Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

B
billfish
Thuggin4Life said:
Actually it has always been 5 wild coho on your tag no matter where they were caught. The added this statement to clarify the rules for people who are missinformed....5 total non fin-clipped adult coho salmon per year in aggregate with other NW and SW Zone waterbodies... and tak and silt are both in the NW zone. This year they opened up several coastal rivers to 5 wild coho a year but it still ment 5 a year period not 5 from everywhere you can keep 5. I even asked the sheriff on siltcoos after people tried to say it was 5 from silt and then 5 more from tak and the sheriff said go ahead and do it but i doubt you will want to pay the fine. Basically the rule is saying that you are allowed 5 wild coho a year total coming from any body of water in the NW and SW zones added up together to make 5. which was the rule to beggin with its just there to make it easier for people to understand. An with the text showing up I would imagine there will be the opportunity to get wild coho from many of the coastal rivers again next year.

very well put ! thats what it says .

J
JeannaJigs
Has ALWAYS been 5 wild fish a year, total. Period. You can get 3 outta Tahk, 2 outta Siltcoos, or whatever, but your total tagged fish cannot be more than 5, or you'll get a nice ticket in the mail when you turn in your tag, or, you get checked, and there's a trooper that likes to check tags often on the Siuslaw, checked mine twice in one day, and about 7 times total last year during the winter. They just changed the wording to make it clearer. Check the old reg books going back to 2003..each year they've played the wording differently, trying to make it simpler.

B
billfish
JeannaJigs said:
Has ALWAYS been 5 wild fish a year, total. Period. You can get 3 outta Tahk, 2 outta Siltcoos, or whatever, but your total tagged fish cannot be more than 5, or you'll get a nice ticket in the mail when you turn in your tag, or, you get checked, and there's a trooper that likes to check tags often on the Siuslaw, checked mine twice in one day, and about 7 times total last year during the winter. They just changed the wording to make it clearer. Check the old reg books going back to 2003..each year they've played the wording differently, trying to make it simpler.

right again . that is state trooper salsberry not shure if spelling is right .

C
Chrome_Chaser
Tuan

Coho jacks are between 15-20 inches and you do not need to tag them.
For 2009 the annual limit is 5 adult coho from each lake as specified in the regulation booklet. There is no annual limit on coho jacks. In the future, we intend to have the annual limit of five adults be for both lakes in aggregate along with other coastal wild coho fisheries. However, in 2009 we did not specify that in the regulation booklet so five are allowed from each lake.
See # 2.

Thanks for checking and good luck fishing!

Bob Buckman

ODFW

Newport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:44 AM
To: Robert Buckman
Subject: FW: Skiltcos and Tahkenitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:23 PM
To: odfw.info@state.or.us
Subject: Skiltcos and Tahkenitch

Dear ODFW,

I have a couple of questions regarding the cohos in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch Lake.

1) Is a jack considered to be between 15"-20" and do you have to tag them?

2) What is the yearly limit for the cohos from these two lakes?

3) Is it 5 total for both lakes or is it 5 for each lake?

Thank You,

Tuan

C
Chrome_Chaser
This is the e-mail I had received from the ODFW. I had also talked to the sheriff there and was told that my information was correct. All I can say is talk to the ODFW.

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok so heres is a question what do you do with a 14" coho?

C
Chrome_Chaser
Thuggin4Life said:
Ok so heres is a question what do you do with a 14" coho?

Considered as a jack. You can keep one a day without tagging it.

C
Chedster
Thanks for posting that email, good to know. I got a 2o incher a few weeks ago from the siltcoos but tagged it to be safe.

T
Thuggin4Life
Here are some random pics i pulled of my cell phone to add the the thread.

Last edited:
B
Bfishin
Sweet pics bro! :dance:

S
Salmon Whammy
steelhead_stalkers said:
Thought I would post this here. Sounds like the new state record coho was caught out of siltcoos as I suspected it would this year!! It was over 26lbs, unfortunately the guy did not get it officially weighed but took the weight himself and measurements. I am sure a picture will surface soon. Pretty cool though!!

I have a picture of the Coho that was caught on Siltcoos Lake. A customer of ours Tony Radovich caught the fish on Nov.24,2009. He was using our 3 1/2 Super Hoochie in Green and Chartreuse. He was casting from his patio boat in the Fiddlle Creek Arm. He caught it about 3:30 P.M.
Salmon Whammy ( Dean)
North Country Lures and Flies
Welcome to North Country Lures & Flies
541-997-7080

T
TTFishon
Salmon Whammy said:
I have a picture of the Coho that was caught on Siltcoos Lake. A customer of ours Tony Radovich caught the fish on Nov.24,2009. He was using our 3 1/2 Super Hoochie in Green and Chartreuse. He was casting from his patio boat in the Fiddlle Creek Arm. He caught it about 3:30 P.M.
Salmon Whammy ( Dean)
North Country Lures and Flies
Welcome to North Country Lures & Flies
541-997-7080

So lets see the pic.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah lets see it. Love your lures man got 3 out 4 of my coho this year on them. So did a few people i know. The best one is the one i found in the river. caught and lost a few this year. I'll send you some pics sometime.

C
Chrome_Chaser
Welcome Dean to a great fishing forum. I forgot to mention this forum to you when we met, my bad.
I can vouch for his lures. They do work for cohos.

T
Thuggin4Life
Chrome_Chaser said:
Welcome Dean to a great fishing forum. I forgot to mention this forum to you when we met, my bad.

Ahah so thats the secret lure!

J
Jacks Tackle
Chrome_Chaser said:

+1 :clap:

Dean and Pat make incredible spinners as well as a ton of other fish catching tackle!

RB

C
Chrome_Chaser
Thuggin4Life said:
Ahah so thats the secret lure!

That's the secret lure.:clap:

J
JeannaJigs
Lol it's a not so secret lure, being that almost everyone out there has at least one :)

F
fishhunter
I need a secret:dance: lure.

J
Jacks Tackle
JeannaJigs said:
Lol it's a not so secret lure, being that almost everyone out there has at least one :)

But they should have 3 or 4! Plus Dean can put together custom stuff so you have a 5th one hidden away that no one else knows about!:D

RB