Second river salmon trip

L
LuckyFisher
I caught my first river salmon Saturday and I caught another two this morning. I'm totally addicted now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Raincatcher
M
Modest_Man
Not very many places right now you can kill a wild coho.

L
LuckyFisher
I was on the Alsea where it is legal. I'm new to this, but I'm pretty sure both are Chinook.

Y
Yogidabear
The second pictures looks like a saber tooth black labrador why would you keep it?

P
plumb2fish
Don't take your pics down because the internet police chime in. Hold your head high and keep right on posting. If you are excited about your catch and want to post pics, lots of us like to see them.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmm, I would like to see the whole report and the pics. We don't all judge. I remember the excitement and the mistakes when I first started fishing.

I
Igor
Raincatcher said:
Hmm, I would like to see the whole report and the pics. We don't all judge. I remember the excitement and the mistakes when I first started fishing.

Yes ... well said! Please do not let the opinions or criticism of a vocal few diminish your excitement.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
LuckyFisher; I am able to un-delete your original post, but I won't do it without your permission. Please let me know if you would like to share it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Modest_Man said:

having not seen the pictures, I am thinking that Modest_Man had not checked a calendar and did not realize that Sept. 15 had come and gone; perhaps an apology is in order here. and I would love to see the pictures. roger

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:

Yeah, only the entire North Coast.

M
Modest_Man
Aka 9 rivers in the state right now. (Nehalem, Nestucca, Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Coos, and Coquille). It was a boot of a wild coho buck that he thought was a Chinook which he lucked into tagging the day after wild coho retention was allowed on the Alsea.

There's no excuse to not know your fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
Yeah, only the entire North Coast.

yes, the entire coast has open water, I count 16 rivers/creeks/tidewaters and 1 lake, with 2 more lakes opening on soon.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Modest_Man said:
Aka 9 rivers in the state right now. (Nehalem, Nestucca, Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Coos, and Coquille). It was a boot of a wild coho buck that he thought was a Chinook which he lucked into tagging the day after wild coho retention was allowed on the Alsea.

with all due respect, there is no excuse for not exactly knowing the regulations. open are: Nehalem, Miami, Trask, Kilchis, Tillamook, Beaver Creek, Nestucca, Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Coos, Floras Cr/New River, Coquille, and Tenmile Lakes.

"Not very many places right now you can kill a wild coho. " really?

you owe him an apology. roger

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:
Aka 9 rivers in the state right now. (Nehalem, Nestucca, Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Coos, and Coquille).

Miami, Kilchis, Wilson, Trask, Tillamook.

It was a boot of a wild coho buck that he thought was a Chinook which he lucked into tagging the day after wild coho retention was allowed on the Alsea.

I never saw the pics. But I agree with the last part. I also forgive newbies for a one-time transgression of fishing ethics. We were all new once, and not everyone has a great mentor to teach them about such things.

D
DrTheopolis
North Fork Nehalem, too.

B
Big3d
Pictures need to go back up, LuckyFisher, things happen, just enjoy your day and don't let others ruin it. If you can learn something then great, but as far as I can tell you were legal, maybe not the best quality keeper meat but who cares. If i have a vote it's up with the pics

I
Igor
rogerdodger said:
with all due respect, there is no excuse for not exactly knowing the regulations. open are: Nehalem, Miami, Trask, Kilchis, Tillamook, Beaver Creek, Nestucca, Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Coos, Floras Cr/New River, Coquille, and Tenmile Lakes.

"Not very many places right now you can kill a wild coho. " really?

you owe him an apology. roger

Absolutely!

Admin
Admin
I have to say 2 things. First as an angler. When I started to learn fishing in Oregon, I did it all. I fished rivers, that were closed, I caught fish that wasn't allowed. By mistake, of course. And now I will not put a finger to anyone for anything. Well at least fishing related. ) I don't know if topic starter made a mistake, but I see an OFFer making a mistake, thinking that he has a judge cap on. Let's tolerate each other and each others mistakes.

As an Admin I want to let you know, that this forum is for anglers. To all judges. I suggest you to move from here to Oregon Forum of Judges.

Y
Yogidabear
plumb2fish said:
Don't take your pics down because the internet police chime in. Hold your head high and keep right on posting. If you are excited about your catch and want to post pics, lots of us like to see them.

Plumb would you keep a fish that was that black? If I offended the op I'm sorry I just understand why someone whoud keep a fish in that condition.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
I don't usually keep anything with any dark color. There's no such thing as "smoker quality" - it's either a good fish or not.

BUT... if it's his first solo-caught fish, cut him some slack. I'm guessing once he eats it, it will be the last dark fish he ever keeps.

We were all new once.