Alsea River fishing reports

J
JeannaJigs
Bait of choice was home cured roe and yarnballs in a plethora of colors (some globug, some pop-a-top) dunked in special sauce.

P
plumb2fish
Unfortunately with the OSU hatchery located in the Alsea drainage there will never be a season on coho there....not all that appear native are native.....

J
JeannaJigs
True. It's like this on all the coastal rivers though. The siuslaw is packed with the damn things and the nooks are few and far between. It's all politics. Keeps guides in business I guess....

S
steelheadstalker31
I agree with Jeanna, there are 10x as many coho as chinook. It makes no sense to keep chinook and realease coho. They are going to take over these rivers.

S
skunk
I think that might be classified as 'cruel and unusual taunting'! Good job on the fish.

C
Chrome_Chaser
Dang guys, looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Did you guys catch any bright Chinooks?

J
JeannaJigs
Chrome_Chaser said:
Dang guys, looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Did you guys catch any bright Chinooks?

No, saw a few brighter nooks but I think the majority are nasty. We got a beast of a hen to the boat but she was squirting eggs. A "sportsman" on the bank scoffed when she was released, and his son that couldn't have been more than about five says "we keep the ugly fish for the eggs" after a comment about his "sportsman like" attitude, they left shortly thereafter.

Keeping nasty hens for eggs is jacked up.

Last edited:
M
michigan_transplant
How did the river look?? Was it high around 5 rivers???

J
JeannaJigs
michigan_transplant said:
How did the river look?? Was it high around 5 rivers???

Was wicked low and clear, hovering above 3'5, and it was on the drop. This was Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:
C
Chedster
JeannaJigs said:
No, saw a few brighter nooks but I think the majority are nasty. We got a beast of a hen to the boat but she was squirting eggs. A "sportsman" on the bank scoffed when she was released, and his son that couldn't have been more than about five says "we keep the ugly fish for the eggs" after a comment about his "sportsman like" attitude, they left shortly thereafter.

Keeping nasty hens for eggs is jacked up.

That's awesome to hear you guys released the nasty ones. If she made it to the point in her life when she's spitten eggs, let her go to finish her life cycle. Can't wait for the whole river to open up for winter steel, less than two weeks!

S
steelhead1
That is awesome, I am glad you and mike got into some fish!I am still stung from it being insinuated that when a person gets into those fish like that, they are LINING them.It is an awesome experience to catch double digits in a day,but only if you are hooking them in a fair and sporting way,eh Mike?I am sure most (probably all) of the those fish were fair hooked,just like the days when we get into em in such numbers:)>
JeannaJigs said:
Went out with mike this last weekend in my boat and I think we pretty much dominated the river. Didn't see much other action going on near us but we hooked up probably in two days, close to 100 times. Lost count of fish landed. Lost several large chinook, and lost count of the ridiculous number of hos landed and lost. Literally were several doubles, and several first cast fish ons, or back to back casts producing some damn nice fish. To say that coho are endangered in this river, is a crock. I say close chinook and open it to 5 coho a year like has been done on other rivers, 'cause you can't keep the things off your line. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. Seriously.

M
michigan_transplant
thanks for the update. i guess i should have checked online though cause its been dumping since then. says it went from 3 to 8, which is where it is now. prolly too high to fish for darkies down that far. might have to wait for winter steel.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think if its a hatchery fish its probably better to remove it and take the eggs but being that its a native Chinook releasing was perfect. More babies to head back to the ocean because of it!

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
I think if its a hatchery fish its probably better to remove it and take the eggs but being that its a native Chinook releasing was perfect. More babies to head back to the ocean because of it!

If a fish is dark with guaranteed white meat not worthy of even my smoker, squirting eggs on my leg...even if it's a hatchery fish, i'm not going to waste it for eggs, that aren't gonna be worth curing anyways. However, that's just my opinion, I'm not tagging something that's almost already a rotting carcass.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, I agree. I was more talking about dark Chinook that the eggs are still firm and could make it to the smoker for friends! :D Not half dead fish. ;)

S
Steelyfishn
Weather turns out perfect and a Bonus Nook

Weather turns out perfect and a Bonus Nook

Headed over to the Alsea today ( Jeanna Jigs and Mike inspired me ) weather was perfect water level was a murky 6.5 when we got there by noon the river shaped up had that nice green color. Fishin was slow we floated from Rivers Edge to Blackberry. After a long morning once the river cleaned up I hooked up 3 and landed a Nice Buck... Thanks for the inspiration and tips Jeanna

• 2010%20Nov%2020%20Chinook.jpg
S
steelhead_stalkers
Nice fish! Glad to know UV did not scare those fish away. ;)

Is that an easy drift or is it technical? Thanks

Last edited:
S
Steelyfishn
steelhead_stalkers said:
Nice fish! Salmon do not like UV. ;)

It was easy. That river seems easy to handle. But I will run sticks on your boat for you so you can see...lol

H
halibuthitman
steelhead_stalkers said:
Nice fish! Glad to know UV did not scare those fish away. ;)

aaww come on SS... get out there and put a dent in that shiny new boat!!!;):cool:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its like a raft right? We can just bounce off rocks and stuff!? Everyone will know if I am rowing down river, we will be going in a circle and Daniel will be puking! :lol: