Alsea River fishing reports

M
michigan_transplant
Quick question about Jacks guys. How many of nook Jacks can you keep?? Another thing is are there Coho Jacks in the Alsea and if so can you keep them??

M
Mike123
You can keep 5 I think.. don't have to tag them. Don't think you can keep any coho, but that's a good question. I was wondering the same thing. I've never caught a coho jack though.. hmmm..

Here's the little chrome football I got last week.
He SWALLOWED a 3/0 hook. I couldn't get the hook back! Pumped my own shrimp and HOLY CRAP there are some huge shrimp in Waldport!! Size of crawdads!

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
You can keep jack ho's on the rivers/lakes where the retention of their adult non clipped siblings is allowed, and the quantity you're allowed retained, changes pretty much every year it seems. Otherwise, ixnay on the jack coho-ay. yeahhh. Jack coho are probably the best tasting salmon ever though.

Mike how long was that jack?

M
michigan_transplant
@ Jenna, I figured that, thanks though.

M
Mike123
Didn't measure it.. I'd say about 22in...

A
alseaalumaweld
theres coho jacks there kinda rare

S
steelhead1
We got one yesterday(jack coho) under the rd 58 bridge.Chromer,wild, released!Lots of fresh fish runnin the rapid at tidewater.C'mon rain!:D

M
master-baiter
Doesn anyone know, roughly, how many more weeks tidewater will be good to fish? Or when to start heading upriver?

thanks =)

T
the_intimidator03
Just to chime in on the "jack" coho. The Oregon Regulations state that a jack coho is between 15-20 inches all other species of salmon a jack is between 15-24 inches.

M
Mike123
master-baiter said:
Doesn anyone know, roughly, how many more weeks tidewater will be good to fish? Or when to start heading upriver?

thanks =)

Tide water will fish into November.. All of October is good! Really, me and everyone I know always do the best for (chinook) in LATE October and into the first two weeks of November. I always catch a lot of coho this early. But there are chinook to be had. Lots of jacks in there right now.

T
The Yaquina Bay Master
Does anyone know how the fishing is for any type of salmon in any coastal river other than the Alsea?

M
master-baiter
Mike123 said:
Tide water will fish into November.. All of October is good! Really, me and everyone I know always do the best for (chinook) in LATE October and into the first two weeks of November. I always catch a lot of coho this early. But there are chinook to be had. Lots of jacks in there right now.

oh ok, that explains why its been so slow. Thanks for the input!

The Yaquina Bay Master said:
Does anyone know how the fishing is for any type of salmon in any coastal river other than the Alsea?

Heard from a friend the yaquina is slow. Not sure about siletz.

J
JeannaJigs
The Yaquina Bay Master said:

Welp, pretty much all the coastal rivers have fish in them now, whether or not you can get them to bite is another story. I suspect this week might not be so great with the warm weather across the board though. Water temps need to drop and some rain would be helpful. However, people have been catching fish in pretty much every coastal river. Also. you might get more responses in regards to other rivers, under another section, probably the generic salmon thread, as this thread is listed under the Alsea, and is about...dun, dun, dun...the Alsea :shock: I know, it's crazy.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
Welp, pretty much all the coastal rivers have fish in them now, whether or not you can get them to bite is another story. I suspect this week might not be so great with the warm weather across the board though. Water temps need to drop and some rain would be helpful. However, people have been catching fish in pretty much every coastal river. Also. you might get more responses in regards to other rivers, under another section, probably the generic salmon thread, as this thread is listed under the Alsea, and is about...dun, dun, dun...the Alsea :shock: I know, it's crazy.

BAhaha... we need a new Alsea thread. This one is ancient.

J
JeannaJigs
I know right? We ARE allowed to have more than one thread per river sub-category over the course of ten years lol

A
alseaalumaweld
start a new one then lol this has lots of good info in it and keeps getting updated

S
steelhead1
dirty bucks

dirty bucks

Well,I guess the water is too low and warm to hook any more than six:think:.But yeah,there will be more fish comin' in later....Heres the four I landed today:lol:

• DSC00347(1).jpg
  • DSC00349(1).jpg
  • DSC00348(1).jpg
  • DSC00345.jpg
M
Mike123
They'll smoke up fine.

S
steelhead1
c&r!!!!:D

M
master-baiter
that kills me. (good for you, bad for me) Nice fish. I would say thats a productive day. Do you mind me asking how far up that is?