Would you eat ...............

hobster
hobster
Genetically modified salmon? The FDA yesterday approved genetically modified salmon for human consumption, the first animal to be approved. These fish take half as long to mature (2 years) and are raised in tanks. There are also no regulations in effect to label these products, so you won't know if it is genetically modified or not. There are some stores refusing to sell the fish ( Trader Joes, Target..etc.) which is great and the fishing industry is not at all thrilled (ecpecially in Alaska). This is wrong on so many levels....Yuck!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have no problems with genetic modification of food but I do have problems with farm raised fish.

By the way, you are the genetically modified result of your parents. Lol

P
pinstriper
I wish they would GMO the bones out of salmon. That would be an improvement. Also, 4 fillets per fish. Sure, the thing will look silly, but you get twice the meat !

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
there are a wide range of genetic modifications; this is a scientifically complex issue, doesn't fit on a bumper sticker.

what bothers me the most are the organisms that are genetically modified to tolerate a higher level of toxins. while these things might not be of any concern in the food supply themselves, the additional toxins they potentially carry in with them is something to think about.

farm raising fish in areas where similar non-farm fish exist is nuts. I am very encouraged that the new leadership in Canada will un-gag the scientists and finally put some sanity back into their regulation of this industry.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
more details: FDA approved these salmon only for land based farming:
----------------------
Containment: Under the approval, AquAdvantage Salmon are subject to stringent conditions to prevent the possibility of escape into the wild. The salmon cannot be raised in ocean net pens: instead, the approval allows for them to be grown only at two specific land-based facilities: one in Canada, where the breeding stock are kept, and Panama, where the fish for market will be grown out using eggs from the Canada facility.
------------------------

this could actually have the effect of advancing the technology and economics of land based salmon farming.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
So, instead of finding cleaner ways to farm fish, let's engineer fish to tolerate high levels of filth? Have the pharmaceutical companies branched out, because that's sounds a lot like "don't be concerned with diet and exercise, just pop my miracle pill, and you too can live forever! We need to stop accepting ways to work around bad things, and take responsibility for them, and avoid repeating them. Just saying, can does not always equal should.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
By the way, you are the genetically modified result of your parents. Lol

not saying it is bad or dangerous but these fish do have a slightly more complex genetic modification than the "bow-chicka-bow-wow" that creates us:

"Starting with the genome of the Atlantic salmon,.. scientists made two changes. They took the gene for a growth hormone from the Chinook salmon, the largest of the Pacific salmon species, and kicked that hormone into overdrive with a promoter gene taken from ocean pout, an eel-like fish that can survive and grow in near-freezing waters. “Usually the salmon’s growth hormone gets turned off during colder months,” says Eric Hallerman, fish conservation scientist at Virginia Tech University. The pout’s promoter gene basically makes sure the Chinook growth gene never gets shut off. Voila: a mega-fish."

they are also triploid fish, like the hatchery trout raised here in Oregon, so they do not develop sexually, making it impossible for them to mix their genetics in with non-GMO fish...

cheers, roger

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/in-a-f...fied-salmon-for-eating-it-just-took-20-years/

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I'd buy that fish!

pinstriper said:
I wish they would GMO the bones out of salmon. That would be an improvement. Also, 4 fillets per fish. Sure, the thing will look silly, but you get twice the meat !

Irishrover
Irishrover
GMO Salmon are one thing, but trying to find GMO bait can be a real hassle. I wonder about raising them in Panama. I have heard they have an abundance of locks down there with the cannel and all, but a relative shortage of bagels. Locks being a GMO lox.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I look for the herring modified with a pro cure gene. A lot of people don't like it because it was created by big pharma.

Irishrover said:
GMO Salmon are one thing, but trying to find GMO bait can be a real hassle. I wonder about raising them in Panama. I have heard they have an abundance of locks down there with the cannel and all, but a relative shortage of bagels. Locks being a GMO lox.

O
OnTheDrop
Who needs farm raised fish when we live in Oregon.

The boys from today won't be needing any of that soon ;)
image.jpg

S
sapo
Looks like a fun day ^^
In response to the thread..
Ya I don't eat any farm raised fish or shellfish..nasty

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Soylent Green is people, no thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sapo said:

same here, we are already eating fish/crab/shellfish that we catch like 4 days a week all year, so no chance of buying anything farm raised and I am extremely opposed to ocean pen raised salmon...

that said, my conclusion after what I read today is that if we are just comparing farm raised salmon, these new GMO fish are not a danger and probably less environmentally harmful compared to what is going on now...

ps- nice haul Tanner!

hobster
hobster
OnTheDrop said:
Who needs farm raised fish when we live in Oregon.

The boys from today won't be needing any of that soon ;)

Very nice! You are correct, we should take advantage of our great resources in the northwest.

This is taking farm raised to another level. It is just wrong to pump fish full of hormones so they grow twice as fast, and very wierd. We are messing with mother nature too much here. Remember mad cow disease? They were dropping like flies because of the unnatural hormones being fed to them. Pretty much all the fish i eat i catch anyway (except tuna) so i ain't too worried but this seems crazy.

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
that said, my conclusion after what I read today is that if we are just comparing farm raised salmon, these new GMO fish are not a danger and probably less environmentally harmful compared to what is going on now...

Um.... ok. Maybe i'm just cynical but i don't trust them.............in the immortal words of Jimi Hendrix " you can't believe everything you see and hear can you"........now if you will excuse me, i must be on my way

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've actually had some that was really good. In fact, I'm sure that most of what I eat at restaurants is farm raised. I wouldn't know and I'm not willing to adjust my lifestyle around the prospect of eating a farm raised fish.

However, I won't buy it at the store because the pens seem to be a source of disease that affects wild fish that pass through the estuaries where the farms reside.

sapo said:
Looks like a fun day ^^
In response to the thread..

jamisonace
jamisonace
You have good reason to be cynical. After spending over a decade in advertising I can tell you that no one tells the entire truth....ever. Especially when money is involved. Personally, I just don't find anything about GMO concerning. Everything we eat is GMO to one degree or another. Even humans are treated with growth hormones and there are plenty of Amazon tribes that would eat them anyway.

hobster said:
Um.... ok. Maybe i'm just cynical but i don't trust them.............in the immortal words of Jimi Hendrix " you can't believe everything you see and hear can you"........now if you will excuse me, i must be on my way

troutdude
troutdude
GaryP1958 said:
Soylent Green is people, no thanks!

Can't believe that this comment, went unnoticed! LOL

P.S. Ian Anderson--front man for Jethro Tull--might not like GMO's. He's a filthy rich Scottish businessman, who has farm raised fish for quite some time.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
You're thick as a brick!:D