Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thanks for the info I will check it out!!

D
diggindan
Outboard parts,etc.

Outboard parts,etc.

steelhead_stalkers said:
Thanks for the info Andy. It looks like it might just be the water pump that went out, now its just figuring out how to fix it. Hopefully we can get it up and going for one last trip. On a good note both Siuslaw and Alsea look prime for winter steelhead and with the next big rain the lower rivers might produce a few early fish. :)

Apoligies for further sidetracking this thread. Marine Engines.com is a great resource for parts, manuals and such.
Good Luck, Dan
P.S. We're going to try Siltcoos tomorrow.

M
mikeredding
I will be down there tomorrow too.

J
JeannaJigs
I want to get out tomorrow but don't think i'll be making it, the boat is under lock and key lol.

Might bank fish or somethin' though

L
lotsolegs
Thuggin4Life said:
I almost thought I seen you guys entering the maple arm thursday as we were leaving. Have you been out there much this year?

We have gone just about every weekend... We went today and did not catch ANYTHING.. Someone please please please tell me what the secrets are to that dang lake:confused: We were trying just about everythiing (there were 5 of us on this boat) at all different times of the day... We have tried so many times and the drive up from eugene is a pain.. If you have any secrets we have an extra space on the boat we are happy to take you!!

Thanks;)

J
JeannaJigs
lotsolegs said:
We have gone just about every weekend... We went today and did not catch ANYTHING.. Someone please please please tell me what the secrets are to that dang lake:confused: We were trying just about everythiing (there were 5 of us on this boat) at all different times of the day... We have tried so many times and the drive up from eugene is a pain.. If you have any secrets we have an extra space on the boat we are happy to take you!!

Thanks;)

The secret is that the fish aren't cooperating. This time last year, I only had one slot left on my tag. Now I still have 3 slots to fill. I usually run plugs and do well, but this season they seem to be super fond of North Country sonic bells in pink and orange, and the hoochie variety I have seen fish caught on as well. Today there were good numbers in the river, next week they'll be in the arms. Between now and then, they scatter...and can be found just about anywhere in the lake. The key is finding them. Think that tomorrow the outlet would be the best bet. I'm probably going to be somewhere on the bank of the river

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
Think that tomorrow the outlet would be the best bet. I'm probably going to be somewhere on the bank of the river

That's where I was planning on spending my morning. Hopefully I can connect with one. Seems like it would be as good as of a place as any since every fish has to pass through there when coming in.

T
Thuggin4Life
if you need to borroww the boat you could.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
if you need to borroww the boat you could.

lol naw 'cause with my luck something would happen to it and I don't want that to happen. I'm gonna bank fish and hope for somethin' good.

J
JeannaJigs
and actually i have succeeded in conning the parental into going tomorrow so i won't be bank bound.

L
lotsolegs
We wont make it out tomorrow as we are in the process of a home remodel and there is just no way that we can play another day we have a lot to do (including getting the washer and dryer hooked back up and we really need that). We will be going next weekend if the fishing is good...or looks good. :think:Maybe I will come steal the queen of this forum and have her give me a good guided tour of what is where :lol:.. This is the first time fishing this lake and still getting to know it.. Good luck to all those who venture out tomorrow!!:)

C
CohoJaws
Some luck

Some luck

Okay yesterday on Tahkenitsh. Husband got two jacks (one dark) and a 29 incher. I love the chartruse blue fox: one followed up to surface on me, so we both fished it the rest of day. This seems to work for us. But, I was skunked again! So, sad, but got back out there this morning again. :pray: They weren't rolling like yesterday. Back to sleeping lake. Cold and no sign of fish. Don't know what to think. Thinking of steelhead on the Siuslaw and Alsea makes me feel better. We've been REALLY trying this year. Hope to see one of you sometime. We have an old '84 Koffler sled. LOL. Deb

J
JeannaJigs
only seen one fish at Siltcoos caught today, and it was an ugly dark fish. Seen a few dark ones jump up maple creek, but not a whole lot going on. Tried the river in the morning, but the fish were not there in huge numbers, and the ones that were, were scared outta their little fish minds....there were a few LARGE sea lions in the river, and two that i know of made it into the lake and dissappeared. Hate those things. An old guy said he saw about 12 of them goin' to town slaughtering the fish below the dam. That's where some of the fish may be goin'. one adult sea lion can do quite a bit of damage...10 or more...well, you get the idea. We headed home early because I caught a big one....got a treble hook in my hand. Two hooks, all the way through and back out past the barb. Was gonna go to Urgent Care or the ER to get 'em out, but I decided I didn't want to pay for it, so, I dealt with it myself...It was less than pleasant.

Mike, I saw you (I think) but i was in the zone fiddling with something...don't recall what, and didn't realize that it was your boat until we were way past, or I woulda said hi.

