Yellow perch?

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've been thinking about dragging my boat down to Siltcoos Lake.
Mainly because it's not too far and I've always wanted to give yellow perch fishing a try.
Anyone care to provide me with an opinion on this topic?
Tips on tactics would be much appreciated also.
At present my idea is to fish with leadhead jigs.
I don't really know if that is effective for yellow perch.
I always have done satisfactorily using them for other pan fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
C
Choptech
from my last couple trips to Tahkenitch I have learned they will bite about anything they can get their mouths around. I caught a nice one last weekend on a wacky rigged senko on a 2/O hook. had a few following my spinner bait in and trying to get it. Good Luck

B
billfisher
They are bottom feeders so I use a drop shot with bait holder hooks or aberdeen . I prefer aberdeen as they are longer and easier to remove. Two hooks one foot apart first one 8 inches off the bottom. I use nightcrawlers with white crappie nibblets until they are biting good then cut one up and use the fillet with skin on. you'll catch 8 or 10 with one bait that way. Good luck!

troutdude
troutdude
Back in the 80's, we did extremely well with a bobber and worm...about 2' below the surface. Reel in very slowly, and BAM! The reedy areas, around Butterfly Island, was the ticket for us. Might work in the reeds, in any similar Island location.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Great info guys.
I just hope I can put it to use soon.
My fish finder quit and although I have another the mounts for it have been broken.
I've just got to figure out how to remount it and I'll be good to go.