Tic toc - Hagg opens next Saturday!

troutdude
troutdude
The season opens at Henry Hagg Lake, next Saturday, March 2nd. Is anyone else excited? Is anyone else going? It'll only be my 4th trip; but I am STOKED!

If any OFFers are going to be out trolling--and have an open seat--I'd love to join ya! I've got lots of trolling gear, and am very willing to share. The fish will be in the top 10' of water, so flat lining my trolling gear is my preferred method. Plus, I know a few early season hot spots!

For any newbies; here is a helpful map:

hagg map.jpg

For bass peeps, here is another map:

Hagg Lake Map.jpg

By the way, if anyone has any other maps, articles, etc. to share...please post them. I'm especially interested, in finding a copy of the "old school" Luhr Jensen Tech Report (for Hagg)! Please let me know, if you have that--or can post it! I used to have it. But, since Rapala bought out Luhr Jensen they have disappeared from the market.

Reactions: billfisher
T
TimberTodd
I am undecided. Opening weekend is such a zoo. If I go I will be in my Nucanoe so give me a wave if you see me troutdude.

J
jabs67
I'v never fished there before. I'm really wanting to hit it. Might have to check it out. Thanks for the map troutdude!!! :cool:

M
MattZ
may or may not hit the opener. mnost likely will wait til monday. theres about to be more fresh steelie to catch...

but if im there, ill be in my float tube hunting on the surface... anyone been out there yet to check it out? they rising?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll wait till after the week-end. The tug is the drug

M
mjbeam
I'm planning on being out on the lake but I don't know if I'll be fishing or not. I just bought a Hobie Outback kayak that I haven't had on the water yet. I have a feeling it's going to be a zoo so I'll may just work on getting used to the boat and the other gear. Hope everyone has a great time though.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
I'll be trolling for trout in my Nucanoe the Monday after it opens. Hopefully some of the holdovers will be FATTY-bo-batty! Bringing the new fish finder to try and figure out how to work it before bass season heats up. Hoping to locate smallies with it and drop shot them in april/may/june.

Hey Troutdude, I thought you had a boat (or toon)?

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
I'll be trolling for trout in my Nucanoe the Monday after it opens. Hopefully some of the holdovers will be FATTY-bo-batty! Bringing the new fish finder to try and figure out how to work it before bass season heats up. Hoping to locate smallies with it and drop shot them in april/may/june.

Hey Troutdude, I thought you had a boat (or toon)?

troutdude
troutdude
T. Todd; if I spot you...I'll certainly wave at ya.

BTW, I forgot to mention to anyone who may have an OPEN SEAT...I'm a early riser. I'll be happy to meet you, at 5:30, at whatever ramp you choose (I suggest C). That way, we can hopefully have our lines the drink at First Legal light (5:50).

BTW, the weather forecasting a morning low of 36, with a high of 56 and partly cloudy. Sunday, it'll be a whopping 63!!! I may just have to make, a return trip double whammy!

Nope GJWI; I am relegated to bank maggot...or float tube (which I may take).

So, if see a "dude" sporting an OSU baseball cap w/ an ORANGE bill...that's me. If you see me, don't hesitate to say hello.

T
TimberTodd
mjbeam welcome to OFF. If you going to put the new toy in the water, you should take along a rod. 63 degrees on Sunday should definitley bring the zoo to town:lol:

H
hvacr1
It seems the bank anglers do much better at the beginning of the season and boats do a lot better in april and on when the water warms a bit just my 2 cents. But I will be bringing my boat just to make sure I have some elbow room.

M
Moe
I may head out there weather permitting. Gotta catch the bus from Beaverton to Forest Grove then an 8-mile bike ride with all my gear don't sound too fun in the rain!

J
jfilipanko
Thanks for sharing the great maps. I am very new to fishing, what is the best way to fish for trout on the bank?

Thanks

Joe

troutdude
troutdude
Joe,

Welcome to OFF.

I'll send you a PM, so we don't hijack this thread.

R
rainORsnow1
I'm gonna be there! But I've seen the zoo before. Looks like springer fishing at the end of march. Shoot.... I'm gonna have to be at the gate that early too. Anybody know if they open the gates at first light or legal fishing hours?

bass
bass
Thanks for the maps TD! Those are nice. I have the Luhr Jensen one, but I had not seen the ones you posted.

Personally, I will wait and fish Hagg later in the year. I figure there must be a lull between the last stocking and the start of zillions of water skiers.

troutdude
troutdude
rainORsnow1 said:
I'm gonna be there! But I've seen the zoo before. Looks like springer fishing at the end of march. Shoot.... I'm gonna have to be at the gate that early too. Anybody know if they open the gates at first light or legal fishing hours?

I was there last year; and was the 2nd car into the parking lot at Ramp A. It was plenty early enough, to get my lines into the water at first legal light (hour before sunrise). But, you could always call / email Washington County Parks & Rec for more information.

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
Thanks for the maps TD! Those are nice. I have the Luhr Jensen one, but I had not seen the ones you posted.

You're very welcome.

Do you have an electronic version, of the Luhr Jenson Tech Report? If so, can you post it on here--or send it via PM? I used to have it bookmarked. But, Rapala has removed all of those great tech reports from the net.

B
Born2Fish55
I will be out there too... in my black 'fish-getter' canoe!