siuslaw March 31st), Salmon aren't in the area yet, and trout fishing is still closed. Not much of a bass fisherman honestly either. I'm willing to drive relatively far if it means good fishing! Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

If you'd like to chase some trout in the 16 - 19" class...Dexter was stocked with 3K last week. I've seen it stocked at the boat launch. As well as dropped into the drink where the water flows under the road, that crosses the lake. OFF of that bridge.

F
fugitivefisherman
Appreciate you troutdude. Will definitely be heading up there soon!

Reactions: troutdude
A
allforthefish
There's Walleye if you know we're to look. You only fish alone? Ever done any jetty fishing?

• IMG20240128190925.jpg
A
allforthefish
I will be chasing the springers close to Springfield soon. Also some summer steelhead soon too. Message me if you would like.

Reactions: fugitivefisherman and troutdude
A
allforthefish
troutdude said:
I would LOVE to learn how/where to catch Walleye's. Are they good eating?
Honestly I like them more than the rockfish I get at the coast. These ones I got in the river while bank fishing small jigs. You absolutely have to be on or near the bottom. I loose a lot of gear but have had good success. Harvested about a dozen since Christmas. All near Springfield. Message me for more specific details if you would like.

C
cchinook
fugitivefisherman said:
Hey all,

I live in the Eugene area and have recently gotten super into Steelhead and Salmon fishing. Unfortunately I struck out with the steelhead on the Siuslaw this season, but I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Spring Chinook season I've heard so much about. I am relatively new to the area so I'm not really sure where the best spots are to target these fish, but I don't have a boat and will most likely be bank fishing.

I've heard positive things about the upper Mckenzie River for salmon, although I've struggled finding much info about it online. If anyone has any suggestions, holes, or gear recommendations it'd be much appreciated! Also, if there's better spots within 1ish hours of Eugene I am totally open to that too. Have had an absolute blast with the trout on the Mckenzie but I'm getting the itch for a fight (and some food)!

Again, if anyone has any recommendations pertaining to anything Spring salmon fishing it would mean a lot!

Thank you :)
I need to be honest with you. Springer fishing in that part of the valley is not very good. All the action is near Portland. Sandy , Clackamas , Columbia . Much brighter fish.