As for a guided trip lotsolegs, lol, I'm begining to lose faith in my own ability. The fish are there, and I know where they are at, and in previous years I've done quite well, but this year, I'm a bit dissapointed in the lake. I won't say no to an open seat lol, but I don't know how much help I would be. Though I guess the people I have gone with have proven to do quite well, and I showed 'em the ropes a bit, so who knows....I guess it's all luck really. Everyone on that lake could know exactly where to go, and the right technique...and if the fish aren't biting...all the experience in the world won't help ya. It's just about being in the right place at the right time, and there are a lot of factors that come into play on that. That's why it's called fishing lol

J
JeannaJigs
CohoJaws said:
Okay yesterday on Tahkenitsh. Husband got two jacks (one dark) and a 29 incher. I love the chartruse blue fox: one followed up to surface on me, so we both fished it the rest of day. This seems to work for us. But, I was skunked again! So, sad, but got back out there this morning again. :pray: They weren't rolling like yesterday. Back to sleeping lake. Cold and no sign of fish. Don't know what to think. Thinking of steelhead on the Siuslaw and Alsea makes me feel better. We've been REALLY trying this year. Hope to see one of you sometime. We have an old '84 Koffler sled. LOL. Deb

Glad to hear Tahkenitch is producing something. That's my favorite lake. I was hoping to get over there and lay the hurt on some Coho, but it hasn't really happened yet. Only seriously fished it one day, and all we got were some fat sea run cutts, but that was a month ago too. Didn't see a lot going on up the 5 mile arm couple of days ago. Actually, it was a dead zone, but I hear Leitel creek has started to produce, so perhaps Tahkenitch will start heating up, it generally is a little later than Siltcoos. Water temp is dropping though, wish it would stay around 55, but that won't happen. Today it was 51 on Siltcoos....it's droppin' fast :( I might make one more trip down there this weekend if I can pull some strings.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
Mike, I saw you (I think) but i was in the zone fiddling with something...don't recall what, and didn't realize that it was your boat until we were way past, or I woulda said hi.
I think I saw you too on the river. Wasn't for sure it was you and was just trying not to bounce off the gazillion boats down there. What a zoo.

Lots of fish in the river just after daylight but became very scarce after the boats and sea lions showed up.

I heard of 4 fish being caught yesterday and that was it. This may have been my last trip. Too costly of a run for bringing home the skunk.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
I think I saw you too on the river. Wasn't for sure it was you and was just trying not to bounce off the gazillion boats down there. What a zoo.

Lots of fish in the river just after daylight but became very scarce after the boats and sea lions showed up.

I heard of 4 fish being caught yesterday and that was it. This may have been my last trip. Too costly of a run for bringing home the skunk.

I was in the little blue mirrocraft with an old guy (my parental) I was runnin' around terrorist style with my hood on all day, my ears were dyin' in the cold lol. The boat show down there was ridiculous. There were some boats that were WAY too big to be in there, we bounced because between the bank anglers, sea lions and 10 thousand boats...it wasn't worth the frustration. We had a boat slam into us when the dude wasn't paying attention....not okay. If you're going to be in moving current, you can't not pay attention 100% of the time. I think I will be making one more trip...one last futile effort lol. I shouldn't but I feel obligated. My dad wants to go again but he said he was going to bring a 30-06 if he goes again...think in the best interest of not going to prison for being an accomplice, that I will be leaving him home lol.

B
billfish
sea lion almost wins battle.

sea lion almost wins battle.

went to the outlet today .when i pulled in to park there was no vehicles there .im thinking mmmm . i will have the hole place to my self nice .[good sighn].so im walking to my favorite spot i see one boat fighting a fish [ggod sighn] nice adult coho fished for about an hour saw one roll .then bat sighn asea lion pops his head up [badd sighn ] i say to my self if he is in here it could mean to things that fish are in here or he chased them in to the lake went down stream futher saw one role casted tho times then third cast got him the fish went CRAZY darting back and forth [im thinking hope that sea lion is not around ] he settled down so i get her up on the bank i look on its tail i see teeth marks. anyways [score : ] billfish 1 sealion 0 ] on the tail in the pics you can see how close i was to loosing that fish. THAT IS THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY [from a sea lion] lol.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man thats a crzy story. ****ing sealions.

W
windburnt
good job bill.:D

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
I was in the little blue mirrocraft with an old guy (my parental) I was runnin' around terrorist style with my hood on all day, my ears were dyin' in the cold lol. The boat show down there was ridiculous. There were some boats that were WAY too big to be in there, we bounced because between the bank anglers, sea lions and 10 thousand boats...it wasn't worth the frustration. We had a boat slam into us when the dude wasn't paying attention....not okay. If you're going to be in moving current, you can't not pay attention 100% of the time. I think I will be making one more trip...one last futile effort lol. I shouldn't but I feel obligated. My dad wants to go again but he said he was going to bring a 30-06 if he goes again...think in the best interest of not going to prison for being an accomplice, that I will be leaving him home lol.
Yep I definitely saw you and I saw the dude in the 20'+ alumaweld sled. Was the guy that hit you the dude in the drift boat cause he almost he me a couple of times?