Hagg lake, 26 April 2015

bass
bass
I went to Hagg on Sunday and was on the water for almost 10 hours. I ended up C&Ring 24 trout and one largemouth bass.

22 of the trout came from trolling a 1/24oz roostertail and 1/2 a nightcrawler with a 1/8oz sinker on a dropper. Same rig as last week and I kept the lures 30' back same as last week. I hooked up a couple of doubles and did finally manage to land a double :) Even with a trailer hook I probably only hook one out of every 2 to 3 bites. All the trout were between 10 and 13", nothing bigger.

P4260647%20Small_zpss2cxyt4n.jpg

P4260648%20Small_zpsfciq4xta.jpg

Cool thing is that I caught a tagged trout. The have an orange spaghetti tag on their back. I snipped off the tag and released the fish. Yesterday I called the number on the tag and the biologist said they are using the information to figure out when is the best times to stock Hagg. The fish I caught had been in the lake for a bit over a month. It looked really healthy so I guess they figure out what to feed on pretty quickly.

When I called we also chatted about if Hagg could open up year round. He said the main issue is that the agreement to close the lake to fishing in the winter was a cross agency agreement between the ODFW, Army Corps of Engineers and maybe others. The lake bed used to be an Elk wintering ground. Inundating the lake obviously reduced the available land. The compromise that was made when the lake was formed was to close the lake to fishing in the winter to give relief to elk that want to winter near the lake. He said that this decision may be reversed, but that getting approval across all the agencies is not a fast process :)

The bass fishing was a little tough for me. The water temp was about 5 degrees cooler than last week (55 vs 60). I tried hard for 2 hours and only managed one largemouth. I started out throwing a crankbait but after catching 2 trout on it and getting lots of follows and missed strikes from trout I switched to throwing soft plastic since I did want to catch a bass. The bass I did catch came on the soft plastic. He was the only bite that I had. Here is a picture of the little guy.

P4260649%20Small_zpsshpskeis.jpg

I definitely do not have that lake figured out for bass yet. Definitely a goal for me this year. The fish I did catch was quite shallow, but perhaps with the cooling water I should have fished a bit deeper.

Interesting note about the trout on the crankbait. I was fishing it with a stop, go and twitch retrieve. They seemed to like the vibration. I have tried trolling mini crankbaits in the past for trout but almost never hook a fish. I had been trolling the crankbaits at 1mph (the speed I like for spinners). I think I need to troll the crankbaits a bit faster to get them really thumping. I will give that a try next time.

Did anyone else make it out to Hagg

B
BaldTexan
When the water is bit cooler, try fishing shallow structure near sunny banks. They will feed in that warm sunny shallow water. I marked what I assume were bass on points off of creek arms a couple of weeks ago but didn't have my bass gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bass
bass
BaldTexan said:
When the water is bit cooler, try fishing shallow structure near sunny banks. They will feed in that warm sunny shallow water. I marked what I assume were bass on points off of creek arms a couple of weeks ago but didn't have my bass gear.

Thanks, I definitely agree with what you are saying, unfortunately it was cloudy and drizzly on Sunday there were no sunny banks :)

I was fishing back in Tanner creek arm but perhaps the fish were not back there in mass yet. I was probably rushing things a bit - especially with the drop in water temp. When I caught that one bass I was hoping that I was on to something. Next time I will give myself more time for the bass so that I can try a handful of patterns. Kind of felt like I had to pick something and stick with it on Sunday.

B
BaldTexan
I hope to get out there soon and ambush some of those bucket mouths. Give up on sturgeon wrestling for awhile?

PK Yi
PK Yi
nice report. those are beautiful looking fish, just healthy.

bass
bass
BaldTexan said:
I hope to get out there soon and ambush some of those bucket mouths. Give up on sturgeon wrestling for awhile?

I had been sturgeon fishing all winter. It is fun to get a change of pace for sure. Plus, my son often comes with me to Hagg so I like to keep my finger on the pulse of that fishery as the water warms.

bass
bass
sammy said:
nice report. those are beautiful looking fish, just healthy.

Thanks sammy, no awesome video though :) The fish do seem to be in incredibly good shape.

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
When I called we also chatted about if Hagg could open up year round. He said the main issue is that the agreement to close the lake to fishing in the winter was a cross agency agreement between the ODFW, Army Corps of Engineers and maybe others. The lake bed used to be an Elk wintering ground. Inundating the lake obviously reduced the available land. The compromise that was made when the lake was formed was to close the lake to fishing in the winter to give relief to elk that want to winter near the lake. He said that this decision may be reversed, but that getting approval across all the agencies is not a fast process :)

Looks like you had another nice trip. Thanks for sharing about the "year round" camping thing. Maybe we all need to ban together, break out some cattle prods, and get to work relocating that herd? <just kidding>

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Looks like you had another nice trip. Thanks for sharing about the "year round" camping thing. Maybe we all need to ban together, break out some cattle prods, and get to work relocating that herd? <just kidding>

Definitely another fun day at Hagg, what an awesome lake.

The biologist sounded like folks at ODFW were generally amenable to opening the lake to year round fishing, but that the inter agency paperwork would take a long time to push through. It is probably very difficult to find the correct person to get the ball rolling in a different agency.

B
Berg03
oh you have the green kayak? I saw you out there, I was on the bank by boat ramp C. I was only after bass though. Caught a few 2+lb small mouths. I went out today as well (this time in my toon) and caught 4 smallies and 1 tagged trout.

bass
bass
Berg03 said:
oh you have the green kayak? I saw you out there, I was on the bank by boat ramp C. I was only after bass though. Caught a few 2+lb small mouths. I went out today as well (this time in my toon) and caught 4 smallies and 1 tagged trout.

Yes. I was out in my bright green Nucanoe kayak with a trolling motor (I also have a yellow Hobie pedal drive kayak). What time were you there?

Awesome job on the smallies! What did you catch them on and what time of day? I think I might have been fishing too far back into the cove.

Thanks for any info!

T
TimberTodd
Great report as always Bass. I am hoping to hit Hagg next Tuesday. Other than a fast bank trip last year I haven't fished it since selling my Nucanoe a few years ago. I picked up a 12' Lavro drifter in Jan. and equipped it with a 50lb. thrust Minkota. This will be the 3rd time out with it. I am planning on targeting smallies using senkos wacky rigged and dropshotting roboworms. Of course the fly rods will also be present.

bass
bass
TimberTodd said:
Great report as always Bass. I am hoping to hit Hagg next Tuesday. Other than a fast bank trip last year I haven't fished it since selling my Nucanoe a few years ago. I picked up a 12' Lavro drifter in Jan. and equipped it with a 50lb. thrust Minkota. This will be the 3rd time out with it. I am planning on targeting smallies using senkos wacky rigged and dropshotting roboworms. Of course the fly rods will also be present.

Next time out I think my main search bait will be a carolina rigged senko or dead ringer. That is a really good bait for searching somewhat weedy water fairly quickly. It was definitely my best tactic in NC and PA where I fished lakes similar to Hagg. I don't know why I did not think of it before my last trip. Of course it has been about 18 years since I was on the East coast chasing bass in lakes.

My feeling is that a dropshot is good once you locate fish but is kind of slow as a search bait. If you have high confidence that there are going to be fish on a spot then a drop shot is a good choice, but if you want to cover a lot of water I would give the Carolina rig a try. I don't use a Carolina rig on the Willamette because it snags constantly in the rocks. Not a problem at Hagg.

A fly rod sounds fun, but I think I have too much junk with me already. Maybe once it warms a bit I will see if I can find my old box of poppers and try and catch some bluegill. I miss that kind of fishing. Do you target trout or bass with your fly rod? What types of flies are you fishing?

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
Interesting note about the trout on the crankbait. I was fishing it with a stop, go and twitch retrieve. They seemed to like the vibration. I have tried trolling mini crankbaits in the past for trout but almost never hook a fish. I had been trolling the crankbaits at 1mph (the speed I like for spinners). I think I need to troll the crankbaits a bit faster to get them really thumping. I will give that a try next time.

Perhaps this video, will OFFer some helpful hints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwXzDk3Mgg

T
TimberTodd
bass said:
A fly rod sounds fun, but I think I have too much junk with me already. Maybe once it warms a bit I will see if I can find my old box of poppers and try and catch some bluegill. I miss that kind of fishing. Do you target trout or bass with your fly rod? What types of flies are you fishing?
I have a 4wt,5wt and 7wt. The 4 & 5 wts I use for trout and panfish. I will toss wooley buggers and different nymph patterns. I use the 7 wt for bass. I have an assortment of surface poppers, frogs, and streamers/ baitfish patterns. Thanks for the suggestion of the Carolina rig.

B
Berg03
bass said:
Yes. I was out in my bright green Nucanoe kayak with a trolling motor (I also have a yellow Hobie pedal drive kayak). What time were you there?

Awesome job on the smallies! What did you catch them on and what time of day? I think I might have been fishing too far back into the cove.

Thanks for any info!

My go to for the smallies on hagg is a senko texas rigged no weight. Slower you fish the better. 2 weeks ago i got a 4lber and a 6.7lber. about 4 ft from eachother.
we should get out sometime together

Reactions: bass
B
Berg03
here are 2 of them from Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BaldTexan
Nice feesh!

bass
bass
Berg03 said:
My go to for the smallies on hagg is a senko texas rigged no weight. Slower you fish the better. 2 weeks ago i got a 4lber and a 6.7lber. about 4 ft from eachother.
we should get out sometime together

Thanks for the tips! Those are some awesome bass!!! I have never seen a smallmouth over 5lbs - I thought they were a myth :) Great pics from this weekend as well.

We will have to meet up one of these days for sure. I think next time out I will try a Carolina rig. It is hard to fish weightless from the kayak since it is moving. A carolina rig gives you that weightless presentation on the bait but is easier to control from a moving boat. If I can't get bit on the Carolina rig I will definitely go completely weightless.

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Perhaps this video, will OFFer some helpful hints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwXzDk3Mgg

Thanks TD, I have seen that video before.

What I have found is that for a spinner and worm slow is the way to go. I usually troll so that they GPS is bouncing around 1mph. I think my mistake is that for a crankbait I need to make sure I am trolling fast enough to get all the action out of the lure. I had been keeping my trolling speed quite low when I had a crankbait on one rod since I always still had a spinner on the other. Next time I will spend some time figuring out the speed at which I get all the action out of whatever crankbait I am trying and just let the spinner live with it. Maybe I am full of it, but there is only one way to find out :)