Your first fly

I
I <3 <><
So I have seen afew "My first fly threads", some of them are not so bad, some of them well...

Anyway I thought it would be cool to post pics of peoples first fly, even the pro's on here. If anything it might give hope and encouragement to the starters.

I shall start, with this ugly thing. I was so excited when I got my vise I just took it out and started to tie. All I had was some pintail feathers. And I went out and bought some sewing thread before hand because I kinda expected to get the vise as a gift. I figured I would whip it out and start making beautiful size 20 dries right off the bat. About 2 years later I can make decent size 18 dries. :) Did not do much research on how to tie before I got the vise so I learned rather slowly.
Perty fly..jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
dont have a picture of mine.. had a fish break my line :lol: but i caught 3 fish in 3 casts on my first fly, it was an elk hair caddis in olive with mayfly tails, on the 6th cast i hooked a nice one but it broke me off..bigsteel was there :)

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
My first attempts at fly tying were very crude, incredibly crude - tied on #8 baitholder hooks, using sewing thread, cat hair (don't judge) and feathers pulled from an old pillow. Ugly, ugly, ugly flies. Never caught anything on them.

My first real flies tied with actual tools (vs holding the hook in my hand, winding the thread by hand, no bobbin) were Woolly Buggers. They were also pretty ugly, but they did catch fish.

F
FlyBum
The first fly I learned to tie was a Red San Juan worm, because I got tired of paying 2 bucks a pop in Montana! Really really simple, three materials, that's it! (most times I'd add a bead though)
1: Hook
2: Red thread
3: Red chenille

My suggestion to all these new tiers is to pick a few patterns that you really like to fish and buy the materials for those and get proficient with them, and then expand. Just a suggestion though :)

Last edited:
I
I <3 <><
Psssh! Nobody took pics of their first fly?!

brandon4455
brandon4455
nope. i tied it,put it in my fly box and went fishing.. i was at the river too busy fishing to take pics :lol:

O
OnTheFly
I <3 <>< said:
Psssh! Nobody took pics of their first fly?!
You want pictures of the first fly? Oh heck no. Tail and wings were too long, so much dubbing it looked pregnant, the hackle was a complete mess and out of proportion, the head was too big and I buried the hook eye with thread so not even 8x tippet could pass through it. And this was the best fly out of three and took 45 minutes to tie each. So no....no pictures.;)

Y
Yohan
OnTheFly said:
You want pictures of the first fly? Oh heck no. Tail and wings were too long, so much dubbing it looked pregnant, the hackle was a complete mess and out of proportion, the head was too big and I buried the hook eye with thread so not even 8x tippet could pass through it. And this was the best fly out of three and took 45 minutes to tie each. So no....no pictures.;)

Ha, I couldn't have explained it better myself. You just gave a perfect description of my first fly.

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:

Yep :lol:

I
I <3 <><
OnTheFly said:

Lol Dude did you see the picture I posted of mine?! All it is is thread and some feather, I had no idea how to do a half hitch or a whip finish so there was no knot at all. :D

Comon someone has to have pictures of their first fly, or the guts to post em! :)